1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Paint sprayer recommendation

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Spanz, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

So, we are looking at a fairly big house paint spraying job. Outside, all the inside rooms. Was thinking of buying a real paint sprayer, one that does an actual professional job, does not clog if you clean it well every night, and so on. Wife was in sherwin williams and a pro was saying this is the type of sprayer she needs:
    upload_2019-3-5_10-6-21.png
    Kind of a low end commercial sprayer.

But...other than this one project, and yearly touch up on our residence house.....i am not sure 700 bucks are warranted.

Saw a sprayer on sale at harbor freight....for like $170, but the reviews said it sprays like shit, splatters all over the place, and clogs all the time.

So...NES brain trust....is there maybe a $300 sprayer out there that will do my job. School me on this whole "airless" thing...is that really what i want?

I have bought various $100 hand held units in the past, and they were all just a joke....

Bmcl322 likes this.

2. whalerman69

whalerman69 NES Member

Bmcl322 likes this.
  3. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

I have the graco sprayer pictured, not sure if it’s the exact model but will check tonight. It is the balls. I paid less than 600 IIRC.

I painted my entire house. I HATE painting. This made it easier. It came out awesome, and I am not a painter, with the exception of my test area in the back where I taught myself to use it and got a little heavy with the spray (pro tip, keep brush handy for if you accidentally get it too heavy). With staging and planking and everything it took me a whole summer, that was two years ago. My wife wanted different color trim, which does look nice, I am 95% done with the trim! If I were to do again, body and trim all same color. I had zero clogging issues, it is easy to use and clean, just follow directions. Get large area prepped, it goes on quick!! Have plenty of paint handy, made that mistake a few times! Unfortunately they wouldn’t sell me 5 gallon buckets of the colors my wife picked out.

Good luck. I Fing hate painting!!

Bmcl322 likes this.
  4. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

Thanks, let me know the model number.
    I see it as, why should i pay some painter $35,000 to do something i have done lots of times before? But i do not want to take all summer doing it.....so the paint sprayer will pay for itself if it cuts down the time.

Bmcl322 likes this.
  5. grey

grey

I have the small Titan. $250.00 and it does everything you've described. Never had a problem with it. Nozzles are sold at most paint stores if you need an extra. I think it's a Titan 1700

Bmcl322 likes this.
  6. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

Oh the sprayer makes things go fast, as long as you don’t run out of paint. I also replaced a bunch of trim boards, window sills, etc. I can do that shit but not being a carpenter, I can’t do it quickly. And I have a unique house with lots of tough spots to get to, requiring tall ladders, ladder jacks, staging, etc. then there is the prep work, power wash whole house (live on dirt road, dusty in the dry season) and masking off all the windows and areas that shouldn’t get paint on them, and then running out of paint, having masking blow off into the woods, mask it again, etc. if it weren’t for all that bs, and if you did it every day, spraying goes fast!!

W.E.C and Bmcl322 like this.
  7. snax

snax NES Member

I also have this graco.
    Works awesome.
    You have to mask well.
    Get the googles with the peel and stick lenses.
    Wear a respirator.
    Practice in a closet or an inconspicuous space.

xjma99 and Bmcl322 like this.
  8. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

THAT is a great idea!

Bmcl322 likes this.
  9. Bmcl322

Bmcl322 NES Member

I have a Graco Magnum. It is awesome!! Worth the money, as it saves huge amounts of time. Make sure you have the correct pressure when you use it (there is a knob). I would also recommend buying an extra tip and extension arm. I also have an extended hose.

Each day when you are done - clean, clean, clean her. Best of luck with your project!!

& just to prove to all that I know what I'm talking about.....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR3fB9HKf5Y

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    xjma99 likes this.
  10. snax

snax NES Member

110% agree with the cleaning.
    I also have extra tips and the extension.

I think they tell you in the instructions, but....
    Buy your paint in a 5 gal bucket if you can.
    If you buy gallons, buy a five gallon bucket and mix them. Make sure to buy and use a strainer to pour thru.
    Lot of stuff to consider, but for a large area, worth it.

Bmcl322 likes this.
  11. BlacknRed

BlacknRed NES Member

Bought a little brother last summer and stained the whole house. Worked like a champ. Cleaning is key and the extension rod for longer reach. I would also recommend a longer hose as mentioned above. We did the gallons into the 5 gallon bucket and it worked great. Also don't forget the Graco pump armor in the quart bottle. They ship with a small amount, but you'll need more.

