• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Panic buying at Shooting Supply in Westport, Ma. today.

M60

NES Member
My nephew just left Shooting Supply. Parking lot is full and cars lined up on both side of the street. They sold out of the Ruger PC9's while he was there and hand gun sales were brisk to say the least. Line at the computer for transactions. Ammo is flying out the door. Ammo is being rationed. Idiots are picking up boxes of projectiles thinking it's ammo. Clerk informs them it's not ammo and they put it down. My nephew was buying powder, primers and projectiles for his Ruger PC9, to feed Glock 9mm happy sticks that I had sitting around. The clerk told him that he was the smartest customer in the store. His description of what he saw was the same as what I saw after Sandy Hook.

I think the panic buying will be worse this time once it hits full steam. This is a universal panic, not a 'right' vs. 'left' panic. Also the idiot factor will be bigger, which will result in idiots buying supplies they can't even use- as mentioned in the OP.

Well they've maxed out hte food and TP. People are trying to think of "what's next?"

Reality is that we don't NEED more guns and ammo. Sheesh. What do we think - Corona is going to turn 20% of victims into zombies or something??? But people can't help being ahead of the next run.

I'm guilty. Back in 1999, I stocked up on some stuff. I know some that went Uber-deep. Like 10's of thousands of dollars of items for Y2K. And NYE, I stopped at my LGS to buy one or two more boxes of pistol ammo. I was the only customer. Strange.

So I get it. But I won't stock up on stuff until I think I might need it. I've got plenty of guns and plenty of ammo. I'm good. And neither are going away soon. So I'm even better.

People need to calm the F down.

I think the panic buying will be worse this time once it hits full steam. This is a universal panic, not a 'right' vs. 'left' panic. Also the idiot factor will be bigger, which will result in idiots buying supplies they can't even use- as mentioned in the OP.

Depends on how much cash they wasted on toilet paper and other bs, etc.... but I agree, it could persist a lot longer. And shit eating moonbats that usually vote against guns will be buying too, at least in the states where they're not walled off from doing so. Maybe some of those idiots will finally "Get it" but I think that is being too optimistic.

JFC.
What are these morons going to shoot at? Germs???

It doesn't take much imagination to imagine the ghetto life class expanding and not enough welfare to go around, not to mention there's a whole shitload of people who basically became unemployed this week, for anyone from 2 weeks to 2 months depending on the employer etc. Gov is probably not handing out EBT cards to every person that walks up that says they just lost their job. It's not completely unreasonable to assume that some f***o types are going to start doing f***o things if they get desperate enough. At least we're going into the spring and the economic pressure of paying for heat is starting to taper off.

ETA: I will concede a large # of these panic buy people are probably just sundry gun owners that suddenly realized they got caught with their pants down and are now overreacting, and somewhat fed by hysteria... but I would say in the coming weeks theres still a legit reason to upgrade security measures.

-Mike

My nephew just left Shooting Supply. Parking lot is full and cars lined up on both side of the street. They sold out of the Ruger PC9's while he was there and hand gun sales were brisk to say the least. Line at the computer for transactions. Ammo is flying out the door. Ammo is being rationed. Idiots are picking up boxes of projectiles thinking it's ammo. Clerk informs them it's not ammo and they put it down. My nephew was buying powder, primers and projectiles for his Ruger PC9, to feed Glock 9mm happy sticks that I had sitting around. The clerk told him that he was the smartest customer in the store. His description of what he saw was the same as what I saw after Sandy Hook.

<groan> Same old panic shit. Nuts. I hope this is not how they make decision buying and selling stocks/funds.

It doesn't take much imagination to imagine the ghetto life class expanding and not enough welfare to go around, not to mention there's a whole shitload of people who basically became unemployed this week, for anyone from 2 weeks to 2 months depending on the employer etc. Gov is probably not handing out EBT cards to every person that walks up that says they just lost their job. It's not completely unreasonable to assume that some f***o types are going to start doing f***o things if they get desperate enough. At least we're going into the spring and the economic pressure of paying for heat is starting to taper off.

-Mike

THIS.

ETA: I will concede a large # of these panic buy people are probably just sundry gun owners that suddenly realized they got caught with their pants down and are now overreacting, and somewhat fed by hysteria... but I would say in the coming weeks theres still a legit reason to upgrade security measures.

-Mike
I'd wager a bet that 80% of gun owners are "sundry" gun owners as you call them. They keep one box of ammo in the sock drawer till they get skeered then go buy a bunch.

I have 2-3 years worth of components for pistol. Tempted to buy more primers. Can never really have enough can you?🤷🏻‍♂️

The primers are the first things to get tough to find... Shit I remember during Obamascare 1 Rileys and other places were like 1 box per day per customer, etc. So I used to have a loop where I would hit at least a couple shops that sold them and come back with 2000 primers or so depending. I'd also do screwy shit like buy large and small pistol magnum primers because people were generally too stupid to realize they're not that much different, and with a little testing, can be safely used.

Corona is going to turn 20% of victims into zombies or something???

It is?!? "Honey!! I just read Coronavirus leads to ZOMBIES!!"

In the year or so after "Y2K," you could pick up generators from Craigslist, etc. for pennies on the dollar, most never even run. I'm thinking a lot of these guns and much of this ammo might find its way to the secondary market when this dies down.

JFC.
What are these morons going to shoot at? Germs???

No. The mans that bring the germs. Germans. GET ZEE GERMANS!

As far as going deep, I reloaded for a lot of years. I sold all my stuff a year or two ago. Just dumped it all. Got decent prices versus what I paid. It's a time thing. I just stay deep in everything. Could I get "hurt" by a "shortage." Maybe. Probably not. Enough calibers to keep everything honky-dory. And I don't shoot enough to justify holding onto the machines and the reality is my time is too valuable to be making the stuff. If I have a free moment outside my work, my family and other commitments, I'm gonna be shooting, not in my basement making up 1,000 rounds of something.

I do need some 300blk for a new upper. I've yet to even consider going out with it. Just flat-out busy at work to think. I wonder if TSUSA is even in stock right now.

"Howdy neighbor, I noticed a few weeks ago you bought a whole bunch of TP and I was hoping maybe you had some spare to-" *BLAM*
That brings up a "discussion" I had with a work buddy of mine just last Friday. He knows I have guns and asked if I feel better having them in case shit gets crazy. I told him I always feel safer having fire arms......to protect my family in case of looting etc. He tried to turn the conversation on me and said "well ..id never be able to shoot someone that was starving"! My response was pretty firm......"if someone knocked on my door and asked for some food I'd toss them a couple of cans of beans......if they are coming in the back door trying to take my beans they will get ventilated......see the difference"?

Amazing that the anti assumes a gun owner is automatically a cold blooded killer.

Back
Top Bottom