Panic Buying for the Next Generation?

Do you all think it is crazy to start buying stuff for the next generation? I am thinking trying to get ahead of AWB 2.0 etc.. I feel like it is just a matter of time and I don’t want to be kicking myself in 20 years.

Huh?

If you have or reasonably expect to have kids, buying guns and ammo for those kids is a good idea. However, how do you know what your gun needs are going to be over the next twenty years? What are you going to do, calculate your median or top 5% rate of ammo and gun parts consumption within the last few years, then use that to make projections like "I'll need 10,000 rounds of [caliber] per year; thus, I'll need 200,000 rounds"? Or, "shit, I expect a second Federal assault weapons ban, let me buy 100 80% lowers."

You're trying to game an inherently unpredictable system. Buy what you can, when you can, unless this is a business for you. Even still, businesses have to operate on a profitable basis.

I bought lowers for both my kids when my wife was pregnant with them, not because I worry about an AWB, but because I figured it was something a father should do.

If you are afraid of an AWB, remember, guns are useless with out mags, and mags are supposed to be consumables. Stack mags for what ever guns you think you are going to pass down.

Right. For the kids, not for me.
I am thinking that AWB 2.0 would cut off more than just lowers, but dropping a few k on gun parts right now is a tough pill to swallow.

buying guns and ammo for those kids is a good idea.

I thought most here already used that reason to rationalize their purchases. That's why you see some items sold for a premium and they talked themselves into it, "$200 more for a gun is nothing if you apply it to my lifetime, my son's lifetime, grandson's lifetime use." Tough to find that balance between smart hedging and overbuying just to have it in hand. Many of us probably have overbought lowers that will stay in their boxes and may never be assembled. But it's a nice feeling to have it and never need it.

My concern now is that AWB 2.0 will go after other parts besides just lowers. Maybe I am too paranoid, I don’t know.

I thought most here already used that reason to rationalize their purchases. That's why you see some items sold for a premium and they talked themselves into it, "$200 more for a gun is nothing if you apply it to my lifetime, my son's lifetime, grandson's lifetime use." Tough to find that balance between smart hedging and overbuying just to have it in hand. Many of us probably have overbought lowers that will stay in their boxes and may never be assembled. But it's a nice feeling to have it and never need it.

Two rifles, two pistols and a shotgun.
Lots of mags and ammo.
But most important is training to use them properly and efficiently.

The less calibers you have, the easier it is to keep an inventory of.

Last edited:
Do you all think it is crazy to start buying stuff for the next generation? I am thinking trying to get ahead of AWB 2.0 etc.. I feel like it is just a matter of time and I don’t want to be kicking myself in 20 years.

I think if it really gets that bad you can do whatever you want but unless the B.S is stopped they will get whatever you have. They will just pass some law that says you cant transfer the guns to your kids or something.

I've only been collecting for about 6 or 7 years and prices have effectively doubled on some of the stuff I bought. Sometimes I still sell for 'back then' prices to cut some slack to new owners in this 'full retard' market.

I don't think we'll ever see a time in our lives where the price of ANYTHING (especially firearms related) will go DOWN. BUY! BUY! BUY! Like your wallet is on fire and your money won't be worth the paper it's made of in a year (this could actually be coming).

Some buy silver and gold...i'm at more of a lead/copper/brass level for precious metals investing.

I've only been collecting for about 6 or 7 years and prices have effectively doubled on some of the stuff I bought. Sometimes I still sell for 'back then' prices to cut some slack to new owners in this 'full retard' market.

I don't think we'll ever see a time in our lives where the price of ANYTHING (especially firearms related) will go DOWN. BUY! BUY! BUY! Like your wallet is on fire and your money won't be worth the paper it's made of in a year (this could actually be coming).

Some buy silver and gold...i'm at more of a lead/copper/brass level for precious metals investing.

Definitely feels like a bad roller coaster ride over the last 10 years. Every election, school shooting, now pandemic and its like, ‘Here we go again..’

I bought lowers for both my kids when my wife was pregnant with them, not because I worry about an AWB, but because I figured it was something a father should do.

If you are afraid of an AWB, remember, guns are useless with out mags, and mags are supposed to be consumables. Stack mags for what ever guns you think you are going to pass down.
I hear Lancer L5AWM 5.56 mags come in cases of 50. Or at least they did before distributors started capping purchases to 10.

Seriously though, I buy generationally and wish my parents and grandparents had the foresight to do so before the bans of their generations.

