PA Gen II 3X Prism on Tavor X95???

CatSnoutSoup

NES Member
I bought a new IWI Tavor X95. I got the 18.5 inch barreled model with the factory pinned compensator. This so called "Restricted State" model was not a compromise I actually wanted it.
The longer barrel should give a degree of increase accuracy and the overall length of the X95 is still way shorter than my 14.5 inch barreled AR15 with pinned BCM 0 comp.
(Note: AR optic is Sig R5 co-witnessed)

MAKyveJ.jpg

Now one of the unfortunate facts about buying an $1800 rifle is that it leaves your wallet a little thin when it comes time to put and optical sight on top of said rifle. In short a $1K Trijicon ACOG is not happening.

However I do want to try a fixed magnification prism scope because the size seems reasonable when compared to variable power multi-lens scopes, and most of my shooting is at 50 and 100 yards so a low fixed magnification should work while, hopefully with a wide enough field for close quarters if needed. Also while it has never been a major issue with the other scopes and reflex sight I own I do have astigmatic vision and I have read prism scopes are somewhat forgiven of that condition.

I have sort of talked myself into a Primary Arms Gen II 3x Prism (in FDE).
The modular mount is a plus for the Tavor I think because the point of your cheek-weld on the stock is very much in line with the top of the rail so being able to take that spacer out of the factory mount and sit low may be a plus. But the PA scope will sit on any ACOG mount also.

NEW! Primary Arms Gen II Prism Scopes | Primary Arms Blog

L4Be90p.png

So what do you guys think...

1.) No prism scope? (Burris MTAC 1-4x24)

2.) Different prism scope?

3.) Maybe 5x instead of the 3x, if needed could place my spare Burris FastFire 3 miniature red dot on the PA top rail? (For the record I think this would look "Joe operator" goofy but it would give a quick close quarters option to a 5x fixed scope.)

4.) Does anything bigger than a Mepro M21 or EOTech EXPS look obnoxiously large on a Tavor?

5.) Anyone familiar with Primary Arms think it is not worth waiting till Black Friday to see if a deal can be had on the current price?

Please opine as I am home till after Thanksgiving and bored already.

:emoji_fork_and_knife::emoji_poultry_leg::emoji_tiger::emoji_poultry_leg::emoji_fork_and_knife:

Last edited:
I have a similar setup with my RDB and a Vortex Spitfire 3x and will try to address your questions.

1) I like prism scopes: good, clear reticle, very fine lines. However, being able to go down to 1x magnification would be nice for 3 gun - especially those targets 20yds and closer.

2) Plenty of options - pick a brand you like that's within your budget.

3) 3x is more than enough for 100 yds. I would consider a mini red dot though for reasons mentioned in (1).

4) Dunno about looks but one thing to consider is possible interference between your hand and the optic attachment screws while operating the charging handle. The Tavor might not have that issue, but my RDB did (alleviated by switching the handle to the other side).

5) Can't hurt to wait a week; use your mini red dot if you have to shoot it in the meantime.

FWIW the charging handle on an X95 conflicts with optics far less than the SAR did. Not to say you cant jam a finger if you're careless but far less likely in my opinion.
As for the lower scope mounts, you dont want your optic to low or else you wont be able to use it properly.
20181117_094334.jpg

I have red dot currently set back a little farther than I should as I'm covering up the rear buis. But its cowitnessed with the front sight. If it was any lower my fat face wouldnt be able to get low enough to use it.

I bought a new IWI Tavor X95. I got the 18.5 inch barreled model with the factory pinned compensator. This so called "Restricted State" model was not a compromise I actually wanted it.
The longer barrel should give a degree of increase accuracy and the overall length of the X95 is still way shorter than my 14.5 inch barreled AR15 with pinned BCM 0 comp.
(Note: AR optic is Sig R5 co-witnessed)

MAKyveJ.jpg

Now one of the unfortunate facts about buying an $1800 rifle is that it leaves your wallet a little thin when it comes time to put and optical sight on top of said rifle. In short a $1K Trijicon ACOG is not happening.

However I do want to try a fixed magnification prism scope because the size seems reasonable when compared to variable power multi-lens scopes, and most of my shooting is at 50 and 100 yards so a low fixed magnification should work while, hopefully with a wide enough field for close quarters if needed. Also while it has never been a major issue with the other scopes and reflex sight I own I do have astigmatic vision and I have read prism scopes are somewhat forgiven of that condition.

I have sort of talked myself into a Primary Arms Gen II 3x Prism (in FDE).
The modular mount is a plus for the Tavor I think because the point of your cheek-weld on the stock is very much in line with the top of the rail so being able to take that spacer out of the factory mount and sit low may be a plus. But the PA scope will sit on any ACOG mount also.

NEW! Primary Arms Gen II Prism Scopes | Primary Arms Blog

L4Be90p.png

So what do you guys think...

1.) No prism scope? (Burris MTAC 1-4x24)

2.) Different prism scope?

3.) Maybe 5x instead of the 3x, if needed could place my spare Burris FastFire 3 miniature red dot on the PA top rail? (For the record I think this would look "Joe operator" goofy but it would give a quick close quarters option to a 5x fixed scope.)

4.) Does anything bigger than a Mepro M21 or EOTech EXPS look obnoxiously large on a Tavor?

5.) Anyone familiar with Primary Arms think it is not worth waiting till Black Friday to see if a deal can be had on the current price?

