Para Ordinance pistols

unfortunatly we here in Ma cannot get HK pistols.I feel a little guilty here asking a question on a subject and seem to have started WW3 understand I appreciate the info advice etc and started a very large broohaha have been watching site and would have answered sooner but just getting the feeling back in my hand.had surgery mon morn

I choose H&K USP Compacts to carry because they offer double/single action, and the option of carrying "cocked and locked".
I've got a couple HK USP Compacts. While they are decent guns, I find the DA trigger is terrible and the SA trigger is only fair. They also seem to have more muzzle rise for me than my aluminum frame Kimber Compact. The slide on the HK USP is ridiculously large. Also, the safety lever is not shaped as nicely for me as the 1911.

The USPc is not a bad gun, but it just misses on too many points for my taste. YMMV.

H&Ks are available, but at a high premium price due to our AG!

Check with Zero Hour Arms, as they frequently get a few in for sale in MA.

I agree with M1911. I have two H&K USPc pistols and love them, but the trigger is terrible on them. I no longer carry them. Someday I might try to get a trigger job done on them.

I have a P14.40 that I frequent the range with... another offer is out there if you want to PM me and head to Haverhill for a try at it.

I love it... Beautiful piece.. too large for me to carry although that was the original intent when I purchased it. Everyone that has shot it wants it.

Last edited:
Someday I might try to get a trigger job done on them.
Unfortunately, there's not much a gunsmith can do with the USPc. You can lower the weight of the DA pull by cutting the spring, but that can lead to light strikes.

There's a long, relatively flexible piece of stamped steel that connects the trigger to the sear. I've been told by one gunsmith that because of the flexibility of that piece, you just can't get a crisp trigger on an HK USPc. Dunno if that's correct, but that's what I was told.

as we are on the topic of para pistols.
my searches on yahoo and google always seem to yield people posting about reliability and quality control issues that lead them to not recomend paras for concealed carry.
is their any substance to this or is this more forum speculation than fact?
im not eager to spend 8-900$ for a safe sitter..
and more importantly dont want to have a FTF or other issue when it counts most.

I have NEVER had any issues with my Para while using factory ammo. Completely reliable, I have before, and do carry my Para (cocked and locked) and recommend to others to buy it as well!

First to Christosx I've had 2 glocks and quite frankly they didn't fit my hand well
As to snakeeye I get a magazine called Gun Tests and early on the Para pistols quality conrol left somethig to be desired but of late they have improved and I believe American Handgunner gave them good reviews
Gun Tests buys their guns from a ffl as we would them runs them thru the hurtles and give theit oppion on them.
Alos I may or may not carry this pistol I have a 9000s in 40 S&W and a walther pp in 32 acp that I carry Yes I know 32 acp ha ha but no one has taken me up on letting put a couple in em yet

I've got a Para P14-45. It's an early gun so my experience may not be indicative of current Para quality.

I tended to get failures to feed towards the end of a magazine, now and then. I did replace the magazine springs and the mags were all new ParaOrd mags. I had a gunsmith in NH do a trigger job on the gun. A few thousand rounds after that, the hammer started following the slide. The gunsmith told me the problem was that the internal parts (hammer, sear, etc.) were soft and would have to be replaced. So were the parts bad or was that caused by the gunsmith? I dunno.

In addition, the slide stop notch has started to deform. I've got many, many more rounds through my Kimber without similar wear.

Finally, my ParaOrd has the old style sights (i.e., the kind that I can't see), the standard grip safety, and standard thumb safety. I greatly prefer high visibility sights, a beavertail grip safety, and an extended thumb safety. One of these years I'll get my Para rebuilt the way I want it. For now, it's a safe queen.

I had a Para P10.45 with an alloy frame. the frame cracked and they had to replace the receiver - which took three days from shipping it out to getting it back. (shipped it on Monday, got it back on Thursday). Other than that, utterly reliable.

I now have a stainless P12.45 - I wouldn't hesitate to carry that in condition 1. In fact, I have. I have utter faith in that gun.

I do want another Para, though... I'd like an LDA Para, too. Just so I can carry with my Smartcarry. [smile] I really don't want a .45 in condition 1 right next to the family jewels... just in case I get clumsy drawing it. (the gun, I trust. My fingers when I'm shaking with adrenaline overload? Nope.)

Chris said:
Speaking of Paras, anyone got one of those little Warthogs? Every time I swing by Four Seasons, he's out of them, so I never get a chance to see if they fit my hand.

Seem like a nice compact .45.

Hi Chris,
Yes, I got one from 4 Seasons back in April.
The Warthog is a fun gun to shoot. I have not tweaked mine to the point where it is jam free yet. I get the occasional FTF with a variety of ammo,
WinClean 185, Blazer FMJ 230, Federal JHP 185, Lead reloads.
Many who pickup the Wart, just don't care for the fat stubby grip.

How much does Four Seasons have them for? When I get some money put aside I want a Para and that is the model I am leaning towards. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to shoot up to Four Seasons and check them out

you know this thread has displayed way too many FTF, breakages and malfunctions over far too small a geographic area for my liking to consider one for carry..
three out of the four people who posted here as para owners have expressed issues, whether resolved in the end or not..

thats just way too much of a coincidence for me to stake my life on..

Chris said:
Speaking of Paras, anyone got one of those little Warthogs? Every time I swing by Four Seasons, he's out of them, so I never get a chance to see if they fit my hand.

Seem like a nice compact .45.

A Warthog is a P10.45 with a fancy marketing campaign... and you've seen my P10, I think.

Back
Top Bottom