Paleo VS. Ketogenic diet

Cowgirlup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen both mentioned here. I'm looking for opinions and experiences.
Did you quit carbs and processed sugars cold turkey or ease into it? Are you strict with it or have you modified the plans?

I like different things about each plan. I did a zero carb diet on the Eat Right for Your Type plan. That did not work for me at all. Maybe I just make my own PaleoGenic diet?

Any help is appreciated.

Mr. Brownstone

NES Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I've seen both mentioned here. I'm looking for opinions and experiences.
Did you quit carbs and processed sugars cold turkey or ease into it? Are you strict with it or have you modified the plans?

I like different things about each plan. I did a zero carb diet on the Eat Right for Your Type plan. That did not work for me at all. Maybe I just make my own PaleoGenic diet?

Any help is appreciated.
Are you working out or just changing eating habits?

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paleo <> Keto. Paleo can be dialed carb-up or -down depending on your needs. Keto can be Paleo (or not) depending on what you include.

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Went full keto last summer. Went from 18% BF to 12% BF in under 2 months. I also combined with HIIT while morning fasting. I was shredded, but it was not sustainable. If you're looking to basically reduce your clothes size, I would recommend reprogramming your overall nutritional intake and activity levels. Diets are always temporary.

Mr. Brownstone

NES Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
The thing about paleo/whole 30 type (real food only) diets, is that it is very difficult to eat a calorie surplus when eating vegetables and lean meats. Limiting carbs will show results fast. A lot of water weight will drop ininitial phase. However, your body will adjust and stall progress over time.

If you are working out and eating paleo/clean you will need carbs on your workout days. Sweet potatos are great if on paleo.

Be consistant. Don’t cheat and you will see results. 1-2 pounds a week is a good goal.

Sauer Grapes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A few years back, I did old school Atkins. I aimed for 0 carbs which translated to < 20 g/day. No beer or wine, but spirits ok. I dropped 35 lbs in about 4 months. It all stayed off until that bitch known as menopause showed up. Now I seem to be chasing that last 10 lbs......

SpaceCritter

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing about paleo/whole 30 type (real food only) diets, is that it is very difficult to eat a calorie surplus when eating vegetables and lean meats. Limiting carbs will show results fast. A lot of water weight will drop ininitial phase. However, your body will adjust and stall progress over time.

If you are working out and eating paleo/clean you will need carbs on your workout days. Sweet potatos are great if on paleo.

Be consistant. Don’t cheat and you will see results. 1-2 pounds a week is a good goal.
Caloric-content wise, there are always good fats. As far as the stalls... they're more accurately plateaus. If you're dropping weight, they'll feel a lot like aviation holding patterns: you're there for awhile, suddenly you get clearance from the tower, and you're down a whole bunch again. Truth be told: you're adjusting internally to a bunch of changes during those plateaus.

Mr. Brownstone

NES Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Caloric-content wise, there are always good fats. As far as the stalls... they're more accurately plateaus. If you're dropping weight, they'll feel a lot like aviation holding patterns: you're there for awhile, suddenly you get clearance from the tower, and you're down a whole bunch again. Truth be told: you're adjusting internally to a bunch of changes during those plateaus.
Fat has gotten a bad name. As you say, there are plenty of good fats. Avocado, olive oil, almonds. I ate between 2-6 eggs a day(among other things) and lost about 60 pounds. My blood work did a complete 180. My Dr. high fived me, told me to get out of his office and to keep doing whatever it was I was doing. Last time I had seen him he was pushing statins on me.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Fat has gotten a bad name. As you say, there are plenty of good fats. Avocado, olive oil, almonds. I ate between 2-6 eggs a day(among other things) and lost about 60 pounds. My blood work did a complete 180. My Dr. high fived me, told me to get out of his office and to keep doing whatever it was I was doing. Last time I had seen him he was pushing statins on me.
Give us the deets. I could stand to drop 30lbs :eek:

Mr. Brownstone

NES Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I ate very clean. Meat, eggs, vegetables, and oatmeal.

I used myfitnesspal to log food in the beginning. It taught me what a day should actually look like meal wise. I cook all of my own meals.

Eventually I dumped the food logging, as it wasn’t necessary, but I use it to get on track from time to time.

I am also lucky that I don’t drink at all. That wouldbe a challenge.

On the fitness end I started lifting weights three days a week, two days I did high intensity cardio, and the two off days, I would go for a walk. I needed to do something every day to stay on track, it’s how I work.

After losing close to 45#, I started doing CrossFit and eating Paleo. Lost some more weight, but more importantly fat and gained a little muscle.

I’ll try to dig up a before/after pic.

Pic on right is on day 28 of a 30 day Paleo Challenge. About 4 months into CrossFit.

Attachments

Masswhole

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Give us the deets. I could stand to drop 30lbs :eek:
Research Keto.
Buy the book Eat Bacon Jog Less.
Basically stop eating carbs and sugar to reduce your blood glucose and start burning fat instead of sugar.
If you like grains, large fruit, desserts or (my hardest part) beer it will be hard.
With will power you will see quick, sustainable results.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I ate very clean. Meat, eggs, vegetables, and oatmeal.

I used myfitnesspal to log food in the beginning. It taught me what a day should actually look like meal wise. I cook all of my own meals.

Eventually I dumped the food logging, as it wasn’t necessary, but I use it to get on track from time to time.

I am also lucky that I don’t drink at all. That wouldbe a challenge.

On the fitness end I started lifting weights three days a week, two days I did high intensity cardio, and the two off days, I would go for a walk. I needed to do something every day to stay on track, it’s how I work.

After losing close to 45#, I started doing CrossFit and eating Paleo. Lost some more weight, but more importantly fat and gained a little muscle.

I’ll try to dig up a before/after pic.

Pic on right is on day 28 of a 30 day Paleo Challenge. About 4 months into CrossFit.
Nice job man!

Research Keto.
Buy the book Eat Bacon Jog Less.
Basically stop eating carbs and sugar to reduce your blood glucose and start burning fat instead of sugar.
If you like grains, large fruit, desserts or (my hardest part) beer it will be hard.
With will power you will see quick, sustainable results.
I can live with liquor instead of beer but that's not a whole lot better. It's booze and cheese that are my absolute downfalls, plus whenever I don't have time to meal prep and end up going out for breakfast (Dunkin bagels) and lunch (sandwiches).

Cowgirlup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you working out or just changing eating habits?
I'm trying to get back on a good work out plan but my body just won't tolerate it right now. Auto immune issue is kicking my butt I think.
I'm hoping if I change eating habits I will feel better and have more energy. Craving carbs and sugar for energy and then I feel worse so I'm thinking if I can break that cycle I'll feel better. I'm small and only want to lose a few pounds so far. The same bitch that is stalking SG is also after me so the weight control will be a battle.

Mass-diver

NES Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I did keto for well over a year, it’s realky, really tough to do long term. If you cheat, it takes days to go back into it. I was doing 20grams of carbs a day. It’s really hardcore, paleo is way less extreme.

I’m doing IF now - love it. Much easier and more fun. Lost 10lbs the first 2 weeks. I’m 39yo, 6’1, 175, 14ish BF - avid swimmer (HIIT).

Mr. Brownstone

NES Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I'm trying to get back on a good work out plan but my body just won't tolerate it right now. Auto immune issue is kicking my butt I think.
I'm hoping if I change eating habits I will feel better and have more energy. Craving carbs and sugar for energy and then I feel worse so I'm thinking if I can break that cycle I'll feel better. I'm small and only want to lose a few pounds so far. The same bitch that is stalking SG is also after me so the weight control will be a battle.
What do you eat when you give in to carb cravings?

Wickedcoolname

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Atkins diet for me. Worked like a champ. The induction phase is fairly strict, but after a couple of weeks it becomes normal. Now that I've been in the maintenance phase for a couple of years it's no big deal. I do miss some foods but not as much as I enjoy being 40 pounds lighter.

Masswhole

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Nice job man!

I can live with liquor instead of beer but that's not a whole lot better. It's booze and cheese that are my absolute downfalls, plus whenever I don't have time to meal prep and end up going out for breakfast (Dunkin bagels) and lunch (sandwiches).
Once your body is burning fat you can eat bacon wrapped cheese.
Vodka, whiskey, tequila have zero carbs or sugar. It's the mixers that kill you. An IPA has 38g carbs each, a miller lite 3.
You got to avoid bread/rice/potato etc. I still go to favorite burrito place, just get meat tossed on top of a salad.
Faggotry? Perhaps but when the #s melt off you'll welcome your new overlord.
Bonus points for no hungry yo-yo or sugar crashes.
I was skeptical til I saw the results of a buddy who did it to hit NCO physical requirements. It works, but I don't obsess about food, it's a necessary chore to me.

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've cut out processed foods, dairy, and grains. I started superbowl Sunday, and I'm down about 25lbs so far with the food difference being the only change I have made to date. I have had a few cheat meals, and they still aren't too bad.

Cowgirlup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you eat when you give in to carb cravings?
I usually want sweets first and them go right to salt.

It's weird. If I get up and don't eat I'm not hungry and feel pretty good. As soon as I eat then the cravings kick in. Doesn't matter what I had for breakfast, which is usually eggs some way. No toast or anything.

Masswhole

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I've cut out processed foods, dairy, and grains. I started superbowl Sunday, and I'm down about 25lbs so far with the food difference being the only change I have made to date. I have had a few cheat meals, and they still aren't too bad.
I typically cheat on weekends.
Friday working at my place in maine I had chicken fried steak with shredded hash browns for breakfast, nachos for lunch and 3 16oz Bissell Bros IPAs for dinner. Totally off the rails.
Back at it next day, no harm done other than body being like WTF?
If you have discipline you can jump right back in, your body will adjust as long as you don't go full retard and totally get glucose levels out of whack.
When I go to my sicilian MILs for dinner, I better eat her spaghetti or I'm swimming with the fishes.

Mr. Brownstone

NES Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I usually want sweets first and them go right to salt.

It's weird. If I get up and don't eat I'm not hungry and feel pretty good. As soon as I eat then the cravings kick in. Doesn't matter what I had for breakfast, which is usually eggs some way. No toast or anything.
Before I changed my eating habits I would get out of work and buy two sandwiches and two king size candy bars. Whachamacallit and reece sticks. I made my own candy bar.

So I had some sugar cravings to deal with. My deal was to eat as much fruit as I wanted. I probably ate 5 oranges a night. But eventually went to 4,3,etc.

For me, I needed healthy cleAn food available all the time. If I had a craving, I ate something healthy. Eventually, it got easy.

Roadglide

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on your goals (weight loss, cut, health, bodybuild etc.) and how your body reacts to certain things. What works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. Your goal can guide you a long way in regards to best course of action. All the suggestions mentioned are good. They all work but they might not all work for you. Its a lot of trial and error. I've tried them all and I found the best way for me to lean out while training was to just count calories. I put myself in a daily deficit, avoided sugar and did weights, cardio and boxing intermittently six days a week. I got myself to single digits bodyfat but sacrificed some muscle. Its really hard for me to do both. Like I said all the suggestions mentioned are good I would just do more homework before jumping on one. Read up. And I'll throw out another. Google carb backloading by John Kiefer. Good luck.

Cowgirlup

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I changed my eating habits I would get out of work and buy two sandwiches and two king size candy bars. Whachamacallit and reece sticks. I made my own candy bar.

So I had some sugar cravings to deal with. My deal was to eat as much fruit as I wanted. I probably ate 5 oranges a night. But eventually went to 4,3,etc.

For me, I needed healthy cleAn food available all the time. If I had a craving, I ate something healthy. Eventually, it got easy.

I can't have anything I love in the house. Brownies, cookies, dark chocolate. I was keeping brownies in the freezer so that helped a little but I want to just break the cycle if possible. Most fruit doesn't agree with me but right now raw cauliflower and carrots with a little ranch dressing solves the crunchy/salty craving.

Mr. Brownstone

NES Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I can't have anything I love in the house. Brownies, cookies, dark chocolate. I was keeping brownies in the freezer so that helped a little but I want to just break the cycle if possible. Most fruit doesn't agree with me but right now raw cauliflower and carrots with a little ranch dressing solves the crunchy/salty craving.
Can I convince you to ditch the ranch?

LittleCalm

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Paleo is not healthy for the digestive track long term. Portion control and exercise are the two biggest factors in weight loss. Calories equal math. Math doesn't lie. These diets are all fine short term but if you don't have an overall healthy diet (that is well rounded) with exercise, you are not going to be healthy long term.

Top Bottom