• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pa. closes loophole allowing residents to obtain concealed gun permit from Florida

What a bunch of idiots!
I see they offer zero proof showing that the people who hold these Florida non-residents permits are involved in any criminal activity whatsoever.
It's NOT the people who obtain licenses that are threatening public safety, it's the criminals who don't care about the licensing laws to begin with.

Just wondering, do any Pa. Sheriffs offices allow non-residents to mail the application, or do they all require you to submit it in person?

I didn't read the article but know that Philly had some "philosophical problems" with the idea of anyone CCW'g in their super-safe city. /sarcasm

IIRC Philly would refuse to issue permits to ordinary citizens, so folks found a work-around . . . get a FL NR permit as a PA resident and CCW on that. Obviously TPTB didn't like that idea, hence this latest pronouncement is the result.

Doesn't affect non-residents of PA w/FL permit as written.

according to the Florida resiprosity website, it does.

PLEASE NOTE: The reciprocity information on this page is ALWAYS CURRENT. The Division of Licensing constantly monitors changing gun laws in other states and attempts to negotiate agreements as the laws in those states allow.

Recent Modifications to the Reciprocity List:

February 4, 2013: Effective this date, PENNSYLVANIA will no longer honor a Florida concealed weapon license if the license holder is not a RESIDENT of the state of Florida.

It is important for license holders to understand that when they are traveling in or through another state they are subject to the firearm laws of that state. We have provided links to the state laws or to the licensing authorities' Web page of each of our reciprocity states so that licensees can do the necessary planning and research when preparing to travel.

Concealed Carry Reciprocity - Division of Licensing, FDACS

ETA: I read the notice from Pa that is on the Florida site as well (under the section with the agreements, Click on Pennsylvania to get there), and you are correct, it does not mention Non-resident. But the Fl site clearly states that it applies to ALL non residents. I sent the Florida people an email asking for clarification.

Last edited:
I stand corrected.

So, are they gonna close the Utah loophole as well? PA + dumb attorney general bitch = retards. Guess Ill get a Utah permit now.

Last edited:
If you read the agreement between PA and ME, that agreement specifies that a Maine Resident permit is recognized by PA.

... [T]he State of PENNSYLVANIA shall recognize any valid Maine resident license/permit to carry a concealed handgun by valid State of Maine resident license/permit holders while said license/permit holders are present in the State of PENNSYLVANIA.

I agree that the memo published by the PA AG does not address Non-Florida and Non-Pennsylvania residents, but when the amendment to the agreement is published, it may be worded similarly to the agreement with Maine.

The good news is that the agreement between PA and NH does not mention residency.

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania will recognize valid New Hampshire permits to carry concealed firearms by valid permit holders while said permit holders are present in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

However, in the preamble, the PA/NH agreement says in part:

WHEREAS, the purpose of this Reciprocity Agreement is to extend reciprocal concealed firearm carry permit/license privileges to the citizens of the State of New Hampshire and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania,

Does the preamble limit the agreement to residents of NH?

PA has really gone full-retard since I got my non-res permit.

I think I mailed in a $20 check and had the license back in my hand less than 10 days later. WTF?

PA has really gone full-retard since I got my non-res permit.

I think I mailed in a $20 check and had the license back in my hand less than 10 days later. WTF?

Do you know of any PA county that does not currently require an in-person appearance as part of the application process?

Do you know of any PA county that does not currently require an in-person appearance as part of the application process?

Rob they changed the state law to require in-person applications back ~May 2011 just after I got mine by Mail. Doubt that I'll renew in 2016 as I'm not planning any trips to PA. Centre County Sheriff said he was going to see what he could do (this was back in Feb. 2011) but I don't think he can really do anything to circumvent that requirement.

Hmm.

Len, Rob can you confirm what I'm going to say is true.

So you can't get a non-resident PA permit without an in person appearance.
And a FL non resident is no longer Valid.

But for now, a Utah non-resident is valid.

I'm asking because I'm in PA fairly regularly. I've always carried on my FL non-res. I have a Utah non-res but wasn't going to renew it because it only got me one useless state, something like Indiana.

I guess for a northeasterner, there is now a real reason to get a UT permit. . . unless I renew my NH permit. Which is also recognized in PA.

Don

The info about "in person" and Sheriff Denny Nau of Centre County being an all around good guy is consistent with what I have heard.

