PA No Longer Recognizes NH Non-Resident License

Just got off the phone with the PA Attorney General Office. I can no longer carry in PA with my non-resident NH license which I have been doing for the last five years. Good thing I checked before I went down there again in September. I am totally pissed! Here it is on the PA AG website. New reciprocity agreement was signed in April of 2018. One doesn't know whether we are coming or going.

Concealed Carry Reciprocity

Just got off the phone with the PA Attorney General Office. I can no longer carry in PA with my non-resident NH license which I have been doing for the last five years. Good thing I checked before I went down there again in September. I am totally pissed! Here it is on the PA AG website. New reciprocity agreement was signed in April of 2018. One doesn't know whether we are coming or going.

Concealed Carry Reciprocity

LOL they have only flip flopped on this like 5 times now, I've never considered the nonres NH license to have reciprocity with PA as a result, it's better to just forget about it and get the license there.

-Mike

Soooo leave Mass already........

This isn't a "mass" thing at all, it's a PA reciprocity thing that has been flakey for going back at least a decade.

People get frustrated when they don't understand that nonresident carry licenses are rarely or in some cases almost never equivalent to the ones
resident in state (X or Y ) get. This isn't a new thing, and not unique to PA and several other states that do similar BS.

-Mike

I saw this coming with NH no longer requiring a permit from your home state to obtain a Non-resident P&R License.

It has absolutely nothing to do with that and everything to do with the fact that the PA AG's office has been notoriously flakey. This has been a soap opera that's been going on before permitless carry was even a twinkle in someones eye in NH.

-Mike

Well....it is in the sense that the OP is depending on a non resident permit from NH.......

Its not NH's problem that the OP is living in the peoples republic

Same problem could happen to anyone else though using an NH nonres as a reciprocity tool though.

PA could just as easily flake and decide not to take NH res licenses tomorrow, too.

-Mike

To make matters worse, you used to be able to get a PA CCW through the mail. Now you have to show up in person. Fortunately, it appears to be easy and quick. There's a thread on it somewhere here and it seems like if you don't walk out with your card in your wallet in 45 minutes they apologize for it taking so long. OTOH, some counties do and some don't issue out of state CCWs. On my next trip to visit Mom in Lancaster I'm stopping in to get one.

ETA: found the thread on PA out of state licenses.
Pennsylvania NR license

Depends on the county in PA.

Many will issue, if you have a home state permit, some will not. Do a little digging.

Westmoreland county will issue, you just need a letter explaining why you want it. It gets mailed to your home.

$20 and 20 minutes. Be prepared, have a photocopy of your DL or State ID, and home state LTC, front and back, and you are good.

http://handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf

Beginning April 16, 2018 PA Will Only Honor Resident Permits From the States They Honor.
Must be 21 Years of Age to Carry in Pennsylvania.
Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas Colorado Florida Georgia Idaho
Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Michigan Mississippi
Missouri Montana New Hampshire North Carolina North Dakota
Ohio Oklahoma South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah West Virginia
Wisconsin Wyoming

Note:
You have to have a permit from your home state if your home state
issue permits. Unless you are from Vermont which doesn’t issue permits.
If your state is too restrictive and won’t issue you a permit you
can’t obtain a Non-Resident Pennsylvania Permit/License.
Some Sheriff’s will not issue to non residents

Again.....its Pa's perogative to do so......not a NH problem

It is but reciprocity is a mutual agreement. Which implies some sort of cooperation. Most states are stable in these agreements. This is just jerkretard behavior by the PA AG's office. It doesn't make any sense either because its not like the qualifications
change from one to the other.

Furthermore its easily resolved by getting a Pa non resident permit

I agree and that's literally what I've been telling people to do for years. If you call ahead to a sheriff's office that does licenses,
and go down to PA on a weekday with the paperwork and fee you can literally walk into a sheriff's office and walk out with a license inside of an
hour, from what more than one person has told me. I will be doing the same process likely this August.

-Mike

To make matters worse, you used to be able to get a PA CCW through the mail. Now you have to show up in person. Fortunately, it appears to be easy and quick. There's a thread on it somewhere here and it seems like if you don't walk out with your card in your wallet in 45 minutes they apologize for it taking so long. OTOH, some counties do and some don't issue out of state CCWs. On my next trip to visit Mom in Lancaster I'm stopping in to get one.

ETA: found the thread on PA out of state licenses.
Pennsylvania NR license

GF and I applied last week when we went to Gettysburg, PA (I recommend this trip to anyone who loves American history!)

Stopped in Scranton at the Lackawanna County Courthouse. Bring $20 cash (I guess their credit card machine is down every now and then), bring a photocopy of your unrestricted LTC and MA driver’s license and fill out application in the office. 20 minutes later, you walk out with a PA license which looks like the old drivers license in MA where they used to take the license and hot laminate it right in the office.

It has absolutely nothing to do with that and everything to do with the fact that the PA AG's office has been notoriously flakey. This has been a soap opera that's been going on before permitless carry was even a twinkle in someones eye in NH.

-Mike

I think it does. PA started screwing with reciprocity with out-of-state permits after PA residents were found carrying on FL permits and no PA LTC. So PA said no more reciprocity with FL for non-residents, UT, and probably other states that will issue without a "home state" carry permit. They still honored NH non-residents for quite a while, I suspect, because an unlicensed PA resident couldn't get one without already having a PA LTC. That is no longer the case, so good-bye to NH non-res P&R reciprocity.

Thanks all. When I go down to PA in September I will get a PA non-resident license. Called the Northumberland County Sheriff's office yesterday. I will be staying less than 20 miles from there. Spoke to the nicest lady ever. She explained that I can just walk into her office Monday thru Friday no appointment necessary, fill out the application, $20.00, and walk out of there with a PA non-resident license in hand that very day. She even e-mailed me the application so I can have it filled out in advance. Although she did mention that some PA county sheriff's office will not issue a license which doesn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense being that I can just go to the next county over and get one. I wish it were that easy in Massachusetts...dream on! I got to get the hell out of here when I retire!!!!

Dammit! I used to carry while driving through PA thinking that I was covered under my NH non-resident and/or Utah non-resident permits! I suppose at the time I was covered.

I guess that is not the case anymore. Kind of makes my NH Non-resident permit (that I just renewed almost useless).

Glad I read this thread before heading out on vacation in a few weeks. Thanks for posting.

I agree and that's literally what I've been telling people to do for years. If you call ahead to a sheriff's office that does licenses,
and go down to PA on a weekday with the paperwork and fee you can literally walk into a sheriff's office and walk out with a license inside of an
hour, from what more than one person has told me. I will be doing the same process likely this August.

Depends on how busy they are, but yeah. I got mine in Jefferson County, which is convenient for anyone who is taking I-80 across the state. The courthouse in Brookville is a very very short detour off of I-80. It took me literally 15 minutes and I walked out with the license in hand, and 10 minutes of that was filling out the paperwork. 5 minutes to get the photograph done and the license number back from Harrisburg. The lady even apologized because it's usually instantaneous.

Last edited:
Depends on how busy they are, but yeah. I got mine in Jefferson County, which is convenient for anyone who is taking I-80 across the state. The courthouse in Summerville is a very very short detour off of I-80. It took me literally 15 minutes and I walked out with the license in hand, and 10 minutes of that was filling out the paperwork. 5 minutes to get the photograph done and the license number back from Harrisburg. The lady even apologized because it's usually instantaneous.
Jefferson County courthouse is in Brookville so no one gets confused..

democrats elected to the governorship and atty general, elections have consequences. What else would you expect?

Back
Top Bottom