• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Panic Buying

There is nothing new about panic buying. Those who are not blessed with gifted insight will wait until a tragic event occurs or for a presidential election, but by then it's already too late. Now is the time to buy things like ammo, especially .22's. Let's not kid ourselves the anti gun movement is gaining momentum so I'm not waiting for election day to get everything I need. Start getting what you need now so you won't have to pay those outrageous prices.

This, soooo hard. I truly understood the reasoning behind stockpiling after Sandy Hook. After all that garbage cooled down, I scooped up .22, .223 and 7.62x39 where ever I could as long as it was fairly priced. I only started reloading 2 years ago but I really don't buy any factory centerfire pistol ammo anymore. I make .380, 9x18mm, 9x19mm, .38spl, .357magnum, .45ACP, .45Colt, .30carbine, and I'm just now getting ramped up to make .223 and .308.

Sucks having to worry about how long we're going to be able to buy our ammo/ components at non-FR prices but you're 100% correct about getting what you can (ie, what you can afford to stockpile right now) while it's still available and inexpensive.

iu

I have it from a good source that everything's going to be "OK"...

It's already started kids.... this is what its going to be like trying to get a box of 22s in a week or two from now....

Plenty of ammo available at targetsportsusa now. Definitely curious what their inventory will be like in the weeks to come.

Mini-mags back in stock at TS.
Got 2k en route and my case of 5.56 arrived today, 3 days after order.
No price increases yet.

So what’s the reasoning behind predictions supply-side shortages? If I was a manufacturer, facing threats to my livelihood at every turn, I’d light up a 3rd shift and ensure that demand could be met.

Prime member? Don't know if that helps but my orders always come quickly.
Yeah Im a prime member. I was starting to think the way they can offer free shipping is because they take their sweet time. "Of course it takes longer, its free. What'd you expect?" My first order as a prime member resulted in me finally calling them after 10-12 days. In fairness to them, it was during the rush of CA residents trying to squeeze in orders before their shitty law kicked in.

Frustrating for me to place an order, get a notice that the label has been created and then nothing for a week and a half. I would rather order and hear nothing until it actually ships. Shouldnt complain I guess, just a little frustrating to hear a guy a few miles away getting his order 3 days later and Im at double that and still nothing.

Yeah Im a prime member. I was starting to think the way they can offer free shipping is because they take their sweet time. "Of course it takes longer, its free. What'd you expect?" My first order as a prime member resulted in me finally calling them after 10-12 days. In fairness to them, it was during the rush of CA residents trying to squeeze in orders before their shitty law kicked in.

Frustrating for me to place an order, get a notice that the label has been created and then nothing for a week and a half. I would rather order and hear nothing until it actually ships. Shouldnt complain I guess, just a little frustrating to hear a guy a few miles away getting his order 3 days later and Im at double that and still nothing.

You can always ship to my house lol!
Sorry to hear of your issues though.

Well this thread made me place an order...I never want to be behind the curve again. I just ordered a case of 22lr at less than half the price I paid during the prior panics and with free shipping. I remember chasing the Walmart updates on here for it. And F dicks, even if they give 22lr away for free I will never shop there.

Well I'm pretty well stocked up on everything I need, but I tend to follow threads like this. While in the hell would 22LR be in short supply during an AR15 scare?

Because the DNC has already proposed legislation which bans ALL magazine fed auto-loading rifles and pistols. There's a list of named guns, but the "features" list and broad weasel language in the bill effectively bans everything.

I did my part and picked up a new sidefolder AK yesterday.
I've been wanting another AK for a few years anyway because I sold my last one in 2014 right before I moved from Mass to NH.
Yeah I needed the money at the time, because I was buying a house, but I also allowed a grandfathered AK to be kept inside the communist borders of Mass.

You mean the sky isn't falling?....lol
I was thinking maybe short lived mini panic? Or maybe manufacturers and distributors have just gotten really good at handling panics? It took me by surprise when I saw the email. Now if I could just get my order from last month shipped...

I think the supply chain had a surplus built up in preparation for one big final panic before Hillary became empress and shut everything down. When that didn't happen thanks to Trump, they were left sitting on a lot of inventory. Since the current panic is not a "Hillary has been elected sized panic", the available backlog of supply still meets or exceeds demand.

Well I'm pretty well stocked up on everything I need, but I tend to follow threads like this. While in the hell would 22LR be in short supply during an AR15 scare?

Because people are skinflints and you can get a lot of .22 for short money.

The other problem is its "reflexive memory"- in sandy hook plus the last obamascare or so, .22 LR was always hard to come
by. So people are probably hitting it hard to forestall any shortages. IMHO its a reasonable certainty that there's like a static amount of maximum production of .22 LR in the US and the world as a whole- so when demand is hard, the market will never fully be able to keep up with demand. (since ammo manufacturing is capital intensive, nobody is going to spend $$$$$$$$ to add another .22 LR line and employees just to respond to one "Scare" it doesn't make sound financial
sense to do so. )

-Mike

If you will recall, during the last melt down, CMP stopped selling .22 LR and stopped taking orders. They also switched manufacturers after it all normalized if my memory servers me. They still are selling by the case: Civilian Marksmanship Program eStore

BTW, the CCI Mini-Mags at TS USA are cheaper by the case at $299.50

I think the supply chain had a surplus built up in preparation for one big final panic before Hillary became empress and shut everything down. When that didn't happen thanks to Trump, they were left sitting on a lot of inventory. Since the current panic is not a "Hillary has been elected sized panic", the available backlog of supply still meets or exceeds demand.

I think there is some ammo in the chain right now but honestly I wouldn't expect it to last very long, I don't think ammo manufacturers ended up with nearly as
much surplus as gun distributors. People buy ammo all the time, guns, not so much. We also don't have all that weird milsurp ammo coming into the US like we had in the 90s and early 2000s. Nearly all of that stuff is long gone, and that used to help tamp demand in a big way for certain kinds of ammunition. If these f***ers keep "beating the gun control drum" the supply chain will probably be stripped clean of common ammunition before the summer gets here. If the braying continues, 9mm, .223/5.56 and .22LR are all going to get cleaned out, just like the last 3 times. Since sandy hook a lot of prospective buyers have had time to allow their funds to recharge.... plus we got tax day coming up soon, too.

On the other hand if congress punts on gun control quickly enough, and the buyers are less ambitious than I thought, and the market is more saturated with ammo than I thought.... this could be reduced from a panic buy full retard thing into a momentary panic kind of thing.

The one recurring thing I'm already seeing though is people posting pics of walmart ammo cabinets blown clean of 9mm and .223/5.56... thats generally NOT a good sign.... unless its just walmart having gotten lazy about stocking ammo cabinets since overall demand has gone down....

-Mike

You mean the sky isn't falling?....lol

I think its too early to tell. TS might already be "self tamping" or "rationing" certain lots, but they would never tell someone this or
admit it. (its a relatively smart scheme to stretch out inventory so you get product in hands of a wider # of people and create lots of return traffic to the
business, lots of bigger gun shops do stuff like this, as crazy as it sounds. ) TS is going to get more business if they release a quantity of ammo every day or week, than they would if they just let the buyers clean them out in one day.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom