parachute for a tarp-tent or other survival needs?

parachute for a tarp-tent or other survival needs?

So for some reason over this weekend it occurred to be me that buying a parachute for it's material and perhaps using to create a tarp-temp type of shelter would be a great idea. I remember seeing parachutes for sale at the army navy store in downtown Boston for like 24 bucks. Was this a flash of genius or not?

http://www.tarptent.com/projects/tarpdesign.html

Last edited:
Not waterproof. If you string up tight enough it will shed water. But it has to be tight. Water will wick through if anything is touching the fabric even if tight. Works for some things.

Parachutes make great sunshades to hang over your picnic table.
They give you filtered sunlight,look cool,and keep thoose green little worms from droppin' out of the trees and on to your lunch.

My buddy had him mom make him a tarp tent using that design. It is light and good for light precip. We were hit with a snowstorm above 11000 ft this spring in the Sierra. His tarp was sagging but held up. Location of set up is everything.
I always recommend a standard "blue tarp". They are cheap and if the grommets are tight, you can set them up well.
You want sil-nylon if you are going to follow that plan. Take your time seam sealing it and you will have a nice ultra light shelter. In a survival situation, you might want something more heavy duty.

I keep a 5 X 7 blue tarp in my hunting pack in case I need to rig a shelter.

Along the same lines but a lil'bit fancier
Tent005.jpg

TentCapacitymk3.gif

Its really more of a tent than a tarp but its just 18.7 ounces, and $107.05 shipped to Ma/NH.

Open floor, no bottom. It can hold three if you suspend it instead of cutting a stick for a center pole.

Thinking seriously about putting one in the pack or Bug-Out bag.

Back in the day, we used to have a regular WWII surplus parachute that we'd set up as a tent/sub shade at the beach using some regular tent pegs, a few aluminum rods and paracord. Worked great. It was easily big enough for a dozen people, yet folded up into a small rucksack.

Ken

An old school parachute might take care of you for a while, but I would think a more modern one would degrade pretty quickly if exposed to the weather for too long.

Maybe I should try it out this winter, I found a ragged out canopy last year... If it was airworthy it would have a different fate of course.

Two layers of canopy are fairly good for keeping the water off...if it's REALLY tight.
It's better suited as a sun shade. I've always been taught the orange panels offer the most UV protection (3 layers defeat 90%+ UV). I used them a lot during desert survival exercises.
I like to have parachute panels around for ground to air signals, but for lightweight shelter, I prefer sili-nylon. For cost-effectiveness, I like tarps. What I really like about the sili-nylon is it's more pliable than a tarp when it's really cold.

I'll bring this 5 year old thread back to life. A guy at work just gave me an old surplus parachute still in original box and plastic, looks to be in mint condition. I'm not interested in using it as a tent but are there any other good uses for it, or will it just take up room in my basement?

The box says it was made in 1980, does paracord degrade with time or can I at least salvage that?

I'll bring this 5 year old thread back to life. A guy at work just gave me an old surplus parachute still in original box and plastic, looks to be in mint condition. I'm not interested in using it as a tent but are there any other good uses for it, or will it just take up room in my basement?

The box says it was made in 1980, does paracord degrade with time or can I at least salvage that?

I have cut up and used many during years of teaching/training.

What type of parachute is it? I may be able to post some links if you share what type it is; cargo, reserve, main etc. and description.

Matt

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom