Paint for Polymer Parts

What do you mean by durable? Are you talking chemical or abrasion resistance? For plastic (airsoft) parts I've used a 2 part epoxy based paint with a flatterer in it. Specificaly AwlGrip which is used in the marine industry and has its roots in the aircraft industry as resisting get fuel which is the harshest chemical out there. Ask around if any of your friends know or work in a marina and paint. It's fairly expensive but its worth it.

Last edited:
Something like what Gunkote would be for metal. I know nothing is perfect. Plastics/polymers have different adhesion properties than metal so I'm not sure what will work best. Will Krylon Fusion paint work on polymers? Also what type of pre - post type heat can be used to enhance the durability?

I'm not sure if it was a typo, I'm just correcting your spelling in case someone else looks it up. Its Awlgrip, and its great stuff.

I've used Krylon plastic paint and it worked great on some lawn furniture.

Part of the durability comes from how hard the substrate is that you spray it on. The a given paint on steel will appear to be much more durable than the same paint on pine.

Last edited:
Normal Cerakote will work on polymer. You just have to bake it at a lower temp for a longer duration.

True... Basically the person doing it needs to RTFM, since it's in the information on the product... I should just have put when it's done right, no different formula for firearms (IF I recall correctly)...

BTW, I have heard that some people use Rit Dye to color polymer parts. Never done it, or seen the results.

For DIY no bake paint, Brownells Aluma-Hyde II can't be beat. It's epoxy paint and unlike Rustoleum or Krylon gun cleaner solvents won't remove it.

Back
Top Bottom