Pages not refreshing

Reptile

NES Member
Might be me. I restarted my mac and browser. If I got to a page and leave... lets say more people reply. When I return to the page it has all the old info. I then have to reload the page to see the newer posts. Today this caused me to double post because I did not see my first post.

Anyone else having this problem?

Yep, it's me too. Both on PC and on phone, so it's not my browser. I logged in here to post this but I see others already see it.

Started happening to me last night while using my tablet, and still happening this morning on my laptop. Cleared cache, rebooted, still happening. With it happening on two different computers (even through different ISPs), I don't think the problem is on my side.

FYI links to New Posts, Watched Threads, and the individual threads are not showing current info. Sometimes reloading the page helps.

On my Mac running Chrome I have to clear the cache with every refresh. No issues on my iPhone running Chrome,

Yep, seeing this periodically on the Mac and phone. Not seeing it on Chrome. Google likes NES?

Cleared browser history, all good
Was having the issue on my phone until I cleared the browser cache (Chrome) and its all good now. No issue on my tablet as of this morning. I'll check my laptop after dinner tonight. Worst case, I'll clean up the cache there too and see if that fixes it.

Was there a recent upgrade of any layers of the forum software?

Yesterday I posted a reply to a thread,
and contrary to all prior experience,
the thread wasn't updating on my desktop's Firefox.

Until I hit <Shift>-[Reload].
In which case my reply and all subsequent ones appeared.

You people "clearing cache" are smack out of your minds.

When your tire looks a little low,
do you remove the wheel from the axle before reinflating it?

Just hold down the frigging shift key before you type <Ctrl>-R or click on [Reload].

Well, except for phone users.
I have no idea what gesture (if any) works with a smartphone GUI.
Ah, a Stackexchange user says temporarily requesting
the desktop version of a page's content will force a reload.
You can even return to mobile browsing.
Until the next time you need a force-reload, that is.

Still no refresh. I have to refresh every forum topic list, and thread, to see the latest. Refreshing the thread is especially annoying since I then have to scroll back through it to figure out where I left off, and this takes a while.

I wonder if the problem isn't seen as frequently as it deserves to,
because of the forum's heavy use of URL redirection.

For instance, @Prepper's post immediately above this one
has the permalink:
.../xen/posts/6239178/

However, when you click on it,
it re-expands as:
.../xen/threads/pages-not-refreshing.368457/#post-6239178

Even if .../xen/threads/pages-not-refreshing.368457 is in the browser's cache,
probably .../xen/posts/6239178/ isn't.

I wonder if that forces a reload of the 30-post page?

Not gonna experiment -
I gotta head to the dentist's.

Back
Top Bottom