Graco Magnum 262800 X5 Stand Airless Paint Sprayer

Bmcl322 likes this.
  12. Tundra02

Tundra02

Go on You Tube and watch some videos and then practice . There is allot more to getting a good paint job with a spray rig than just spraying away . And yes a play a professional painter on day time TV

Bmcl322 likes this.
  13. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

My buddy was a pro painter and used Titan equipment. When he worked for me he did all the painting inside. We went to Met Tower in Manhattan where he was painting the inside of one of the bosses places and I was moving stuff out of the way. Ended up buying a Titan roller pole and that makes interior wall and ceiling painting very fast. I till have the pole and should sell it.

I hate painting and will not do it. It was my agreement with him when I was hired over 29 years ago.

Bmcl322 likes this.
  14. dhuze

dhuze NES Member

An island surrounded by land on three sides
    You can go to Home Depot or Lowes or Sherwin Williams and buy the cheapest airless sprayer they have and it will do everything you need. If you do not do any painting for a living you don't even need one as big as what you show in your post.
    Don't buy anything cheap (like everything Harbor Freight sells). Some places will rent you a paint sprayer, but most will not because they never get cleaned properly and end up frozen from dried paint. I used to rent them until I couldn't find anyone who had one that worked anymore.
    I paint a lot since I'm in the construction business and I lend my sprayer to maybe 3 people. They are all painters who I know will clean it properly or replace it if they dont.

Mask off anything you don't want painted. When I do the outside of a house I take plastic and slats and nail it around all the windows and doors and then spray everything. Take off the slats and paint the trim with a brush. Inside I only roll walls and ceilings because there is way too much to tape off. I can cut it in and roll faster than I can mask it off.

Bmcl322 likes this.
  15. W.E.C

W.E.C NES Member

#metoo ,but every time I go into a new endeavor,by the time I’m finished the first one, I know what I’m doing*

* then I put the stuff away and forget how to use it.

xjma99 and Bmcl322 like this.
  16. radioman

radioman NES Member

Bmcl322 likes this.
  17. Fritz the Cat

Fritz the Cat NES Member

15518342082652120678165.jpg I had the Titan version of the sprayer you posted and it ran for a good 10 years of frequent use. When I lost that in a nasty partner breakup I decided to try a smaller, more portable unit.
    This Graco has painted or stained at least 20 jobs for me over the last 3 years, some exterior and some interiors, latex and oil. Maintenance is the key to a long life.
    A few tips to consider:
    1) you don't need to clean it every day. If you are going to be working with it for several days in a row then just keep the paint bucket full and well covered with plastic or a lid with a notch cut into it and keep the gun submerged in water (if a latex product)
    2) brush in or roll in all your work as you go. It will look much more consistent.
    3) use a painting shield along with masking and plastic. A shield is a real time saver
    4)use all the recommended PPE including coveralls, glasses, respirator and gloves
    5)thoroughly clean the unit when the project is complete and use the oil for storage (i use paint thinner when storing)
    6)and remember, A job worth doing is a job worth doing well!

18. dhuze

dhuze NES Member

An island surrounded by land on three sides
    You don’t need a wand and all you need when you store your sprayer is to clean it properly, then add some Graco pump armor fluid from Home Depot for $9. Or similar.

Fritz the Cat likes this.
  19. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

Based on my ameteur skill level with using a sprayer, I don’t think I would recommend an extension....atleast I don’t think it would have been to my benefit for what I used mine for. Not being a professional painter, I am sure YMMV. I did best keeping a consistent distance and angle from my work. Variation in either can cause poor coverage or over-coverage/runs. There were some spots that were reaches. A longer wand would have given more overspray where I don’t want it in my particular situation.

20. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

29D61480-27E5-413B-ADCB-CBACE09F2A8C.jpeg
    Your pic looks identical, this one is a few years old, not sure what the difference between ‘X’ vs ‘LTS’ is, mine came with a cold weather storage solution, pump armor, it’s still out in the garage while the sprayer is in the heated basement. I clean the shit out of the hoses until water runs clear. Ease into the trigger when cleaning/ spraying mixed water/paint into a bucket, you get backsplash if you just treat the trigger as an on/off switch, which was my preferred technique while painting (on/off abruptly).

Fritz the Cat likes this.