• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Para Ord P12--thoughts?

Machines

NES Member
Everyone says these are either awesome or jam-o-matics. Any first-hand experience on NES? I'm looking at a well-carried P12 that I could probably get at a reasonable price. There are a few questions to resolve but I'm wondering if these things are more trouble than they're worth.

Compact 1911, 3.5" cone barrel, 12-round mag, blued, rubber grips.

I had one of the early ones, made in Canada. It never, ever worked. Para messed with it till the warranty expired, 1 year, after that I was told I was on my own. Maybe they are better now with the life time warranty, but I will never buy a product from them again.

I own an early P14-45. It has had a fair number of failures to feed, usually near the end of the magazine. After a few thousand rounds, the hammer started following the slide -- that required a gunsmith to replace the hammer, sear, and disconnector. The slide stop has peened the slide stop notch.

I own 7 M1911s. The others are from Colt, Kimber, Springfield Armory, and Wilson. My ParaOrdnance doesn't hold a candle to any of them. Find something else.

After a few thousand rounds, the hammer started following the slide -- that required a gunsmith to replace the hammer, sear, and disconnector.

huh? you sure you couldn't have put more bend in middle fork of the sear spring?! Who is your gunsmith?

huh? you sure you couldn't have put more bend in middle fork of the sear spring?! Who is your gunsmith?

Hammer and sear have to be mated perfectly when replacing either. Not something every DIY'er can handle. I'm sure M1911 would have been able to figure out if the gun only needed a new sear spring.

I had a P12 Limited stainless a few years back. I had traded in my LDA C6 for it because the C6 was completely unreliable. The P12 was a tad better, but still wasn't dependable enough for me to carry. IMO, and also the opinion of many others, stay away from 1911s with less than a 4.25" barrel. I also don't trust double stack 1911's. Find yourself a S&W 1911PD, better yet a nice old Colt Commander. You'll spend more of course but its worth it.

ETA: Come to think of it, the P12 I bought was marked at $800 I believe. Way too much for that piece of junk.

Last edited:
fair enough - I meant no disrespect to M1911. Nevertheless, sounds overwhelming that para 1911s aren't worth it.

Great hammers. I did not have problems with FTF just the same as M1911 with on 10 rounds through it. Ask yourself the question why are you considering para. I bet you will answer $. There is a reason they are much less expensive than others.

Para's quality control sucks and their customer service is worse. I have two P 16s that function flawlessly. One I built myself from a gunsmith frame kit and the other has had every part, except the slide and frame, replaced.

Back
Top Bottom