• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Palmetto KS47

Per my usual SOP of ordering something and then asking advice about it, I offer the following:

Yesterday I saw a Palmetto Daily Deal for a blem lower for their KS47 (AR that takes AK Mags) for $129, and another deal for a full carbine build kit for $299. Both items included shipping, so full rifle with FFL transfer would be $450.

The build kit with upper sold out right away, but I ordered the blem lower anyway, figuring the upper deal would come back eventually. Well, it came back already this morning, so I now have a full order out there for all parts to build a Palmetto KS47 standard carbine for $450. Palmetto sells the complete carbine for $900 plus shipping & transfer.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-ks47-classic-carbine.html

Anybody have one or seen one? I've got a bunch of AKs, a bunch of ARs, and a ton of AK mags. This seems like a fun thing to play with for short money.

Last edited:
I bought the kit a few months ago, By accident. I wanted the AR-47 kit. The only difference is a few lower receiver parts. I considered keeping it and ordering the blem lower, but ended up returning it because I had AR-lowers already.

It's still on my list simply because it will take AK magazines. Oh and it's a flame thrower even with a flash hider on it. I am getting a muzzle brake to put on, for no real reason. It shoots fine even one handed, just heavy to hold up for long.

IMG_5742_zps7dbpnb4j.png

Last edited:
Damn I'm interested in it I'll be building one next year at some point. If I didn't stumble across a p30l at a stupid good price I'd have bought that

I had to wait until my FFL reopened from the holidays to pick up my lower. I got the upper and the rest of the kit a couple of weeks ago. Stuck an old PA red dot on it for the test drive. I don't think I'll get it to the range before next weekend.

So far I test fit a surplus 30 round mag and a Korean drum. Both locked up nice with a bit of wiggle. I tried a Tapco mag, but that was too tight to even get in. I have some AK Pmags coming, which are supposed to work great in these.

The lower was sold as a blem, but I can't find anything wrong with it. There are a couple of nicks on the upper, mainly the charging handle, which I usually upgrade anyway.

And after about 15 minutes of assembly...

(It's nice not having to do the AR bolt catch pin)

I have some doo dads on order to snazz it up a bit, but this will get me started.

Had time for a quick range trip this afternoon. Didn't spend a lot of time zeroing the sights, but it was hitting steel at 100 yards with the red dot if I held it a bit low.

It ran 100% with the first two steel surplus mags. Tried a brand new $5 Tapco mag, which I had to force in, and it didn't work so well. Got it to fire a few rounds, but every round required me to rack the charging handle 3-4 times before it finally chambered. I gave up, dumped the rounds from that mag into one of the empty steel mags, and it ran fine from there.

Next nice day I will spend some time testing accuracy and try out some other mags. So far, so good.

Here it is all Magpulled out. This is my first time handling the Magpul SL foregrip. I really like the feel of it. Much slimmer than the original, and I like how it covers the gas block and delta ring.

The AK Pmags fit much better than the Tapcos. They lock right up with no modifications. I can't wait to see how well they feed.

Probably won't keep this red dot on it. It's absolute cowitness, and it's a pretty crowded sight picture like this. If this thing turns out to have decent accuracy, I may put something with magnification on here.

Managed another range trip yesterday afternoon with this thing. So far, I am extremely glad I picked this up.

I replaced that blocky rear sight with a Magpul MBUS, which was a big improvement.

I ran several more surplus mags through it, as well as a few AK Pmags, and all of them fed 100%. I thought the Pmags might need to wear down a bit, but they ran perfectly out of the box. The only mags that haven't worked well are the Tapcos, and that's just because they don't fit. (The Tapco mags have worked perfectly in my AKs). I had seen people have issues if they rested the rifle on the mag, or put forward pressure on the mag while shooting, but I did not bother trying to reproduce that. I never rest my AKs on the mags while shooting anyway.

I got it zeroed at 100 yards with both the MBUS and the PA red dot. 5 shot groups were right around 4 inches using a mixture of Golden Tiger and Tula. The red dot in this sight resembles a bunch of grapes that cover all of a 4" target, so I am pretty happy with the groupings. Hitting the 12" gong at 1 second intervals was pretty easy as well.

Now that I have decided it is a keeper, I'll probably look to put a better red dot on it, or maybe a magnified scope. And an improved trigger would certainly help.

Back
Top Bottom