• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Palmetto State Armory...Any good??

Tried to purchase a 7 round mag yesterday, when I hit place order a box came up saying" Do Not Ship To MA."

Silly stuff on their part. Yeah, I know it's their store their rules and they ship to our friends in free states, but the in-store sales prohibition to MA FFLs is pure tinfoilery.

For those of you that have Palmetto State Armory brand uppers, lowers, barrels etc, is there stuff any good? What is it on par with? I have a BCG from them that appears to be well machined, nice finish, MPI, properly staked etc. but haven't used it or anything they make. I was thinking of one of their AR45s but don't want to be disappointed. So, for those of you with their ARs, how do you like them and what do they compare to?
AR stores are a dime a dozen, half of them now selling parts mfg in China. I used to consider PSA a cut above, next to Brownells, MidwayUSA, and my favorite, Primary Arms. However, their quality has slipped and there is no longer any customer service. The most recent and final issue I have with them is I bought a $75 PSA 2-stage trigger that does not work. I tried to call them but now they just direct you to file a customer service request online. So I did. After a week I got an email asking for more information, which I promptly supplied. It is now past 2 weeks and going on 3, and I have heard nothing from them. If this is how they do business, I am done with them for good.

WOW. This thread is going pretty well. Where is that guy that keeps saying PSA is absolute shit and unless you spend over $200 for a lower or over $1200 for a complete rifle its all unreliable cheaply made out of spec. garbage.

I think PSA is very well made. I have bought parts and lowers from them in the past. I have 2 friends that have complete rifles from them, and fit and finish were perfect. One guy I know bought a "blem" upper and I couldn't find a single problem inside or out. It was perfect.

RC

At the PSA in Greenville, SC right now and found out they won't even let an 07 FFL with FFL in hand buy any firearms in person from MA. Th
Go full “Karen” on them and demand to speak to the manager.

They post videos of being a supporter of freedom for everyone but have no problem playing bullshit games. I’ve called and emailed them asking for them to reconsider their policies and I was ready to give them a bunch of money. Never even get a response.
Their business, their bullshit rules. I give my money to other companies now.

For those of you that have Palmetto State Armory brand uppers, lowers, barrels etc, is there stuff any good? What is it on par with? I have a BCG from them that appears to be well machined, nice finish, MPI, properly staked etc. but haven't used it or anything they make. I was thinking of one of their AR45s but don't want to be disappointed. So, for those of you with their ARs, how do you like them and what do they compare to?

Thanks, Dave
If you live in MA, they suck!

No, living in MA sucks.....it is MA laws and regulations that bring on the "No Sales To MA" issue with companies. How can you possibly blame an out of state company that serves 95% of the rest of the country satisfactorilly for a problem created in MA?[rolleyes]

I don't know about 95% of the country, that's a stretch. They won't ship anything to MA or DC or few other places, but then they have boatload of other restrictions, I don't know how legit they are.

On the other hand, there are companies that would ship preban hi caps to MA and they bother knowing the laws. You place your order, if they don't have your LTCA on file, they'll ask for it or alt shipping address. ... and they are doing just f***ing fine. In fact, those are the Cos I'll shop with and pass good word, because they also tend to be awesome in other respects as well.

Mark my word, when/if gun biz starts to suck (Trump re-elected, recession starts) PSA will re-discover MA very quickly and they will spin it like they were making some supreme sacrifice and are fighting AG whatever, just like the douchebags that they are.

We got shitty laws, but they are laws, they are reasonably defined and plenty of companies like Target Sport are doing business with Ma**h***s within existing laws. They are doing just fine.

I've made several purchases from PSA since I moved here to NH over five years ago.
I get their daily email blasts and they often have some really good deals
I have one of their Gen2 sidefolder AK's, which has performed flawlessly.
They're always coming out with interesting and humorous stripped AR lowers.
I ordered one of their "Angry Joe AR14" lowers last month, but I knew it would be a 10 week wait.
angryjoeAR14.jpg

No, living in MA sucks.....it is MA laws and regulations that bring on the "No Sales To MA" issue with companies. How can you possibly blame an out of state company that serves 95% of the rest of the country satisfactorilly for a problem created in MA?[rolleyes]

No, it's not, it's a company making a "risk assessment for skinflints" kind of business decision based off the unlikely event they got sued by the AG or some BS like that. Tons of other vendors have no problems sending stuff to MA.

Regardless, people get way too worked up about all this stupidity regardless of what vantage point you believe in. Getting emotionally wrapped up on whether
some company will send you shit or not is a complete waste of time. It's easier to just move onto the next vendor.