My concern now is that AWB 2.0 will go after other parts besides just lowers. Maybe I am too paranoid, I don’t know.

I think it possibly will due to the ghost gun angle. I support ghost guns but the unfortunate side affect I wish we could put back in the box, along with the ghost guns, is it's brought gun parts into the limelight. At one point simply banning new lowers would have satisfied folks as preventing new sales, now it doesn't unless they find a way to ban hunks of material, so they now want to ban the parts (how parts is defined is another question)..

Personally I am stocking enough parts to build all the lowers and uppers out I own, 25% of which may never become functional guns but are spare parts if nothing else. I have a good number but less than some, generally I stick with stuff I think is of quality, ie not budget junk.

Another fear, more likely than a direct confiscation scheme, is our semi auto's and mags become somehow NFA. $200 per gun could be a huge bill and opens us up down the road to streamlined confiscation. We will all be squeezed to make a decision, live as felons and have our collections become contraband or register and open ourselves up to future directed confiscation (though boating accidents are common).

I think if it really gets that bad you can do whatever you want but unless the B.S is stopped they will get whatever you have. They will just pass some law that says you cant transfer the guns to your kids or something.
Look at this guy, asking for permission to exercise his natural human right. A transfer requires two people and a handshake.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty."

Dude, where were you for the past couple years? From like 2017-2019, ARs were easily going for $400. Ammo markedly dropped in price, too.

The gun market, like all markets, functions on supply and demand. Gun makers tooled up to meet 2012-2014 panic buying frenzies with most of that production being ARs and modern, popular calibers like 9x19 and .223/5.56x45. Then, once Trump won, most people took a collective sigh of relief and slowed down on gun buying. Combined with our lessened involvements in the Middle East and we saw a glut in ammo and AR stuff.

Remington shut down Bushmaster, DPMS, and a bunch of other subsidiaries about six weeks before the pandemic and Colt killed AR production last September because they couldn't compete with lower priced competitors:

Remington killing Bushmaster, DPMS, Tapco, and StormLake Barrels

No more Colt ARs

Now, granted some things are going to continuously gain value, but those are things that have fixed supplies or supplies that only increase by a small amount, like the FAL and AK markets. The days of $50-100 FAL parts kits are over, as are the days where AKs are cheaper than ARs. Or, the entire C&R market in most cases. Yeah, that cheapness is largely over, but that's because of legalities and the historic fact that the surplus market was prime right after big wars like WW1, WW2, Korea, and Vietnam.

My parents went through the depression so there was always a good size pantry and garden and stocks of necessities. They passed this mindset on to myself and my kids. Kids and grandkids are all covered. Right now I'm working with them on reviewing where we should have done better prepping for a pandemic.

Look at this guy, asking for permission to exercise his natural human right. A transfer requires two people and a handshake.

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty."

HA! Not me. I was trying to illustrate that planning for gun ownership in 20 years by stocking up now is defeatist attitude and really wont make a difference. If things get that bad going to the range to play with your toys will be the last thing you are concerned with. If his kids grow up without the ability to buy an AR-15 he's failed them anyways. Holding onto whatever toys have been "grandfathered" in just as much asking permission as anything.

HA! Not me. I was trying to illustrate that planning for gun ownership in 20 years by stocking up now is defeatist attitude and really wont make a difference. If things get that bad going to the range to play with your toys will be the last thing you are concerned with. If his kids grow up without the ability to buy an AR-15 he's failed them anyways. Holding onto whatever toys have been "grandfathered" in just as much asking permission as anything.

I have several guns but no toys. The Second Amendment doesn't mention toys, either.

Dude, where were you for the past couple years? From like 2017-2019, ARs were easily going for $400. Ammo markedly dropped in price, too.

The gun market, like all markets, functions on supply and demand. Gun makers tooled up to meet 2012-2014 panic buying frenzies with most of that production being ARs and modern, popular calibers like 9x19 and .223/5.56x45. Then, once Trump won, most people took a collective sigh of relief and slowed down on gun buying. Combined with our lessened involvements in the Middle East and we saw a glut in ammo and AR stuff.

Remington shut down Bushmaster, DPMS, and a bunch of other subsidiaries about six weeks before the pandemic and Colt killed AR production last September because they couldn't compete with lower priced competitors:

Remington killing Bushmaster, DPMS, Tapco, and StormLake Barrels

No more Colt ARs

Now, granted some things are going to continuously gain value, but those are things that have fixed supplies or supplies that only increase by a small amount, like the FAL and AK markets. The days of $50-100 FAL parts kits are over, as are the days where AKs are cheaper than ARs. Or, the entire C&R market in most cases. Yeah, that cheapness is largely over, but that's because of legalities and the historic fact that the surplus market was prime right after big wars like WW1, WW2, Korea, and Vietnam.

Dude...those are called 'normal prices', dude. Yes, more Chinese garbage on the market gave skinflints other options to add to their Palmetto State Armory dream builds. The prices didn't 'come down' so much as they went 'back to normal'.

You're looking at a very small timeline/sampling and definitely not looking at the bigger picture if you think anything was 'inexpensive' the last few years for any other reason than market saturation for certain over-produced products.

I feel like you type shit just to type sometimes? That's fine though...if it makes you happy going around NES trying to correct people, you do you, dude. From other posts I've seen, you certainly think you're the smartest person in the room 100% of the time.

Mark my words, OP...buying even more now (even at these prices) will never be a regretted decision.

I have several guns but no toys. The Second Amendment doesn't mention toys, either.

It's always kinda bothered me when folks refer to them as 'toys' as well. They're nothing but tools at my house (but fun tools).

Last edited:
Dude...those are called 'normal prices', dude. Yes, more Chinese garbage on the market gave skinflints other options to add to their Palmetto State Armory dream builds. The prices didn't 'come down' so much as they went 'back to normal'.

You're looking at a very small timeline/sampling and definitely not looking at the bigger picture if you think anything was 'inexpensive' the last few years for any other reason than market saturation for certain over-produced products.

I feel like you type shit just to type sometimes? That's fine though...if it makes you happy going around NES trying to correct people, you do you, dude. From other posts I've seen, you certainly think you're the smartest person in the room 100% of the time.

Mark my words, OP...buying even more now (even at these prices) will never be a regretted decision.

Prices are always going to change because of inflation and deflation, so comparing prices over long periods of time is not really worthwhile. There'd be no logic in comparing the price of say AR-15 buttstocks from 1959 to 2020 because of factors external to the gun market.

Deflation does occur and it'll probably happen to a small extent within the next few years. Inflation isn't a constant trend.

And if you don't like me, put me on your ignore list. I really won't mind.

I am thinking trying to get ahead of AWB 2.0 etc..

You are 'thinking' wrong. AWB Gen 1 was about limiting sales and had a "Sunset Clause". The Dems learned thier lessons on that one...

AWB 2.0 won't be about limiting access... it will be about turning YOUR semi-autos in (any semi-auto) followed by confiscation...

Buy now, buy often...

~Enbloc

Last edited:
It's always kinda bothered me when folks refer to them as 'toys' as well. They're 100% nothing but tools at my house (but fun tools).
Sure a gun can be a toy, a historical collectible, or sporting equipment. But I don’t have time or money for hobbies. All my guns are tools. Hell, while researching night vision I found a few YT channels of people whose thing is just night recreation: hiking, stargazing, playing horseshoes in the dark. They have $20k of NODs on a table and discuss zero defensive application. Filed under the same category as a sports car. Shine on you crazy diamonds.

I’m cheap and only justify it in my budget because of civil unrest, pending restrictions, and selling a home after 50% appreciation. It’s a defensive asset with generational inheritance in mind.

So bro can talk about guns as toys with but this the wrong thread.

Lol not entirely, the AK price increases caused by regulatory BS more than demand. Even in the middle of the slump a year or so ago a WASR was still over 600
bucks. Those prices were set by regulatory BS not supply and demand. Basically century can't make any money off the thing on their end unless it retails for 600 bucks or
more.

And honestly right now ARs havent gone up that much, but supply is a problem, but when you can find one, the prices aren't much more than the
slump. $400? At $400 trash level that's basically a waste of time because that's probably a trash heap unless its a very cautious DIY build.

The real kick in the groin right now is ammo and accessories. Those things are getting hit harder than the guns are. It will be easy for the industry to catch up on
guns, but consumables like ammo, magazines, etc, are a whole other ballgame.

This whole "guns" thing is going to end one of two ways.

First: Every dime and every minute you spent 'collecting' arms & ammunition, all the learning and training you sweated for "The Coming Collapse" will be lost to government confiscation without a single penny in restitution. Period, the End.

Second: You prepare yourself and your family for the hard times and the battle that is surely before for us. This is "Prepping", nay, This is Survival...

~Enbloc

Back
Top Bottom