• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PA Teachers to get mini bats to combat active shooters.

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
ERIE, Pa. (AP) – A Pennsylvania school district has given its teachers small wooden baseball bats as a reminder to fight a school shooter with any weapon available should other options fail.

Pa. Teachers Get Bats As A Reminder To Fight Back In A Shooting

poster_04e2eb6cb9b5417d90723a50a7607bb5_83494435_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

What could go wrong?

I think that this is maybe a great tool for waking teachers up - those that have been saying 'we don't want to be armed; weapons have no place in schools' - the bat is a great symbol IMO - one that tells the teachers that help may not come as fast as you want, and you will need to protect yourselves so here is a mini-bat that you can use.

Hopefully that would come across as ludicrous and maybe get some thinking that they should push for better means in defending themselves.

My thoughts at least...

I think that this is maybe a great tool for waking teachers up - those that have been saying 'we don't want to be armed; weapons have no place in schools' - the bat is a great symbol IMO - one that tells the teachers that help may not come as fast as you want, and you will need to protect yourselves so here is a mini-bat that you can use.

Hopefully that would come across as ludicrous and maybe get some thinking that they should push for better means in defending themselves.

My thoughts at least...
That is a very legitimate angle.

I know this is in PA, but aren't those things illegal in Massachusetts?

Also, is this supposed to work in complement with the bucket of rocks?

My wife teaches 2nd grade. They still do the "cower in place" drills every quarter. Stack the kids all on one corner and shut the door. Stupid.

I've discussed this with my wife. I told her the first thing I learned as a young infantryman was that when you take fire.....small arms or indirect......SPREAD OUT. It forces the enemy to move and aim and less likely to hit more of your squad. Kids should be spread out on the walls throughout the room not piled into one corner for the enemy to just stack rounds into a pile of kids. They should also all grab a couple of books before they spread out against the wall.......tell em "anyone opens that door that's not wearing a badge you start throwing books at em". KIDS AND TEACHERS NEED TO BE TRAINED TO DO SOMETHING! If the shooter is met with 20 to 30 flying text books it should do something to put him off guard and may even get him to decide to move on.

that's my angle anyway.

My wife teaches 2nd grade. They still do the "cower in place" drills every quarter. Stack the kids all on one corner and shut the door. Stupid.

I've discussed this with my wife. I told her the first thing I learned as a young infantryman was that when you take fire.....small arms or indirect......SPREAD OUT. It forces the enemy to move and aim and less likely to hit more of your squad. Kids should be spread out on the walls throughout the room not piled into one corner for the enemy to just stack rounds into a pile of kids. They should also all grab a couple of books before they spread out against the wall.......tell em "anyone opens that door that's not wearing a badge you start throwing books at em". KIDS AND TEACHERS NEED TO BE TRAINED TO DO SOMETHING!

that's my angle anyway.

Or at least teach them that loading up 3-4 large books in your backpack can create a fairly effective bullet stop.

Who’s the genius that thought this was a good idea? Who held one in their hand and said “this will do”? Who actually handed them out with a straight face and instructions? Oh right, one of our brilliant, fearless public servants. These morons are educating our kids.

Maybe they should have spent that $1800 putting locks on all the classroom doors. If this were actually about safety and not just about gun control there are plenty of things that could be done to ensure the safety of the kids.

If they aren’t going to arm teachers then they should at least ensure there are locks on the doors, each classroom have a big canister of bear spray and every adult issued, and trained, on a tazer. But no, they opt for either nothing, a bucket of rocks, or a locked up novelty bat. Has anyone even taught the kids of the effectiveness of a fire extinguisher?

I hope they didn't buy those, cause they just could of had the wood shop crank out a couple hundred like I did in high school.

Jason.

I've discussed this with my wife. I told her the first thing I learned as a young infantryman was that when you take fire.....small arms or indirect......SPREAD OUT. It forces the enemy to move and aim and less likely to hit more of your squad. Kids should be spread out on the walls throughout the room not piled into one corner for the enemy to just stack rounds into a pile of kids. They should also all grab a couple of books before they spread out against the wall.......tell em "anyone opens that door that's not wearing a badge you start throwing books at em". KIDS AND TEACHERS NEED TO BE TRAINED TO DO SOMETHING! If the shooter is met with 20 to 30 flying text books it should do something to put him off guard and may even get him to decide to move on.

that's my angle anyway.

I never understood cower in place. If the building is on fire, you leave the building. If there is a bomb, you leave the building. if there is a chemical leak/spill, you leave the building. If there is an armed killer hunting you down, STAY PUT!!! WTELF? o_O
At my work they said the best (non self defense) option is to run out of the building and don't stop until you get to the next town.

I also don't understand why they suggest things like buckets of rocks, soup cans, or mini-bats. Are they hoping someone will try to use these, fail, and get more people killed? [tinfoil]

Back
Top Bottom