-Mike

I have no problems with them. When i lived in MA I just had things shipped to non MA locations for pickup when I ordered from them. I blamed the state not the vendor. I recently picked up one of the GF3 AK’s and a GF3 AKP. I have been having a ball with them during lockdown. I want to get one of their AK-E’s if they ever come back in stock. For non LWRC prices for fun things to shoot. I like them.

No, it's not, it's a company making a "risk assessment for skinflints" kind of business decision based off the unlikely event they got sued by the AG or some BS like that. Tons of other vendors have no problems sending stuff to MA.

Regardless, people get way too worked up about all this stupidity regardless of what vantage point you believe in. Getting emotionally wrapped up on whether
some company will send you shit or not is a complete waste of time. It's easier to just move onto the next vendor.

-Mike

I'm not wrapped up about it, I don't live in MA and can buy anything I want from any company out there. Sure lots of companies will send stuff to MA, then why do people complain so much when one won't when it is MA laws and regs that initiate the hands off MA policies of companies?

You throw around the word skinflint an awful lot.....people buy what they can afford and what they like.

I've made several purchases from PSA since I moved here to NH over five years ago.
I get their daily email blasts and they often have some really good deals
I have one of their Gen2 sidefolder AK's, which has performed flawlessly.
They're always coming out with interesting and humorous stripped AR lowers.
I ordered one of their "Angry Joe AR14" lowers last month, but I knew it would be a 10 week wait.
View attachment 353002
#me too on the ‘AR-14’ lower, I ordered two, can’t wait to build it and take it out with the boys!!!

PSA has a wide variety of options almost always at excellent pricing. They sell some cheap-o stuff but some pretty nice stuff as well.

If you’re in mass, just have it sent to someone over the border, it’s just metal parts here in NH.

I don't know about 95% of the country, that's a stretch. They won't ship anything to MA or DC or few other places, but then they have boatload of other restrictions, I don't know how legit they are.

On the other hand, there are companies that would ship preban hi caps to MA and they bother knowing the laws. You place your order, if they don't have your LTCA on file, they'll ask for it or alt shipping address. ... and they are doing just f***ing fine. In fact, those are the Cos I'll shop with and pass good word, because they also tend to be awesome in other respects as well.

Mark my word, when/if gun biz starts to suck (Trump re-elected, recession starts) PSA will re-discover MA very quickly and they will spin it like they were making some supreme sacrifice and are fighting AG whatever, just like the douchebags that they are.

We got shitty laws, but they are laws, they are reasonably defined and plenty of companies like Target Sport are doing business with Ma**h***s within existing laws. They are doing just fine.

Our laws are no where near reasonably definedThats why there are dictionary thick novels on MA gun law.

They used to ship here. Odds are they go love letters from Maura and had no fxcking idea what law they broke as they are based in South Carolina and have no fxcking idea about any of the northern bullshit laws.

If you think they are going to risk their business over that your nuts. They dont want to do the due dilligence and good or bad thats their business decision.

Blame Maura, blame our state laws, cant blame them. They are people who sell products not MA legal scholars.

People that ask businesses in other states to navigate our laws really are being unfair. WE cant even navigate our own laws for f***s sake

Our laws are no where near reasonably definedThats why there are dictionary thick novels on MA gun law.

They used to ship here. Odds are they go love letters from Maura and had no fxcking idea what law they broke as they are based in South Carolina and have no fxcking idea about any of the northern bullshit laws.

If you think they are going to risk their business over that your nuts. They dont want to do the due dilligence and good or bad thats their business decision.

Blame Maura, blame our state laws, cant blame them. They are people who sell products not MA legal scholars.

People that ask businesses in other states to navigate our laws really are being unfair. WE cant even navigate our own laws for f***s sake
ehh maybe. Take Target Sports - They did the risk assessment, told Maura to EABOD and continued to sell to MA - I'm guessing we are a significant portion of their sales - PSA and other vendors could do the same - Sales are sales - To choose to not sell ANYTHING to a state based on fear when you are a retail business is not a sound business practice in my opinion

PSA is ok, it is a budget option make no mistake about it. Even their “high end” uppers aren’t on the same level as something reasonably affordable like a BCM

I bought a complete upper with bcg from them about six years ago now and they shipped it to MA. Obviously there have been a few changes since then but for the money spent the upper was fairly decent. I've since swapped the barrel out for an FNH cold hammer forged and kept the bcg and upper receiver. Never had a problem with the gun.
If they'll ship to you and youre broke as shit like I was at the time, they're pretty good value. Better than nothing for sure.

ehh maybe. Take Target Sports - They did the risk assessment, told Maura to EABOD and continued to sell to MA - I'm guessing we are a significant portion of their sales - PSA and other vendors could do the same - Sales are sales - To choose to not sell ANYTHING to a state based on fear when you are a retail business is not a sound business practice in my opinion

I would bet a week's pay that Target Sports has contracts with police agencies in MA and there is a state oriented "hands off" policy regarding their sales to MA. I asked this question SPECIFICALLY in a private email to Target Sports and they have yet to answer. My question was simple: "Do you currently sell or ship ammo to Massachusetts police departments?"

