• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pages not refreshing

If you try to post a new thread, it grabs a word out of the title, and populates the post with other posts that have that word in the title.

Could you give me an example, and the exact path you're using to get to the thread?

The Trump thread and the funny pic thread. I open the main page on my browser(chrome), click forums, then off-topic, then the thread title and it dumps me at the same posts every time. What's strange is in the General Discussion section the New Zealand shooter thread was doing the same but not anymore.

I just noticed on the forums page the preview titles for what has the most recent post weren't updating until I hit refresh.

Todays update.
Site now asks me to login every time.
Everything loads with current views with 2 exceptions. The URL for New Posats changes every time I click it.
The two exceptions are the Funny Pictures thread and, odd;y, this thread. Which both open to the same days old post every time.

The Trump thread and the funny pic thread. I open the main page on my browser(chrome), click forums, then off-topic, then the thread title and it dumps me at the same posts every time.
For each of those threads,
Q: Are you "Watching" them?
(Does their forums' thread directory display the pair of eyeglasses from this palette?
xenforo-ui-sprite.png
?)
"Watching" determines whether or not a thread title in a forum directory
links to <yadda³> vs. <yadda³/unread>.

Hell, from what I see in my browser (Firefox/Windows),
I would never expect clicking on the title of an unwatched thread
to send me anywhere but to the OP.

Everything loads with current views
Q: Did you change your browser's cookie policies
since the last time you did a monthly (30-day) login?

For each of those threads,
Q: Are you "Watching" them?
(Does their forums' thread directory display the pair of eyeglasses from this palette?
xenforo-ui-sprite.png
?)
"Watching" determines whether or not a thread title in a forum directory
links to <yadda³> vs. <yadda³/unread>.

The evidence, that going back to an unwatched thread does not take you back to the OP, would tend to counter this claim. The fact that it changed for a number of people at the same time, tends to indicate that the symptom, what the users see, was caused by a central, or root, problem ultimately unrelated to the individuals.

Hell, from what I see in my browser (Firefox/Windows),
I would never expect clicking on the title of an unwatched thread
to send me anywhere but to the OP.
The first time you go to a thread this is true, after that it has always returned to the last read. This is the case for virtually all users. And this tends to indicate that your experience as stated above is the anomaly.

I won't say that this wouldn't clear the symptom. But the facts surrounding the onset of the issues and the clearing up of nearly all the problems, tends to indicate a root cause beyond the individual browser. For this to have been caused by the browser you are asserting that a large number of people who don't even know each other, using multiple browsers, on multiple devices, on multiple OSs, across multiple carriers, are all suffering the exact same problem.

This reminds me of when supposedly skilled engineers "fix" the problem by rebooting the server, router, firewall, etc. No, you did not fix the problem, you cleared the symptom, the root cause is still there. Until you can cause and cure the issue like flicking a switch you haven't even identified the problem.

Randomly making changes without even a clear cause and effect is nothing more than shooting in the dark and hoping to hit something.

BTW at this point, only the funny picture thread is not returning to my last read. This is true for both watched threads and unwatched threads. I do watch the funny picture thread. And of course I'm prompted to log in each time but that really isn't a big deal to me.

The evidence, that going back to an unwatched thread does not take you back to the OP, would tend to counter this claim. The fact that it changed for a number of people at the same time, tends to indicate that the symptom, what the users see, was caused by a central, or root, problem ultimately unrelated to the individuals. ... The first time you go to a thread this is true, after that it has always returned to the last read. This is the case for virtually all users. And this tends to indicate that your experience as stated above is the anomaly.
It's not much of a proof either way, because virtually every thread I read, I watch.
So ironically, I didn't have a ready source of thread titles in the forum thread directories
that were both unwatched, but which I had previously read. Back through the mists of time
there was probably such a thread, but not one on the first pages...

I won't say that this wouldn't clear the symptom. But the facts surrounding the onset of the issues and the clearing up of nearly all the problems, tends to indicate a root cause beyond the individual browser. For this to have been caused by the browser you are asserting that a large number of people who don't even know each other, using multiple browsers, on multiple devices, on multiple OSs, across multiple carriers, are all suffering the exact same problem. ... And of course I'm prompted to log in each time but that really isn't a big deal to me.
Now here I disagree with your analysis.

Aren't you the only person reporting that
they now have to log in for every session,
when 30 day logins used to work just fine for them?

I thought that everyone else just bitched/inquired
about why they had to log in once and only once,
less than 30 days after their last forced login.

If the 30-day session login is implemented with browser cookies,
and you and you alone had monkeyed with your browser's cookie
settings (say, disabling all cookie saving - not just 3rd party cookies),
then perhaps the session login can no longer get memorialized in your browser.

Your having to log in every time would be because you were
pretty much asking for that.

You might have monkeyed with your browser's cookie settings
through sheer coincidence - completely independently of the forum problems;
or consequent to frustration with them.

But that doesn't necessarily mean that your now having to log in every time
is caused by bugs in NES.

Forum works fine for me on my PC, but is completely frozen in time from 2 weeks ago whenever I try to look on my phone. All the threads are exactly as they were from then, and it still shows replies to them as "just a moment ago" even though they are weeks old. I tried clearing my cache and cookies but it did not work. Really wierd, never seen anything like it.

