Panic buying at Shooting Supply in Westport, Ma. today.

As much as I hate to say it, watch the weekly unemployment reports as this gets worse and you’ll see lots of options open up.

This. Its gonna be a while. But this for sure. Guns are at a premium now but you cant eat them or live in them

When it comes to buying food or paying a mortgage, firearms and other luxury items will be on sale.

Its a luxury have 25 guns. People will scale down and sell when we are talking 25 percent unemployment possibly.

Smart people are selling now while they can at higher prices.

Did something actually break on the gun, or was it caused by an ammo malfunction, such as a primer backing out, or a bullet in another chamber pulling forward past its crimp under recoil forces?
I honestly don't recall. He was letting folks fire it, there were a few waiting and it locked up. Tried working on it at the line for a minute, then went back to figure it out.

If the member is still here maybe he'll speak up, I think Eddie Coyle was trying to help him as well.

Well - Charlie is shutting down all non-essential businesses for a bit. If you though the last few days were bad, today is going to be the shit show of shit shows. This order is effective through early-April.

Did something actually break on the gun, or was it caused by an ammo malfunction, such as a primer backing out, or a bullet in another chamber pulling forward past its crimp under recoil forces?

I can't imagine loading a 500 "hot." I mean, why not just poke a hole in a piece of paper with one of those kindergarten pencils and then have someone smash your wrist with a sledgehammer. It's cheaper than the front-end cost of a 500.

I was at shooting supply today around 2. About a 15 min wait outside. I got in got my ammo and targets and got out in about 10min. It was busy but moving surprisingly well and smooth. At least from my short time their.

I bulged a cylinder on a Smith, 629, 44 magnum years ago. Does that count? Smith replaced the cylinder for $ 150.00 and sent a note with the gun suggesting I stop pushing the envelope.

Hah, if Elmer Keith didn’t push the envelope, there wouldn’t be a .44/.357/.41 magnum.

Hah, if Elmer Keith didn’t push the envelope, there wouldn’t be a .44/.357/.41 magnum.

I like to play with the .45 Colt too. I made some really hot 45 colt loads for the 4 3/4" freedom Arms .454 Casull and hauled it up to Vermont for a boar hunt. Crazy muddy hunt in the swamp. Damn pig charged me and the guide. Didn't want to shoot him in the head and ruin the mount, so I did a little hop to the side and whacked him in the heart. He came to sliding stop at my feet. The guide called me a crazy S.O.B. after he shimmied down from that skinny poplar tree. He saw kills all the time, so I guess he didn't put as much value on my mount as I did. Then again, he didn't
pay for the hunt either. Maybe a bit of a woos too I think. In the end it was a pig against a .45 colt magnum. The pig was clearly outgunned from the get go.

Last edited:
I know a guy who reloads and shoots 155 gr lead bullets out of his factory G22 all the time (he's a mega skinflint) and still hasn't blown his gun up. He's been casting and loading for that gun for years, too.

-Mike
I never read the owners manual that came with my G19 I bought in 1990. I had no idea you weren't supposed to to shoot lead through it. I'll bet I shot....I don't know maybe 5000 rounds of my cast wheel weight 124 grain rn bullets. Maybe even twice that many. It's basically all I shot out of the thing for years.
Maybe I kept the velocity down low enough to prevent leading but I never had any evidence of lead build up.

I never read the owners manual that came with my G19 I bought in 1990. I had no idea you weren't supposed to to shoot lead through it. I'll bet I shot....I don't know maybe 5000 rounds of my cast wheel weight 124 grain rn bullets. Maybe even twice that many. It's basically all I shot out of the thing for years.
Maybe I kept the velocity down low enough to prevent leading but I never had any evidence of lead build up.
It’s been proven to be a non issue. It just takes the right fit and hardness.

Just left Shooting Supply. No mob right now. Knock on the door & wait a few minutes to get in.

I was in, On target in Bridgewater at the shops opening time. I didn't need anything I was just crazy slow at my work and decided to walk over and check out the scene. Wile I was looking at what they had for ammo people started to pile in then I started to listen. People started to buy guns 2 at a time, said to myself I better stand in line to cash out my box of .22 CCI mini mag and a box of 9mm critical defense before it gets crazy. Almost an hour before I cashed out!!! I was 3rd in line.

Admittedly I am a fan of that store: On Target Training in East Bridgewater.

Nice shop, both Ed and Tom are great guys. It's a little out of my way,

but I am happy to give them some business.

On Target Training Inc
516 N Bedford Street
East Bridgewater, MA 02333

1202302d1501282119-if-i-replace-my-instrument-cluster-what-happens-to-the-mileage-necropost1_zpsa32d5a93.jpg

Admittedly I am a fan of that store: On Target Training in East Bridgewater.

Nice shop, both Ed and Tom are great guys. It's a little out of my way,

but I am happy to give them some business.

On Target Training Inc
516 N Bedford Street
East Bridgewater, MA 02333
Very nice guy. Not even 5 minutes from my home but I find his prices to be higher. I’ll buy some stuff from there every now and then to support him. There’s another FFL that I just discovered that’s a a mile or two down the road from On Target as well.

Very nice guy. Not even 5 minutes from my home but I find his prices to be higher. I’ll buy some stuff from there every now and then to support him. There’s another FFL that I just discovered that’s a a mile or two down the road from On Target as well.

Yeah, The Shootist is around the corner on Highland St. I drive by there on the way to work but I've never been in.

Now's the time to be panic buying, before the panic sets in again and there's shit on the shelves.
And now that you just posted this on the internet there will be tens of thousands of NES panic tinfoil heads flocking guns stores camping out in the parking lots to get 2 boxes of 9mm

And now that you just posted this on the internet there will be tens of thousands of NES panic tinfoil heads flocking guns stores camping out in the parking lots to get 2 boxes of 9mm

There will likely be less than a hundred people that read it. There is probably only a couple hundred regular members that read/post frequently on here.

No one is going out and doing that. Panic tinfoil heads did that years ago, obviously creating this thread, and now 2 years later they are sitting on tons of overpriced ammo.

Smart people waited and now that the supply chain and things are getting back to normal and there is plenty of stock and prices are going down.

But now, people don't have lots of free money, the economy is in a downswing, and interest rates on borrowing are up. Making panic buying not really a thing, because people are now thinking about jobs and food.

Now is the time to start buying again.......but not like crazy, there's no reason to...plenty of stock out there on most things except primers. Let prices come down further.

No one is going out and doing that. Panic tinfoil heads did that years ago, obviously creating this thread, and now 2 years later they are sitting on tons of overpriced ammo.

Smart people waited and now that the supply chain and things are getting back to normal and there is plenty of stock and prices are going down.

But now, people don't have lots of free money, the economy is in a downswing, and interest rates on borrowing are up. Making panic buying not really a thing, because people are now thinking about jobs and food.

Now is the time to start buying again.......but not like crazy, there's no reason to...plenty of stock out there on most things except primers. Let prices come down further.
See....I have the thought process that the supply chain is not back to normal and is still somewhat disrupted.

See....I have the thought process that the supply chain is not back to normal and is still somewhat disrupted.
I can agree with that for sure. While most ammo prices are coming back to earth, there are things like primers that are sky high. That said, they are in stock, and that's the first indication of them coming down in price because people are not buying them at the prices out there. Companies just don't sit on stock like that unless they have to. It costs them money.

That said.....like the douchebags in the auto market, when orders start slowing, the manufacturers could start shuttering plants trying to keep prices up.

And I think that kind of "artificial supply chain disruptions" are still happening by companies that think they can sell high prices in a bad market.

Eventually you run out of stupid buyers that are OK with overpaying, and generally those stupid buyers are also impulsive and use credit, which is another crunch.
Buying ammo on your HELOC loan that's averaging 5-6% interest now isn't too smart.

Back
Top Bottom