• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

PA man interacts with police due to open carrying

Hope this is not a dupe, but I saw this and figured some of you would appreciate checking it out.

[video]http://www.policeone.com/investigations/articles/6042000-Video-Officers-quiz-Pa-man-over-open-carry/[/video]

That's the thing with these videos, a cop who doesn't understand gun laws is always a bad thing, and personally I wouldn't like if I'm doing everything legally, to be stopped by an officer whenever I'm walking on the street... however, there are idiots that like making these videos who stand out there, like a peacock spreading it's wings, just looking for a cop to stop them to make them look like an idiot or something... and those are the people that are eventually going to get more strict laws enacted to prevent these confrontations. I'm not sure if this guy was one of those fishing for a fight... he did mention that he was stopped by that other cop a couple of days ago (plus how many people have a chest video recorder ready to go at a moments notice?). Either way I hope this cop is at least sent back to training and hopefully this is avoided in the future.

Eh it is what it is. I feel the cop was just doing his job to certain point. I think the line was crossed when he followed him into the barbershop and made more out of it for no reason. I think that was borderline harassment IMO. And you don't need to carry the statues to prove your in the right it's their job to prove your in the wrong innocent until proven guilty I thought . . . I heard that in history class

The only idiots here are the cops. There was no visable violation of any law being broken, therefore there was no reason for the cops to stop the subject. "The mere presence of a firearm, does not mean a crime is being committed". So if the cops hadn't stopped him there would be no video. Based on the statements and comments by the cops, they did not know the law and were abusing thier position and authority, when they had no legal standing.

Agreed, and sorry if I came off that way but I don't know if this guy was being an idiot or not was just making a point that sometimes there are people that get their license, and suddenly they go out there and look to draw attention to themselves just to bait a confrontation.

It is not smart to show a gun in public. It attracts attention for no reason. Even if its legal (it should be everywhere anyway; its just my opinion) I will always cover the gun.
At one point the cop was right: a criminal may jump a gun and use it simply because he has an opportunity to do so. Some individuals will try to get the guns while you are away from home.
Its nothing to do with a law, its just common sense: if a criminal will attack you, not knowing you have a gun - you have advantage, while on the other hand if he knows you got the gun he will try to sneak on you at the moment you most vulnerable.

It is not smart to show a gun in public. It attracts attention for no reason. Even if its legal (it should be everywhere anyway; its just my opinion) I will always cover the gun.
At one point the cop was right: a criminal may jump a gun and use it simply because he has an opportunity to do so. Some individuals will try to get the guns while you are away from home.
Its nothing to do with a law, its just common sense: if a criminal will attack you, not knowing you have a gun - you have advantage, while on the other hand if he knows you got the gun he will try to sneak on you at the moment you most vulnerable.

following that logic -why do police officers carry their side arms exposed? Wouldn't we all be safer if they were out of sight and out of mind?
why is a gun worse to show than a cell phone or another tool you would carry everyday?

following that logic -why do police officers carry their side arms exposed? Wouldn't we all be safer if they were out of sight and out of mind?
why is a gun worse to show than a cell phone or another tool you would carry everyday?

People do not react to the cell phones the same way as to guns.
Police have uniforms and they are Law ENFORCEMENT - even they have to fight for their guns occasionally.
Its just my opinion and one can agree or not. I just think it is foolish to make those videos and idiots out of Police Officers. It does not help, it makes their lifes more difficult. If you make them look stupid, they wil hate you forever and nothing will change their mind. I think the way to get into PO is through training and education, not confrontation on the street with a camera. What a waste of time and energy.

There are some rights that atrophy if not exercised, and others that can be lost if they are blatantly exercised. Wise strategy is determining which is which - and the same right that may be strengthened via exercise in one state could easily be lost by exercising it in another state.

Just ask the black panthers from the 60's who open carried long guns in CA, or more recently, activists who took advantage of the fact that open carry of an unloaded handgun was (emphasis was) legal in CA.

Police have uniforms and they are Law ENFORCEMENT

And what about the two plain clothes officers at Anna's Tacqueria I was standing next to? His firearm strapped to his hip. The only thing that made me think LEO was his high and tight and his partner having a radio hanging out of his back pocket. No badge, no uniform. For a second I thought this guy had a good pair of cahones for open carrying. Then I realized he was a LEO. I've always been curious about my Sport and Target, No conceal carry, to see if I could open carry. But then again, my pockets aren't deep enough to pay for an attorney.

Loved the part of the video when he compared LTCs and guns to Driver's Licenses and Cars. I was screaming this inside my head and he said it!

That Sheep mentality is the problem.Our rights are just that and deeming it "not smart" and it attracts attention proves the thugs indoctrination is working.

Wait, what?

So, if a criminal breaks into your car or rapes your woman, it is YOUR fault for having valuables or hers for being a woman? How do potential criminal actions justify criminal actions by the police?

People have tons of opinions on this. Although I have never open carried other than when deployed to a combat theatre my opnion on open carry differs from yours in that I feel if you oen carry a fire arm you are less likely to be attacked by a criminal in the first place....criminals go after soft targets do they not? I'm not saying my opinio is the right one.....open to comments here from more experienced folks to persuade me but that's where I' coming from......

A lot has been said. I am just stating my opinion on CCW and what I prefer and why. I am all for open carry, it should be lawful for a citizen to OCW. If one wants it, it should be his/her choice. I think CCW will give me more advantage over open carry. I just do not have to be all time alerted and watch my gun.
Its my opinion and I am not : "have been conditioned in that piss poor excuse for a state" as JWPaolilliJr wrote [smile]

A lot has been said. I am just stating my opinion on CCW and what I prefer and why. I am all for open carry, it should be lawful for a citizen to OCW. If one wants it, it should be his/her choice. I think CCW will give me more advantage over open carry. I just do not have to be all time alerted and watch my gun.
Its my opinion and I am not : "have been conditioned in that piss poor excuse for a state" as JWPaolilliJr wrote [smile]

If this is really what you think, then you should seriously think about leaving your gun at home. No matter how you carry, you ALWAYS watch your gun, period. You are ALWAYS aware of things. Doing otherwise is just stupid.

Personally, I do not OC or CC. I simply carry.

Last edited:
If this is really what you think, then you should seriously think about leaving your gun at home. No matter how you carry, you ALWAYS watch your gun, period. You are ALWAYS aware of things. Doing otherwise is just stupid.

Personally, I do not OC or CC. I simply carry.

Looking for clarification for my own education on this. The fire arm is either open to view or concealed from view in my understanding of how fire arms laws work. Are you saying that open or concealed you treat you fire arm with the same attention? If that's the case I get it.....

Looking for clarification for my own education on this. The fire arm is either open to view or concealed from view in my understanding of how fire arms laws work. Are you saying that open or concealed you treat you fire arm with the same attention? If that's the case I get it.....

When I say I simply carry, I'm saying I do not care if the firearm is able to be seen or not. I put it on and go about my business. Not concerned with the so often worried about printing and other such BS. Yes, there is a difference (law wise) between OC & CC, with different requirements (in most cases) for each. Each of those bases are covered at all times. And yes, I always treat my firearm with the same attention. Just like you always treat it as it is loaded.

Why is the bar set so low? Shouldn't law enforcement know the laws before they enforce them? Is it protocol to ask the subject the law? What will it take to raise the bar and bring everyone up to a reasonable standard, because guessing about the law is not acceptable. I think more of these videos will put pressure on the system. People need to be held accountable for what they are employed to do.

Back
Top Bottom