Painting Mass. license plate ?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed today that one of my license plates is badly weathered, I google searched and couldn't find anything on wether I'm responsible for maintaining the plates or not. Am I "authorized" to repaint them ?

TC McQuade

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that you are not allowed to paint plates, even if it makes them more legible. Instead, they want you to pay for a replacement plate.

FWIW, I used to be a state inspector.

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
But they won't reissue you a green one, right? Those are the ones that I usually see painted (in my parents' driveway).

LoginName

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Noticed today that one of my license plates is badly weathered, I google searched and couldn't find anything on wether I'm responsible for maintaining the plates or not. Am I "authorized" to repaint them ?
You can try and repaint it, but under the new overly anal inspection system, it's questionable if it will pass.

FWIW... I know one person that failed for having a faded plate (actually, he was told that it wouldn't pass before the inspector
pulled it into the bay, and this was at a station where he had been going to for years without a problem).

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
This, but don't worry because it's about finding the bad guys not generating monies. [rolleyes]
Correction: It's about MAKING bad guys....

Coming soon to a communist state near you: Mailed to your door traffic tickets because your elapsed time between tolls exceeded the possible time frame within the speed limit. No you may not contest, pay the state or get locked in a cage.

Parker Duofold

NES Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
From an old thread:
By state law, Massachusetts license plates must be readable from 60 feet away. Any green or red passenger plate, which has lost its reflective coating or paint, must be replaced. You can be cited by law enforcement for this violation. Also, your vehicle will be ineligible to pass the yearly required state safety inspection.
So the state doesn't want you to try to repair and/or repaint your plate. The RMV even says that the plates are property of the Commonwealth. If your plate is deemed "unreadable" you have to buy a new set for $10 each and they don't even belong to you. This state sucks on so many levels.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I've still got a few years left on the wife's green plate. Although 2 weeks without the plate will be a PITA if I decided to get it repainted, hypothetically speaking. Do it near registration renewal and they'll mail you a stickah.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I was rejected a few years ago because I had used some of the wife's nail polish to enhance the letters. I had to pay $20 for a new plate fee. No charge if it had been green

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I was recently rejected for non reflective plates. Took the reject paperwork and said plates to the registry. Got two replacement plates and a new registration for zip. You only have to pay if you want the same plate number.

jayhitek

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
A friend of mine touch painted his green one with nail polish. Hasn't had a problem.. yet.

I have in the past paid the $10 and got new ones. But I have the Red White and Blue ones.

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
You can try and repaint it, but under the new overly anal inspection system, it's questionable if it will pass.

FWIW... I know one person that failed for having a faded plate (actually, he was told that it wouldn't pass before the inspector
pulled it into the bay, and this was at a station where he had been going to for years without a problem).
My understanding is that you're not allowed to repaint them. So if you do it - it had damn well better be a good job so you can deny it was ever done.

The green plates are LONG GONE. If your plates fail the inspection process you'll get TWO plates of the new style and you'll have to install them front and rear.

There are some places out there that will repaint plates and they do a very good job. My father had it done and I don't think you could tell the difference between the original plate and the repaint job.

So when he brings it in for inspection the inspectors have a real conundrum on their hands because the plate looks pristine and new - but it also looks so good that it's hard to tell it was repainted.

Sooner or later they're just gonna force people to give up the plates , but until then all the green plate people are giving a nice finger to the system - which is something I applaud them for.

Masswhole

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
My buddy just ordered a replacement/reproduction green plate.
Bought a new truck and dealer said old plate was too trashed/not reflective enough.
He considered sending it to a restoration service but that took too much time.
You can't tell its not official, he lives next to a local and state cops and they didn't say anything when checking out his truck (raptor, so they were checking it out b/c its badass)

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Any time I write an appraisal and the plate has been damaged, I do a sublet line for 15 dollars to replace the MA plate.

As long as you don't say it is lost or stolen, you can get your number back, if you tell them it was lost or stolen and they want to issue new plates.

At least it is not a safety defect.... I hate peeling peoples inspection stickers off, and if they don't let me they get a certified letter and the RMV gets notified.

