• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Painting my frame?

USMC 1775

Banned
i have an RIA 1911 im trying build up to the pistol i want and i want to refinish it. i was looking at duracoat and i recently saw the brownells Gun Kote. i am wondering if anyone has any experience and also which is the easiest gun prep. i dont have the ability to sand blast or anything. i thought i read that duracoat just needs to be degreased and i can spray over the existing finish? and i wana do like the new beavertail and some other parts to

IMAG0031.jpg

is there a gunsmith near northshore MA or sothern NH that offers gun-kote refinishing. I would do it myself, but i'm not to good with paint, and pretty sure my g/f would kill me if I used the oven to bake it afterwards, lol.

is there a gunsmith near northshore MA or sothern NH that offers gun-kote refinishing. I would do it myself, but i'm not to good with paint, and pretty sure my g/f would kill me if I used the oven to bake it afterwards, lol.

im interested also

Last edited:
i have an old toaster oven i might give the gun kote a try. just need to make a wire rack to bake it on. i am probabaly going to do the reciever OD or Dark earth to start and if i like it ill do the slide black.

i have an old toaster oven i might give the gun kote a try. just need to make a wire rack to bake it on. i am probabaly going to do the reciever OD or Dark earth to start and if i like it ill do the slide black.

would a toaster work? all the vid's i've seen of guncoating has people hanging it from a rack instead of just laying it on one.

mike93lx said:
give greg derr a call. I know he does Cerakote, but I'm not sure about gun kote (are they different?)
good thought, I'll give him a call. they are a bit different, I think gun-kote is supposed to be a bit more resilient, also different colors.

I would go with anything you mix yourself over Brownell's rattle can Gunkote. From my experience anything you mix and spray will be better than a rattle can. Rattle can's have the hardeners and solvent thinners mixed in, and use different stuff so it doesn't harden in the can. I have done a lot of painting with many different types of finishes, and self mix has always been more durable. I have also read many reviews stating the same. It may cost more and require more equipment, but you are applying this to a gun you probably paid hundreds for. Why trust it to a rattle can? And blasting can be done by any number of businesses, and won't cost much. Engine shops, machine shops, welding shops, auto body shops, most anywhere that deals with metal will have a blast cabinet and will probably blast your gun for $20 if you ask nice. I don't know where your located, but I will do it if you can't find someone.

Bottom line, you have a gun you probably value. Why put a sub-par finish on it? Spend the cash to do it right. If it chips and cracks you will regret it, and most likely will have to blast it again to get the finish back off. Unless ok is good enough, do it right or have someone do it for you.
Most places I see will coat a handgun for $120-170. Money well spent in my eyes.

From what I read, CeraKote is top of the line. It's ceramic based, and is tough as nails. Ceramic is one of the hardest materials, second to only diamond I believe. It's what I plan to use on my Remington 1100, as it will see a lot of salt in the duck blind.

Unless you have a spray gun and an oven, I would outsource. I would only trust my gun to someone with the right equipment and experience to ensure a quality finish that will last for years without issue.
This is only my opinion. Do as you wish. Just make sure whatever you choose will last, doing it twice won't save money in the end. Good luck.

Yea toaster will work. It will get uo to the same temp. And i have a wire rack i made to srand it up. Id pay money to do it but were is the fun in that. I eant to give it a try and if it turns out good then i can say i did it.

Back
Top Bottom