Please opine as I am home till after Thanksgiving and bored already.

:emoji_fork_and_knife::emoji_poultry_leg::emoji_tiger::emoji_poultry_leg::emoji_fork_and_knife:

congrats on the X95. IMO the SAR and X95 are the finest bullpup 5.56 rifles ever built. if you ever want to feel really good about your purchase choice, go read the KTOG forum about the Kel Tec RDB. there are polls going about what issues each owner has had. it's crazy. what a nightmare.

I wouldn't worry about the restricted state model. the barrel is easily swappable with an IWI replacement barrel. with the barrel wrench it takes like 2 minutes to change the barrel. the 18" barrel will get more velocity although I find the 1:7 twist is not optimal for lighter bullets and with 18" barrel this issue is worse. with 69gr IWI ammo it shoots retarded accurate.

1) a 1-4x or red dot are perfect fit for the tavor. one issue is the cheek weld is higher than an AR so you will either need a riser mount or high rings if using a LPVO. i am a fan of the Steiner P4xi and run it on the X95 although went with a midwest industries upper rail replacement to get both m-lok attachments and the slightly higher rail. a red dot in a lower 1/3 cowitness mount will work fine but for a scope you will need to either tinker with rings, get a riser or replace the rail all together as I did.

2) the PA prism is excellent. i have a 2.5x, 3x and 5x all the previous generation but the optical quality is excellent and they are fun to shoot. the eye relief is a little short. it will work fine on the tavor but again may need a riser to get correct cheekweld and will need to be positioned towards the back of your rail to get correct eye relief.

3) go with the 3x over the 5x. the 3x allows accurate shots out to 300 yards and will be a better fit for the tavor. the 5x is also great and I think makes better fit to a .308. the smaller FOV on the 5x will be annoying on a tavor. i would prefer the larger FOV offered by the 3x. the reticle benefits are similar.

with a prism scope you are going to want to learn how to shoot with occluded scope method. this involves both eyes open, front of scope covered and illumination on. this will superimpose the reticle into your binocular view and allow quick shooting within 25 yards. basically you're stealing the illuminated reticle and avoiding the magnification. it gets you a free red dot for inside distances

4) my first tavor was the IDF model with mepro 21. i have since removed that sight as it's not suitable for past 100 yards (reticle way too big). i wouldn't worry about whether an optic is too big for the tavor. they all will look fine. the only one that looks retarded big is the vortex UH-1 but nobodoy wants that anyway

5) given mid Nov I would wait to see what sales PA runs. also for that price range give a serious look at the Steiner P4xi. from sportoptics or botach can be had for under $500 and it's simply incredible. alternatively a holosun with QD lower 1/3 mount would be a nice choice for the X95. then if you want to slap on a 3x magnifier can do so down the road. if considering the magnifier route, holosun makes an ACSS red dot with chevron and BDC dots. wicked cool option but pointless in absence of a magnifier.

Last edited:
I have a 300BLK version of the 3x PA prism on my 300BLK and it is a very good value for the money, I am very happy with it. I like the reticle a lot. Also good if you have an astigmatism, which I developed late in life. I think the 5x prism scopes are too honking huge.

Last edited:
my 5x is barely bigger than the 3x. maybe an ounce or two and slightly bigger objective.

I have used PA mirco advanced red dot, It great for the money. PA is a stand up responsive reputable company. I would have no reservations.

They will run deals next week for sure, on what who knows.

If you are on Facebook, follow mrgunsngear he is always posting deals.

Some great input, thanks folks.

I will have to wait till Friday and see if a sale happens.

It did occur to me that while the FDE scope and mount might look cool with the rifle if I had to swap out the PA factory mount for another brand then black would probably be the only option. I would not want it to end up looking like the calico cat of rifles. Might be wise to go with a black scope from the get-go, I will have to think on that one.

:emoji_tiger:

Some great input, thanks folks.

I will have to wait till Friday and see if a sale happens.

It did occur to me that while the FDE scope and mount might look cool with the rifle if I had to swap out the PA factory mount for another brand then black would probably be the only option. I would not want it to end up looking like the calico cat of rifles. Might be wise to go with a black scope from the get-go, I will have to think on that one.

they will have a thanksgiving day sale as well. some items do change from day to day

Had some time this evening to read over the PA warranty -- which I had to search the site for.

Seems the Prism scopes are only warrantied for 3-years,
Warranty List - Primary Arms Optics

And that warranty has a more disqualifying terms than I am use to with the Vortex and Burris scopes I own which both have lifetime "whatever happens" terms.
Warranty Information - Primary Arms Optics

More food for thought.

the PA prism scope is far superior to anything from vortex or burris in similar price range. Burris has a new prism scope but IIRC it's competing with ACOGs. the prism has no erector tube assembly like a scope and is so robust i don't personally worry about warranty. the only thing that coudl crap out woudl be the electronics although in the years i've been using my PA prisms I never bother lighting up the reticle. it works fine without illumination.

i'm luke warm on the primary arms line of scopes, especially their 1-6x line that gets heavily promoted by paid off youtubers. however the PA prisms are excellent and I believe they are a notch above the competition. the newer line of prisms has a lifetime warranty although i sort of doubt it will be needed.

Primary Arms Gen II 3X Compact Prism Scope - Illuminated ACSS CQB-M2 5.56 Reticle PAC3X-GENII-ACSS-5.56

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom