Paratrooper M-1 Carbine?

Would it be legal to put a repro paratrooper stock on an M-1 carbine? On the one hand, it's a pistol grip, detachable mag, and folding stock, but on the other hand, one could argue that it's not actually a pistol grip, but the world's only design for a folding thumbhole stock. Any sound advice or experience?

IANAL, but I believe this falls under the AWB. The thumbhole/pistol grip is a non issue as folding is also a no-no under the ban so unless you are pinning it open it doesn't matter. If it is a GI carbine it is obviously pre-ban, the question then becomes whether or not it had a folding stock prior to the ban. Some folks would tell you it's pre-ban put it on and let them try to prove it wasn't like that pre-94 if they want. Me personally, I wouldn't want to be the test case. Just my .02

Yes, under the MA AWB it would be illegal.

Concerning the "evil features"... I don't believe there's any argument that the folding stock design clearly has a pistol grip. Also, many M1's have a bayonet lug (your's may or may not), so... add one more strike.

As far as proving the guns pre-ban configuration status, if it's an ODCMP carbine, it wouldn't be very difficult to prove if it was assembled into a verboten configuration prior to 09/13/94 or not.

A standard M1 carbine with or without the bayonet lug is fine under MA law and isn't an AW unless it was (highly unlikely) fitted with a flash hider and bayonet lug on 9/13/1994.

As I was futilely trying to explain to someone else in the Firearms forum, with a CMP carbine, it's absurdly easy to prove that the firearm was not in paratrooper configuration on that date because the Italian carbines that are being sold now were put into storage in standard configuration before that.

The paratroopers that CMP will be selling are a different matter. Those were used by the Greeks and were in that configuration prior to 94 so they should be OK.

In short, converting a standard M1 carbine to paratrooper config in Massachusetts is illegal. kthxbye.

A standard M1 carbine with or without the bayonet lug is fine under MA law and isn't an AW unless it was (highly unlikely) fitted with a flash hider and bayonet lug on 9/13/1994.

As I was futilely trying to explain to someone else in the Firearms forum, with a CMP carbine, it's absurdly easy to prove that the firearm was not in paratrooper configuration on that date because the Italian carbines that are being sold now were put into storage in standard configuration before that.

The paratroopers that CMP will be selling are a different matter. Those were used by the Greeks and were in that configuration prior to 94 so they should be OK.

In short, converting a standard M1 carbine to paratrooper config in Massachusetts is illegal. kthxbye.

Eh? What paratroopers that the CMP will be selling???????

They brought in 750 from Greece that will be sold starting early next year. Not sure if it will be open sale or auction.

And just so we clear this up, these paratroopers are believed to be originals (Inlands, the only manufacturer that made them from the factory). Even if they're mix masters, they're all USGI parts and stocks.

So they're not really Greek. Unless they've been stored in a frat house.

And just so we clear this up, these paratroopers are believed to be originals (Inlands, the only manufacturer that made them from the factory). Even if they're mix masters, they're all USGI parts and stocks.

So they're not really Greek. Unless they've been stored in a frat house.

Boy, I REALLY want one... [grin]

Back
Top Bottom