P83 vs Makarov for Carry

So it looks like I'll be moving to NH around the start of September/end of August for college. One thing I want to do is get a carry permit in each New England state that I can, which would include Mass and CT. I'd be a resident of NH, everything else would be non-res.

I have a Beretta 92 Compact and a Tokarev now, so I'm thinking about getting something smaller that would have a standard Mass-and-CT-friendly mag and is more reliable than the Tokarev (has a FTE once every 100 shots or so and doesn't like being run fast).

I also don't want to spend a lot, so I'm thinking a Bulgarian Makarov or a P83 Wanad. Maybe a P64 as well. Which would you all choose?

Short answer: MA won't give you a permit and it would be $100/year if they did. RI and CT won't be much better. If you are a 2A activist, stay in a state where ownership ights are under attack.

The absolute last place to economize is the purchase of a carry pistol, if you think about it.

Short answer: MA won't give you a permit and it would be $100/year if they did. RI and CT won't be much better. If you are a 2A activist, stay in a state where ownership ights are under attack.

The absolute last place to economize is the purchase of a carry pistol, if you think about it.

I am familiar with the Mass non-res permitting process in addition to RI's. Not so sure about CT but I'd like to keep this about the guns, thank you.

The third option you mentioned at the end, the P64, is trash IMO. I have 2. The triggers are horrendous especially before improvements. I did the wolf trigger spring upgrades that the guys on the P64 forum swear by but the things are still garbage. They are reliable, but the trigger is ****ed.

The third option you mentioned at the end, the P64, is trash IMO. I have 2. The triggers are horrendous especially before improvements. I did the wolf trigger spring upgrades that the guys on the P64 forum swear by but the things are still garbage. They are reliable, but the trigger is ****ed.

Thanks for that. I also have a .22 PPK/S and the DA trigger is insane. If the trigger on PPKs wasn't so bad I'd buy a .380 and be happy. The SA trigger is good, but a first shot of 17lbs isn't going to be good and I don't want to buy a $500 to $700 gun and then take it immediately to a gunsmith and get the trigger worked on. So no to the P64.

The DA trigger pull on the P64 is very stiff, but there is also the consideration that it is a $200 gun that shoots a respectable defensive caliber and is very reliable and accurate.

It wouldn't be my first choice for a carry piece, but on a budget, it's not the worst thing out there.

P83 vs Makarov? I'll take a CZ82 please. ;) sweet trigger, high cap (smaller mags are available or they can be modded to take your mag limit.), best of the 9x18s.

I've been interested in a Makarov but I don't know too much about them to be honest. Are 9x18 hollow points readily available?

I carry a Makarov, you can get Hornady Critical Defense at Shooters Outpost.

I also have a tokarev, I don't trust it anywhere near enough to carry.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Shields and LC9s go for around 350-400 in Nh, and G43s around $490. That's as low as I'd go for an EDC. Why in the world would you take a chance with a gun you plan on trusting your life with?

They usually have them at Collectable Arms in Merrimack, NH. I have also seen them at Cabelas.

Interesting. The Makarov's been a gun I've considered interesting and one of those that if I ran into one at a fair price I'd probably get it out of curiosity. Not going to need hollow points though because it's not replacing the Sig as EDC.

Shields and LC9s go for around 350-400 in Nh, and G43s around $490. That's as low as I'd go for an EDC. Why in the world would you take a chance with a gun you plan on trusting your life with?

Your (and garandman's) point is a good one but...

I've shot a LC9 and I've owned a Glock and I wouldn't go back to either. The Glock would be ok to carry, but I'm not a fan of the OEM long, gritty trigger pull. The LC9 trigger is insanely long and heavy. It's not like I'm looking at Tauruses or a Lorcin/Jennings either - these were military issue guns.

The other two guns I've thought about for a smaller-cap pistol would be a new .380 PPK/S + trigger job or a Colt New Agent. I like a hammer fired, metal gun and I also prefer SAO.

The other two guns I've thought about for a smaller-cap pistol would be a new .380 PPK/S + trigger job or a Colt New Agent. I like a hammer fired, metal gun and I also prefer SAO.

Are revolvers off the table? A friend of mine carries an LCR and likes it well enough.

Go with the makarov. OK for pocket carry, though just barely since it is fairly heavy for pickets. Dead nuts accurate and reliable. You can't say that about Smith and wesson.

