• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Paddle vs Belt loop holster (vs IWB)

What are the pros/cons?

I want something that rides high for better concealment of a full size Sig226. Would be great if it was also good for IDPA if I get into that.

I'm a full size kind of guy, if you get my drift, and I don't think IWB would be too comfortable for me...

Thanks,
Matt

matt said:
What are the pros/cons?

I want something that rides high for better concealment of a full size Sig226. Would be great if it was also good for IDPA if I get into that.

I'm a full size kind of guy, if you get my drift, and I don't think IWB would be too comfortable for me...

Thanks,
Matt

I'm also a very large person, and I didn't much like the IWB holster I tried for a while.

The only advantage to a paddle that I'm aware of is that it makes it easy to take the holster off and put it back on. This is considered desirable by people who have such a need - cops who go in and out of jails a lot, or detectives who spend a lot of time working at a desk and who want to remove their rig for comfort while sitting there, and then slip it back on when they go back out on the street.

The disadvantage is that it's not NEARLY as secure in a weapons retention struggle, or if there is a possibility that you will be down on the ground wrestling with someone.

I stick to secure belt holsters myself.

As food for thought, I'm crossposting something from another list I get. It's moderated by a very well known trainer, who has won the National Tactical Invitationals twice. It's about Kydex holsters particularly, but some of his points could apply to ANY holster and are worth thinking about when you are trying to pick one.

"It's up to each person to weigh the cost/benefit on their own personal scale.

On my scale...

Kydex Benefit
1. Doesn't hold moisture. (this is nice if you live/work in humid/wet environments.)
2. Stands up well to adverse conditions (my Kramer horsehide holsters have lasted many years of everyday use, often in very adverse i.e.. wet environments.)
3. Faster draw. (Measurable but not tactically significant in my opinion.)

Kydex Cost
1. Lack of resistance to weapons disarm. (I could convince myself that the chance of a purposeful holstered-weapon-disarm attempt is relatively low.)
2. Lack of retention when falling or exposed to jarring motions. (This causes me concern. I have witnessed this too many times when the individual is taken to the ground in confrontational simulations.)
3. Many models are difficult to draw from (weapon doesn't want to release) if in a compromised body position and can not access the weapon in a straight line relative to the holster. The first time I was exposed to this was hearing Kydex holster users talk about the need for a "Car" or "Driving" Holster. I didn't understand since my gun always came out of my leather holster the same whether seated or standing. I gained an understanding of the problem the first time I tried to draw from a (good quality) Kydex holster while seated in a car. The gun would not release until I pulled the holster around on my belt so that I could draw straight up. (This causes me significant concern.)

I have demonstrated Cost #3 to many students during confrontational simulations when they were unable to get their weapon to release from a Kydex holster while
a. Crunched into a corner or furniture with an assailant on top bludgeoning or stabbing them.
b. Bent backwards over the hood of their car while being choked unconscious/beaten.
The vast majority of defensive handgunners (and trainers) never experience this because they don't train to defend against realistic attacks. How many muggings do you think think take place at 10, 7, or even 3 yds? How many murders? The fact is that you need to be able to access your weapon from whatever compromised position you may find yourself in when some scumbag is doing his level best to end your life.
The two criteria required of a holster in this occasion are:
1. Keep the weapon secure and in the position that you expect it to be in.
2. Release the weapon instantly and reliably in the draw stroke.

In my experience nothing fulfills these requirements better (for concealed carry) than a top quality leather (preferably horsehide) IWB holster.

YMMV (and that's what makes this country great!)
"

It's interesting to see how much some very good trainers disagree on some of these points.

John Farnam, as a counterpoint, likes good Kydex holsters and often carries his own personal gun in one.

A couple of years ago, I was able to do both one of John's courses, and one with Louis Awerbuck.

John LOVES OC Spray and recomends it to all of his students. Awerbuck thinks it is worthless, and sees no point in carrying it.

Go Figure!

Anyway, I hope this gave you something to think about.

Regards
John

Paddle holsters also tend to stick out from the body a bit more than a belt holster, and are thus a bit harder to conceal.

There are two advantages of a paddle holster. 1) you can take it on and off without undoing your belt buckle (not a very important advantage). 2) positioning is more flexible because you don't have to fit it around the belt loops on your pants. To me this is a more important advantage. I've got holsters that work on this pair of pants but not that...

Actually, my experience is different from both of the above. Compared to a well-made pancake type belt-loop holster, a well-made paddle holster sticks as close to or even closer to the body (since it levers off the paddle rather than just the belt loops and their backing) and it can be more comfortable to wear (since the weight of the gun and its tendency to flop away from the body is resisted by a larger surface than just the belt).

I think it all depends on the quality and design of the belt-loop holster and also the type of belt you're wearing. The wider and stiffer the belt, the better job it does in stabilizing and distributing the weight and moment of the pancake, thus narrowing the difference between the two. But with a narrow dress belt, or one of those summer knitted types, the pancake is out the window and the paddle is a must.

Perhaps the proof of the pudding is wearing a holster with no belt and loose pants or even a bathing suit. To be sure, you have to really snug up the bathing suit's string or you're in for an embarrasment when the weight of the gun pulls them down, but you can do that and be comfortable with a well made paddle.

I recommend the AccuMold paddle.

RKG said:
Perhaps the proof of the pudding is wearing a holster with no belt and loose pants or even a bathing suit. To be sure, you have to really snug up the bathing suit's string or you're in for an embarrasment when the weight of the gun pulls them down, but you can do that and be comfortable with a well made paddle.

I recommend the AccuMold paddle.

Do you swim with your gun often? [laugh2]

I do get your point and agree, but when I'm wearing a bathing suit I'm heading in the water and won't be carrying a gun.

LenS said:
Do you swim with your gun often? [laugh2]

I do get your point and agree, but when I'm wearing a bathing suit I'm heading in the water and won't be carrying a gun.

But what about the sharks, and the 1100 hog swimming in the cow pond?

Arrrrr

-Weer'd Beard

LenS said:
Weer'd,

I have it on good authority that Ted Kennedy never swims with Hitlery Clinton!

I'm gonna need to get a seatbelt in this office-chair if remarks of that calibur keep coming!

Good thing my floor is carpeted...much softer to Roll on!

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

Back
Top Bottom