• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Packet Issues..

So, I've installed my TNC as well as Outpost and Airmail. I'm able to connect to our club's mail server, but I'm not able to connect to the BBS.

Both are on the same frequency and while I do see the TNC and the radio sending when trying to get onto the BBS, I get a message back saying, "BBS timeout, BBS Busy, or BBS is not on this frequency."

I've tested with another person from my club and they don't have a problem connecting. Actually, when I'm trying to connect, he sees my transmission on his TNC and Radio...so...I know that it's going out. And, because I can hear him connecting and he can hear me trying to make a connection, we know that we're both on the same frequency.

Any ideas?

Also, is there another BBS software other than Outpost that's good that I could try? I tried to connect using Pacterm as well, but I'm getting the same results. That's why I'm thinking that it's something simple that I'm missing.

Listen to your own transmissions on another receiver. Many times this issue is because you are over driving the audio input to the transmitter and distorting it. Like yelling into the mic. The audio should be crisp with no static/hiss in-between tones.

Even if your audio sounds good, try turning down the audio out of the TNC 1/4 turn and test. It may solve your problem.

Back
Top Bottom