• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Painting a Glock Slide

Looking for the best rattle can method for spraying a glock slide. I painted mine with high temp wheel paint and high temp clear coat and it was peeling within a week. I de greased it, sanded it, de greased again. Baked it, painted it, repeated.

Any particular primer i could have used to help it adhere better?

Looking for the best rattle can method for spraying a glock slide. I painted mine with high temp wheel paint and high temp clear coat and it was peeling within a week. I de greased it, sanded it, de greased again. Baked it, painted it, repeated.

Any particular primer i could have used to help it adhere better?

I never heard of buying a Glock to make it pretty.

Automotive high temp primer. Like the stuff they use on engines. Rustoleum brand is good. You can get it at wally world. It will be in the automotive section not in hardware w/ the other paints.

My experience with rattle can is it'll never last on something that's getting carried. If I was broke and wanted to waste my time spiffying up a gun I'd think polish would be longer lasting than paint.

Yeah me either, they're pretty ugly to begin with. But I'm the 3rd owner of this 20 year old police trade in and the finish looks like shit.

if finish looks like shit, would taking can of spray paint to it make it look good? you're breaking my heart. please get the gun cerakoted. it would probably look good!!

if finish looks like shit, would taking can of spray paint to it make it look good? you're breaking my heart. please get the gun cerakoted. it would probably look good!!

Lol it did look good, until it met its holster.
e4c5e7d1a959ffc3d87d43b1bb2c09ec.jpg

Oil blueing will give it a very cool finish.
Directions to blueing with oil.
Remove all parts from the slide (you are going have to remove the striker sleeve and replace it, order a new one before you start the project)
Remove all old finish/blueing ect. lightly sand or steel wool or scotch bright to the desired finish on the bare steel, don't be too concerned with the inside of the slide you are only finishing the outside for looks not the inside it will be OK.
After prepping the slide you will need to d-grease it. Use acetone, brake clean or some other d-greaser, acetone works great and is inexpensive and available at Home depot (use rubber gloves for this part of the operation not latex gloves)
You will need a Propane torch. You will need a way to hold the slide to the heat it, a metal rod in the striker channel would work OK, don't force it find a rod that fits loosely and you will need vice grips to hold the rod. You will need to heat the slide to around 570 deg. (drawing point of steel) You want to heat the slide up until you get a consistent darkening of the steel. The torch doesn't have to be set to full blast just enough to darkening the steel to an even looking bluish color. You are looking for an (Even Darkening) (This Is Important). As you are heating the slide take it away from the torch flame every once in a while to check and let it cool just a bit to let you see where the darkening is uneven, then back to the heat to get that even darkening. Once you have achieved an even dark finish drop the hot slide into your container of oil. Drop the whole slide in all at once, let it cool in the oil. Once it has cooled down take it out of the oil and clean off all the oil. You will need a container larger enough to immerse the entire slide in oil all at once. Any motor oil will work (not synthetic real motor oil)
The slide should have a nice dark blued finish. Reassemble your slide and install it on the frame, function check and you are ready for the range.

Remember that Glocks are manly guns and don't take kindly to non-manly things. Stop painting it pink and it might stick. ;)

Whenever I re-finish my guns, I also buy grillz and a matching hat to go with it.

Yeah me either, they're pretty ugly to begin with. But I'm the 3rd owner of this 20 year old police trade in and the finish looks like shit.

It doesn't look like shit, it's a vintage collectable that has a nice patina. [smile]

Get it Cerakoted. It really doesn't cost that much to do a pistol slide, and it holds up much better than any spray paint. It also looks a lot nicer, and it wont flake off and clog up your slide. I also saw a comment in thread about bluing it. Most Glock slides are treated with tennifer, which needs to be completely removed (.002"-.003") before bluing will adhere. Usually way more of a pain in the ass than is necessary.

Bumping this just to state how bad the new Glock finishes are. I recently discovered that my 1yr old G43 has a pretty bad rusty slide issue. I carried it all summer in a coyote brown Raven Kydex holster. I noticed it earlier this year, but I thought it was just the Kydex rubbing off on the slide and never paid it much mind until I went to clean it and switch over to my G19 for the winter. I'm assuming the sweat getting into the holster may have been a factor, but I have 20-year-old Glock's that are pristine in comparison. I've got Steve at Northeast Arms cerakoting it now. Googling it, I found several other people have had the same issue. Anyone else see this?

Back
Top Bottom