MP-In-The-Wind

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was recently rejected for non reflective plates. Took the reject paperwork and said plates to the registry. Got two replacement plates and a new registration for zip. You only have to pay if you want the same plate number.
Ayuh...same here...no charge for TWO new plates.....

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding is that you're not allowed to repaint them. So if you do it - it had damn well better be a good job so you can deny it was ever done.

The green plates are LONG GONE. If your plates fail the inspection process you'll get TWO plates of the new style and you'll have to install them front and rear.

There are some places out there that will repaint plates and they do a very good job. My father had it done and I don't think you could tell the difference between the original plate and the repaint job.

So when he brings it in for inspection the inspectors have a real conundrum on their hands because the plate looks pristine and new - but it also looks so good that it's hard to tell it was repainted.

Sooner or later they're just gonna force people to give up the plates , but until then all the green plate people are giving a nice finger to the system - which is something I applaud them for.
Something I keep hearing and know it will eventually happen if I remain stuck here. The time prior to renewing my last registration the lady at the registry told me it would be the last time it would probably be allowed. Last year I skipped the registry and renewed at the local AAA office and still have my green plate. [smile]

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Any time I write an appraisal and the plate has been damaged, I do a sublet line for 15 dollars to replace the MA plate.

As long as you don't say it is lost or stolen, you can get your number back, if you tell them it was lost or stolen and they want to issue new plates.

At least it is not a safety defect.... I hate peeling peoples inspection stickers off, and if they don't let me they get a certified letter and the RMV gets notified.
If the plate is damaged to the point which it won't pass inspection, how can it NOT be a "safety" FAIL (red R).
There are only two categories of rejection for the inspector to work with, emissions (black R) on sticker, and anything other than emissions, which will mandate a red R.

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
My buddy just ordered a replacement/reproduction green plate.
Bought a new truck and dealer said old plate was too trashed/not reflective enough.
He considered sending it to a restoration service but that took too much time.
You can't tell its not official, he lives next to a local and state cops and they didn't say anything when checking out his truck (raptor, so they were checking it out b/c its badass)
Are you saying that there's somebody out there stamping out reproduction license plates? (other than the MA RMV) ?

mtnbiker26

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I had plates with red lettering that were pretty faded. Vehicle inspection guys were giving me a hard time about it for a few years in a row. I finally went to the registry and they swapped them no charge.

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
I don't know if the RMV still does, but they used to give you the option of replacing a stolen/lost plate with the same number. They recommended against it, but would do it.

Some years ago, there was a company that would repaint the green plates for people who didn't want to switch to two license plates. As I recall, the state put a stop to that and threatened legal action against the company.

Finally, I've been told by someone who works for a state agency somewhat involved in this that MA will be going back to one plate as a cost saving measure. The time frame is a couple of years out.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Finally, I've been told by someone who works for a state agency somewhat involved in this that MA will be going back to one plate as a cost saving measure. The time frame is a couple of years out.
Never going to happen, they will raise the registration fees first.

Police and other agencies will say they need 2 plates.... and I don't disagree with them.

3M, the maker of the reflective material used on the plates has paid lobbyists to repel any effort to go back to one plate

3M Company $18,500.00
Details about your lobbyist or entity's efforts
01/01/2010 06/30/2010 Matters regarding, but not limited to, the procurement and use of products for the manufacture of license plates and the enhancement of highway safety within the Commonwealth.

whalerman69

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
They just failed my 92 year old dad because of faded plates. He had to go to DMV in Fall River get new plates.

Wickedcoolname

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm still using a green plate that I've had since 1987. About once a year I wipe it down with WD-40. It's still shiney and reflective but the paint was starting to crack like an eggshell. I filled in the cracks with bit of reflective paint, and now it looks great again. I love having just one plate. I'm hoping it lasts another 30 years.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what the worst thing about this whole plate thing is? You are not allowed to put anything over the plate, not even a clear cover, to protect it from damage. You can be failed for that as well.

-B-

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is just not worth it I am giving up my 34 year old plate , they want all the greens off the road

Top Bottom