It's not much of a proof either way, because virtually every thread I read, I watch.
So ironically, I didn't have a ready source of thread titles in the forum thread directories
that were both unwatched, but which I had previously read. Back through the mists of time
there was probably such a thread, but not one on the first pages...

Now here I disagree with your analysis.

Aren't you the only person reporting that
they now have to log in for every session,
when 30 day logins used to work just fine for them?

I thought that everyone else just bitched/inquired
about why they had to log in once and only once,
less than 30 days after their last forced login.

If the 30-day session login is implemented with browser cookies,
and you and you alone had monkeyed with your browser's cookie
settings (say, disabling all cookie saving - not just 3rd party cookies),

Your having to log in every time would be because you were
pretty much asking for that.

You might have monkeyed with your browser's cookie settings
through sheer coincidence - completely independently of the forum problems;
or consequent to frustration with them.

But that doesn't necessarily mean that your now having to log in every time
is caused by bugs in NES.
Love the way you create things to fit the symptoms "and you and you alone had monkeyed with your browser's cookie
settings (say, disabling all cookie saving - not just 3rd party cookies),then perhaps the session login can no longer get memorialized in your browser.?
" as opposed to dealing with facts.

Throughout this whole thing I've used 3 different platforms with different OSs and 2 different browsers (Firefox and Chrome), and I've changed nothing. Yet there has been dramatic changes and this problem goes way beyond just me.

I have no doubt that some of the individual changes have cleared some of the symptoms, but that hardly constitutes a root cause.

I wish I could add something valuable to this discussion, but not tech savvy. Still experiencing issues. What’s going on? Seems related to the NZ shooting thread, imo.

Love the way you create things to fit the symptoms "If ... you and you alone had monkeyed with your browser's cookie
settings (say, disabling all cookie saving - not just 3rd party cookies),then perhaps the session login can no longer get memorialized in your browser.?
" as opposed to dealing with facts.
What part of "If" don't you understand?

Todays update.
After some minor poking around,
I conclude that northeastshooters.com's xf_nes_user cookie
determines how long the site trusts a browser.
When it expires, the user has to log in again.

Now let's simplify my past comment using the above discovery:
If Since the 30-day session login is implemented with browser cookies,
and if you and you alone had monkeyed with your browser's cookie settings
(say, disabling all cookie saving - not just 3rd party cookies),
Moving forwards,
consider one of your browsers that demands a new login every time.

Q1: Does it have a northeastshooters.com cookie named "xf_nes_user"?
Q2: If so, when does it expire?​

Mind you, none of the above is aimed at getting pages to refresh.
It's merely to see if we can get your login to last for 30 days.

Ibtl, so my phone works absolutely fine. My home PC is locked at the same "new post" in the funny pic and trump thread from about 2 weeks ago. All other threads on my PC update as usual. Those 2 threads work fine on my phone though so that's extra confusing.

Ok scratch that, I just went to the New Zealand thread in general discussion and it brought me back to the same picture post from a couple weeks ago, same day I'm trapped on the other threads, all 3 posts have media posted not sure if that has something to do with it. And that was with my phone, so threads messed up on my PC are fine on my phone, but there are threads on my PC that are fine but messed up on my phone.

Last edited:
I have been having the same issues. Seems to be confined to general discussion and off topic for me. Problems are confined to my phone.

Was there some sort of software upgrade or reconfiguration recently that caused this? I'd bet that 99% of the times, updates happen and nobody notices a thing. If it is a site-wide thing, I'm sure the people who need to be looking at this are looking at it.

I'm down to just a couple threads stuck at old posts, not going to the last read.
The problem crosses platforms and browsers, so there has to be a server side component to the original cause. BUT there also has to be a client side part to this as well, not the root cause, but a change that perpetuates the symptom beyond the root cause. I say this because a Chrome Incognito session does not have this problem.

Now, sure, I could do the scorched earth approach and wipe out all the history and cache on several devices and it probably will clear up the problem. But that doesn't tell me what happened, and I prefer a scalpel to a bulldozer.

So my question is, and this is definitely a developer type of question, where exactly is this information stored on the client? It must be stored on both the client and the server since the symptoms show a client relationship, but a clean browser still goes to the last read.

Now for some speculation;
I'm thinking something that is originally pushed down by the server and then refreshed based on a date/time flag has been mis flagged with a later date/time thus preventing it's refresh. I come to this conclusion because a clean browser does not have the problem, no existing flag so the info is provided fresh. And where the problem occurs, threads will show post dates of known older posts as being in the future.

Fixing this surgically, both clears the symptom and can lead to a permanent solution. Just clearing everything on one side without finding the root cause virtually guarantees the symptom will return, since the cause has not been addressed.

So if there are any developer types out there that have this level of knowledge, please help.

Is this still happening to anyone? If so, can you post the link to the thread/post you're being brought to?

Is this still happening to anyone? If so, can you post the link to the thread/post you're being brought to?
I had a couple last night but didn't note which threads, I'll make a note of them over the next couple days and post back.

Back
Top Bottom