That fact that they refuse to answer leads me to believe that they DO sell to Massachusetts governmental agencies and are receiving preferential treatment regarding selling ammo in MA.

I challenge anyone else who currently has, or to garner more info on this and welcome you to disprove my assumption.

Any police firearms officers out there who know? Do you have the fortitude to come clean on the issue?

I would bet a week's pay that Target Sports has contracts with police agencies in MA and there is a state oriented "hands off" policy regarding their sales to MA. I asked this question SPECIFICALLY in a private email to Target Sports and they have yet to answer. My question was simple: "Do you currently sell or ship ammo to Massachusetts police departments?"

Hmm, interesting. I have never thought of that. I would not be surprised if you are right though.

The whole idea that a business as an entity should be obligated to push any angle with regard to laws is in my opinion misguided. Individuals should be, but when businesses go down that road, the play out at the end of the line is crony capitalism. A business is after all a collection of individuals who should all be politically active on their own accord.

If yoy want to build a bunch of rifles, its hard to stay way from PSA. My kids all have PSA rifles I put together using their daily deals. The prices are sometimes insanely low on some full uppers and lower kits.

That said my wife and I's primary rifles are a BCM and Noveske.

Regardless, people get way too worked up about all this stupidity regardless of what vantage point you believe in. Getting emotionally wrapped up on whether some company will send you shit or not is a complete waste of time. It's easier to just move onto the next vendor.

-Mike

This is not an emotional issue. It's about voting with your dollars. I vote for my local shops and encourage others to do the same. Especially if your local shops owned by pro 2a guys who support local 2a community and are involved in 2a initiatives in the state.

There are two gun shops in Natick right in the downtown area. Every dollar you spend there is another f*** you to that sheep rapist Linsky. I want to see them prosper here, not some SC walmart.

I won't have a heart attack if someone has to buy walmart gun and cry afterwards why shit doesn't fit or their CS told them to FOAD, there are plenty of crying threads. I do want people to understand, that when you support your buddies, your buddies will support you.

The whole idea that a business as an entity should be obligated to push any angle with regard to laws is in my opinion misguided. Individuals should be, but when businesses go down that road, the play out at the end of the line is crony capitalism. A business is after all a collection of individuals who should all be politically active on their own accord.

some business are privately held and the family or individuals who own them may choose to pursue making a statement besides just making money. I don't have problem with that, especially when I know a couple of local gun store owners who are solid 2a supporters. If anything, I'd prefer to support them over some two faced Walmart of guns.

I don' see a problem with Target Sports shipping to MA PDs, unless it's some quid pro quo, but I have seen no proof or suggestion of proof to that regard. They are in CT, so their location favors them over other shippers.

This is not an emotional issue. It's about voting with your dollars. I vote for my local shops and encourage others to do the same. Especially if your local shops owned by pro 2a guys who support local 2a community and are involved in 2a initiatives in the state.

There are two gun shops in Natick right in the downtown area. Every dollar you spend there is another f*** you to that sheep rapist Linsky. I want to see them prosper here, not some SC walmart.

I won't have a heart attack if someone has to buy walmart gun and cry afterwards why shit doesn't fit or their CS told them to FOAD, there are plenty of crying threads. I do want people to understand, that when you support your buddies, your buddies will support you.

some business are privately held and the family or individuals who own them may choose to pursue making a statement besides just making money. I don't have problem with that, especially when I know a couple of local gun store owners who are solid 2a supporters. If anything, I'd prefer to support them over some two faced Walmart of guns.

I don' see a problem with Target Sports shipping to MA PDs, unless it's some quid pro quo, but I have seen no proof or suggestion of proof to that regard. They are in CT, so their location favors them over other shippers.

I support my local shop, probably ( no I'll say definitely) more than anyone within forty miles of him.

Just an FYI, Palmetto parts and rifles come with a lifetime warranty.

As for Target Sports/ quid pro quo........I'd love to know the true answer, but given the level and depths of corruption in MA state and local governments, I'm going to go with my gut instinct.......it is not on the level.

I agree with this, and someday PSA may regret it. I bought a decent of stuff from them when they sold a long time ago to MA.

They have probably looked at their volume of sales, and also that MA has way lower AR activity than other states because of the laws and decided to punt. They are definitely losing some business.....but in the current state of affairs...not enough for them to care. If they ever decided to learn the laws and sell, well, then you can tell them to go screw......just like Cheaper than Dirt.

People are that are mad about it....are likely just butthurt because of they can't get their prices anywhere else. But you can go other places.....so do that, vote with your dollars.

And as for Target Sports......night and day. Target Sports is in a highly regulated state that understands bullshit gun laws. Palmetto.....when Im down in South Carolina they look at me like I have 2 heads when I tell them I can't buy a lower, or need a special "gun" license. They have NO f***ing idea what that is.....AMMO.....they nearly fall on the floor when I say I need to show my "gun" license to buy fricking powder or bullet heads.

As for Target Sports/ quid pro quo........I'd love to know the true answer, but given the level and depths of corruption in MA state and local governments, I'm going to go with my gut instinct.......it is not on the level.

Lol so you are not willing to simply give them credit for having a set of balls? [rofl] And perhaps an attorney that actually understands the laws.

A lot of others folded like a cheap suit after the strongly worded letter gets received. TSUSA didn't, because they knew better. Most of the gun control stuff in MA operates off the
premise of blowing smoke up peoples asses, making vague legal threats, etc.

I don't necessarily blame people for not wanting to get involved. Business decision, fine, whatever. But TSUSA should be commended for standing up to these f***ing cretins.

-Mike

This is not an emotional issue.

It is emotional though, for some. look at all the f***ing crybabies on here (and on faceplant) complaining when some stupid remote won't sell them something. Instead of adulting it up and getting what they want, they sit around and cry. "oh woe is me, I live in MA, boo hoo hoo" etc. One of these days I am going to print up an MA gun owner crying towel for these people. Maurons aides probably see this stuff on NES and FB and then she gets off on it. Don't cry in front of bullies. Punch them in the face.

It's about voting with your dollars. I vote for my local shops and encourage others to do the same. Especially if your local shops owned by pro 2a guys who support local 2a community and are involved in 2a initiatives in the state.\

I don't disagree here especially when its a no brainer to make those kinds of choices. People should be aware though that like 80% of the industry doesn't give a shit about RKBA, it's no
different than any other industry. Most of the people within it are there to make money. Anything else is 2nd. Although an argument could be made that regardless of the
business's motives, having another decent gun shop operating anywhere is generally a good thing.

The other fun thing is that skinflints don't understand is if you bother to build a rapport with a local shop as more than just some shitty customer the better ones will treat you pretty
well. This causes the prices to fall They fall to the point where buying something from a remote almost makes no sense. Like when I bought my last big DW purchase I paid a little
more from "my guy". He knew that his price wasnt the cheapest but he did me a solid and got the thing overnighted. I also know that if I ever bought a gun from him that was f***ed
up he would do me a solid and facilitate the shipping etc to get it fixed, sometimes not even charging me a dime for it.

Yeah, well that stuff is FET exempt and almost an entirely different business. They should sell to whoever they need to sell to to keep the ship running. It is good backfill for them when
the commercial stuff dies down, that's probably why they do it.

-Mike

Because there are MANY other companies that have chosen to sell to MA residents. This points the finger directly at PSA as being the bad guy in all of this.

Yes, I agree that MA gun laws and regulations are an abomination. But the fact is, PSA has chosen to f-over the people who are going to be giving them money for their products. If they were really fighting against MA tyranny, they would go the route of Barrett and ban sales to MA state and local government agencies. I don't think they sold a ton to them, but just put them on notice instead of me.

I'm a NH resident and generally speaking avoid being in MA when possible, the place/laws are a liability. I can't blame anyone from not doing business in MA.

PSA is just reacting to threats - the state scares the hell out of me too. As a MA resident you can buy all the non serialized PSA stuff you want, in NH. Hell you can get a NH mailing address via several means such as a PO box, ship em to yourself- how hard is that?

As far as PSA goes, I think their AK venture was a great idea in that market and are really well reviewed.. in a lot of sense vanilla AR parts are AR parts to some extent, they are no better or worse than a lot of similar companies..

Personally though I think Aero & Spikes are better quality, particularly the stuff enhanced beyond mil spec (which is what makes higher end ARs - going beyond mil spec) and for a barrel bought separately I might go with a spikes/fn chf chrome lined but generally choose none of the above. I know psa claims they have a value priced chf fn barrel but i suspect they are more cheaply built or blems.

Back
Top Bottom