I suspect the reason they are trying to close the loophole is that the Philly politicians and PD were upset that their own residents were bypassing the PA process by obtaining FL permits. There was one case where about a half dozen PA resident, FL permit holding, individuals were arrested and the end result was each receiving a modest settlement (I think about $5K each) from the Philadumpia PD for the unlawful arrest.

The info about "in person" and Sheriff Denny Nau of Centre County being an all around good guy is consistent with what I have heard.

I suspect the reason they are trying to close the loophole is that the Philly politicians and PD were upset that their own residents were bypassing the PA process by obtaining FL permits. There was one case where about a half dozen PA resident, FL permit holding, individuals were arrested and the end result was each receiving a modest settlement (I think about $5K each) from the Philadumpia PD for the unlawful arrest.

First Denny Nau is a stand up guy. Met him when I re-newed my permit just after the end of the PSU trial.

As far as the problem with Philly permits, there were two problems. First was the run around by the Philly PD, in most locations the Sheriff is the issuer but in "class 1 cities" it is the chief of police (sheriffs are elected rather than appointed chiefs) so they get to add a lot of road blocks. Second, and I don;t know how prevalent it is was that according to the Philly police, persons who would be inelilgible under PA law for a carry license could get a "mail order" permt from Florida and carry in PA. This is no longer the case as the new AG (newly elected democrat) has issued a new reciprocity agrement, eliminating the "loophole". As noted on the PAFOA forum, election have consequences.

As far as the problem with Philly permits, there were two problems. First was the run around by the Philly PD, in most locations the Sheriff is the issuer but in "class 1 cities" it is the chief of police (sheriffs are elected rather than appointed chiefs) so they get to add a lot of road blocks. Second, and I don;t know how prevalent it is was that according to the Philly police, persons who would be inelilgible under PA law for a carry license could get a "mail order" permt from Florida and carry in PA.
If I understand correctly, Philly is the only city of first class in PA now (Pittsburgh got downgraded a few years back).

Is the problem that people were truly ineligible, or that the Philly PD simply said they were, and denied them?

I haven't been over to PAFOA lately. Maybe they have the scoop.

Hmm.

Len, Rob can you confirm what I'm going to say is true.

So you can't get a non-resident PA permit without an in person appearance.
And a FL non resident is no longer Valid.

But for now, a Utah non-resident is valid.

I'm asking because I'm in PA fairly regularly. I've always carried on my FL non-res. I have a Utah non-res but wasn't going to renew it because it only got me one useless state, something like Indiana.

I guess for a northeasterner, there is now a real reason to get a UT permit. . . unless I renew my NH permit. Which is also recognized in PA.

Don

Don,

See what Rob and EC1 had to say below you.

If you are in PA all the time, just drop by a Sheriff's office and submit it there, easy peasy. Just don't try it in Philly!

The process is simple, they want a photo and get to see you in person now, that's all.

I'd love to meet Sheriff Denny Nau! I had my permit back in 4 calendar days which is unreal. I had a question after receiving it and Emailed him, got a reply in hours . . . my answer and the tenor of his reply was what I call "very sociable"!

When I'm up for renewal, I will contact him and see if there are any alternatives other than travel to PA . . . I still have 3 years and who knows what could change over that time.

Another historical issue....

Until a few years ago, PA permits were "shall issue" except in "cities of the first class". When it went to shall-issue statewide, the Philadumpia establishment was obviously less than enthusiastic and didn't exactly roll out a warm welcome to applicants, making mail order FL less hassle than applying in Philly.

Some Philly Political Douche said:
We cannot allow these lawful acts to go unpunished!!!

I'd laugh if it wasn't likely to be true. [sad2]

I used Centre County. From what I remember they were one of the few remaining places that allowed you to submit through the mail. That may have changed in the past 2 years though.

If PA eliminated the bullshit which holds Philadumpia residents hostage to that crew of a**h***s in that city, this wouldn't be a problem... nobody would ever bother going to the local PD to get their permit outside of reasons of convenience.

-Mike

For PA non-res permits you must apply in person, no way around it at the present. However, for a renewal it took me less than 15 minutes at Denny Nau's office. I had filled out the paperwork in advance, they made a couple of phone calls and they took a photo, printed the permit and handed it to me. I met Sheriff Nau and his staff, all very nice and wondered why a MA res would travel so far.

Back
Top Bottom