• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

painting SS

Cluster F

USMC Veteran
NES Member
I haved used brownells Gun Kote with alot of success before on other firearms. But this was over a park. finish. I dont have the ability to get this SS barrel sand blasted but i want to paint it black. What are my surface prep options? Just used sand paper or steel wool?

Well, the natural thing to do is sand it, or at least rough up the surface so that the paint has something to "grab" as it cures. If it's smooth, it'll dry on and be much easier to knock off, so by increasing the surface area of the surface it attaches to, you increase the bond strength.

so hit it with sand paper, steel wool, etc. And sand it in as many directions as possible.

Ideally, you'd want to media blast it an parkerize it, but SS shouldn't corrode so you should be ok with a "ghetto job."

I would still touch it up with sand paper, just so it has a better bond. And also- if you want to go cheap, use rattle can home depot appliance epoxy. It's $5 a can. And after you let it dry for a few days, bake it in the oven at 400F for an hour. It turned out very clean on my AK74.

The other option is to have it blackend. A process like black oxcide for stanless steel. I can bead blast your barrel and send it out to be blackend for $75.00. This is a much better process then paint.
Thanks
John
413 579 1994

Back
Top Bottom