Paper FA-10 still in use?

ochmude

Marine Veteran
Are paper FA-10's still accepted for FTF transfers? I mean the actual carbon copy forms, not the .pdf printouts. I found a blank one while going through some old files.

How come some sellers prefer to use a paper form one rather than the electronic version though they have both available to them?

I think it's mostly a matter of convenience, not needing to have an internet connection to make the sale/trade. Every FTF sale I've ever made has been from my trunk in a parking lot somewhere. In those situations it's a lot easier to deal with a hardcopy form. There's also a bit of distrust for the online system.

Check the form. It needs to have a serial number. I believe the older ones did not.

Yup, it's serialized. It's from back when you could actually call CHSB and have them mail you some. The envelop is postmarked Feb 3rd, 2010.

How come some sellers prefer to use a paper form one rather than the electronic version though they have both available to them?

Because I typically don't meet a person I don't know at my house or theirs and as such I rarely have Internet when doing a transfer.

If you're making a FTF sale and you don't want to meet at home, and you just can't find one of the serialized FA10 forms, there is another option. You can print out a copy of the PDF, fill that out when you make the sale, then do the electronic one when you get home, filling in the info from the paper form. You only need the seller's PIN, so the buyer doesn't need to be present to fill out the electronic FA10. Once you're finished, you can print out two copies and mail one to the buyer for their records. I did this within the past week and it worked well.

If I do an electronic form, I am typing my own pin, not giving it to someone else.

You could do a lot of damage if you had all the info and pin #.

In my post, which you quoted, I specifically pointed out that the seller does not need the buyer's PIN. The seller submits their own pin to the electronic FA10 system. No PIN sharing is required to do what I suggested.

Technically, the electronic FA10 system has no protection against submitting fraudulent transfers into someone else's name, as long as you have their LTC number, last name, and date of birth, which is all the system asks for as far as buyer info.

Is there anything that prevents the same type of fraudulent transfers using the paper forms? Is that a reason to prefer the paper over the e-version?

In my post, which you quoted, I specifically pointed out that the seller does not need the buyer's PIN. The seller submits their own pin to the electronic FA10 system. No PIN sharing is required to do what I suggested.

Technically, the electronic FA10 system has no protection against submitting fraudulent transfers into someone else's name, as long as you have their LTC number, last name, and date of birth, which is all the system asks for as far as buyer info.

My bad, was still getting caffinated, reading comprehansion is better now.

I haven't done it personally, but if you're not a paper-only person there would appear to be one obvious solution to doing an eFA10 just about anywhere - use a laptop with a tethered cell phone. Save the PDF and print later. Has anyone tried this?

Of course, neither did the paper form! [eek]

I haven't done it personally, but if you're not a paper-only person there would appear to be one obvious solution to doing an eFA10 just about anywhere - use a laptop with a tethered cell phone. Save the PDF and print later. Has anyone tried this?

I think you can also just use your smartphone/tablet which likely already has 3g/4g service.

I think you can also just use your smartphone/tablet which likely already has 3g/4g service.

I don't have either a smartphone OR a computer. I'm not allowed to use the public library because of the incident in the microfiche room.

How am I supposed to file an eFA-10 without expensive hardware and broadband service contracts?

I don't have either a smartphone OR a computer. I'm not allowed to use the public library because of the incident in the microfiche room.

How am I supposed to file an eFA-10 without expensive hardware and broadband service contracts?

I just called the FRB with a similar question (told them my internet is down and I dont have a library card). They told me to go to the PD (who doesnt have them, ever) and tell someone there to call the FRB to order more. Im sure that's going to work.

Back
Top Bottom