One more question: is there a decent leather holster maker in NH, VT, or north of Boston? No matter what gun I get, I want to get a nice holster or two.

I have 8 different Tokerev models and a few Makarovs plus the CZ-82 and CZ-52 plus the .380 PPK/S. I am not a fan of the CZs. or P64 for anything but showing on the wall of my gun room. But I have a Bulgarian Makarov that I concealed carried for a few years. Have also carried the PPK. About a year ago, I switched to a Beretta 92 in the fall through spring and a single action Micro Desert Eagle .380 in a pocket holster (Magnum Research) for spring/summer when I don't wear enough clothing to mask the Beretta. I still love my Bulgarian Mak though. One of my favorite guns. I hate the feel/performancce of the P64/CZ.

I have 8 different Tokerev models and a few Makarovs plus the CZ-82 and CZ-52 plus the .380 PPK/S. I am not a fan of the CZs. or P64 for anything but showing on the wall of my gun room. But I have a Bulgarian Makarov that I concealed carried for a few years. Have also carried the PPK. About a year ago, I switched to a Beretta 92 in the fall through spring and a single action Micro Desert Eagle .380 in a pocket holster (Magnum Research) for spring/summer when I don't wear enough clothing to mask the Beretta. I still love my Bulgarian Mak though. One of my favorite guns. I hate the feel/performancce of the P64/CZ.

Thanks for the info. How's the DA trigger on your Bulgarian Mak?

I have a German Mac, pocket carry it very often ( in a holster) - very reliable, never a problem with any ammo, reasonable trigger, good accuracy. Like it a lot.

I have an E German mak that I like very much. That said. I have carried it in occasion, but I think there are a lot better choices out there for carry guns.

As you are in NH, you have a lot more options than we do.. I'd opt for a used Glock or a used snub if money is a question. If for no other reason than 9x18 has been harder to find and getting a lot more expensive than 9mm or 38/357..

If for no other reason than 9x18 has been harder to find and getting a lot more expensive than 9mm or 38/357..

I usually pay around 23 cents/round for Silver Bear 9x18 when buying in bulk. (That's before shipping of course). I carry an East German Makarov almost exclusively in the warm months, and practice with it fairly often. For carry I use Hornady XTP's and those are around 85 cents/round.

9x18 doesn't pack quite the punch of 9x19 but it'll do it's job if you do yours. I've carried a lot of different guns over the year and I always come back to the EG Mak for a summer carry gun. It's rugged, reliable, accurate and comfortable to shoot. Plus if you run out of rounds you can always through it at your attacker. It's pretty damn heavy for a compact pistol. [laugh]

I have one as well, and just put 50 rounds through it Saturday. I don't shoot it all that often. Maybe twice a year. I never carry it. It is reliable with quality ammo. The D/A pull definitely is stout even with the Wolff replacement springs but the S/A trigger is fine. The problem with that gun is it is so snappy in the recoil department because of it's size and grip area that it constantly shifts in my hand no matter how tight I hold it. If I had to rely on it for a carry gun, I wouldn't have a problem with it but it's just not comfortable to shoot. I like it for what it is: A cool C&R handgun with history.

Just joined this website. Greetings to the northeastern people.
tk421991:This spring I acquired my first Maks (Rus. IZH-70, .380, Bulgy, EG), a CZ-82, and a P-83. Am about to buy a second P-83.

Handling/shooting the 83 seems identical to the actual Maks. If you can avoid letting the Wanad 83's hammer spur snag on anything, many reports verify that it is just as good a carry gun. It has been just as solid and reliable.

The P-83's DA pull is very smooth and requires almost as consistent a pressure as my EG Mak. The 83's DA pull requires less increase in finger pressure compared to the Bulgy and Russian.
Hope this helps a little. All of the guns I've listed have a Very smooth DA pull and good SA.

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever seen a Makarov in an LGS, although I admit I haven't really looked. Are classifieds the only way to go?

Do residents of New England-other than in CT, Boston, NYC/Newark-have access to gun shows?

45collector: You would like the P-83's DA trigger almost as much as the East German Makarov. Otherwise the only operational or visible difference is the long hammer spur.

Oops, forgot to mention the visible trigger bar, as with the Beretta 92.

My perspective is that the DA is between the Rus./Bulgy and the EG's trigger. And all of the Maks are smooth.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom