• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

P80 build - tools help?

yosw

NES Member
Hello there

This black Friday i just couldn't stop myself from getting a P80 kid on sale ... But I just can't convince myself to buy a bench press drill and bigger for what would be 30 minutes of work.

Is anyone out there open to help me with access to their shop for the milling and drilling? I can entertain you with stories...

Located in eastern Mass ... Thanks!

Joseph

Rails: score with a razor and break them off with electrical pliers.
Recoil spring cutout: dremel or round file.
Holes: hand drill.
There’s really not a lot of ‘milling’ involved. It’s about 30 minutes of work.

Rails: score with a razor and break them off with electrical pliers.
Recoil spring cutout: dremel or round file.
Holes: hand drill.
There’s really not a lot of ‘milling’ involved. It’s about 30 minutes of work.

This, right here. You can do the whole thing with a dremel, some sandpaper or files, and a hand drill. Don't even need a vise, but it helps.

This, right here. You can do the whole thing with a dremel, some sandpaper or files, and a hand drill. Don't even need a vise, but it helps.
...and if you don't have a Dremel, get one. It's one of those things you don't realize you need until you get one. Then a year later you wonder how you survived without one.

...and if you don't have a Dremel, get one. It's one of those things you don't realize you need until you get one. Then a year later you wonder how you survived without one.

Thumbs up on this. I use mine all the time. mostly cutting metal like cutting bolts instead of a hacksaw.
But 1,000 and 1 uses for it.

Not that I'm suggesting this (see below), but I drilled mine out with a hand-crank drill. Yes, the holes were not lined up 100% perfect. Yes, it took a deal of messing about to get the pins lined up. But yes, it does in fact work as intended with no pins walking out. Point being, free-standing shop tools would be ideal, but one could get by with hand tools like a cordless drill.

I did mine this way just to see if it was possible to do in the most restrictive way possible. Kind of good to know it can be done with such rudimentary tools if necessary.

And buy yerself a drill press while you're at it. Get a crappy one from Habah-Frayt and stick it in the corner. Like the Dremel, it'll come in handy when you need to make very precise holes. $70! Merry Christmas!

I've got an old Evergleam silver Christmas tree. Vintage first or second year Evergleam. OF course, my mother CHUCKED the box. But everything else is complete - except teh stand (and color wheel - another story) and a previous owner must have fallen on it in a drunken stupor and then they fixed it - the center pole isn't right. We have a lot more branches than holes. So I need to cut some new holes. I'm gonna set the pole on the drill press and get the angle right by tilting the work base. THEN I'm gonna reduce the angle just a squidge and drill out another section of branch holes. Make the tree a bit fuller. Because my wife LOVES this tree. My kids hate it, but she thinks it's retro cool. Mid-century modern and all that.

Not sure if you're talking about the P80 AR15 or 308 lower, or a glockish pistol. The pistol, like everyone else has said, you could basically do it with a couple files (round and flat) (or end snips or dremel or knife or etc...), and some kind of hand drill. If the ARish lowers, then a drill press or mill is nice, but you can do it with with a bunch of drilled holes, and then dremel out the rest. Just won't end up as pretty (or at least mine wouldn't ;) )
Hello there

This black Friday i just couldn't stop myself from getting a P80 kid on sale ... But I just can't convince myself to buy a bench press drill and bigger for what would be 30 minutes of work.

Is anyone out there open to help me with access to their shop for the milling and drilling? I can entertain you with stories...

Located in eastern Mass ... Thanks!

Joseph

Thank you for all the great answers and info. Picked up a Dremel and will get into work on the glockish reciever soon. Will post a picture when done!

Not sure if you're talking about the P80 AR15 or 308 lower, or a glockish pistol. The pistol, like everyone else has said, you could basically do it with a couple files (round and flat) (or end snips or dremel or knife or etc...), and some kind of hand drill. If the ARish lowers, then a drill press or mill is nice, but you can do it with with a bunch of drilled holes, and then dremel out the rest. Just won't end up as pretty (or at least mine wouldn't ;) )

A router with an end mill works nicely for the AR lowers, especially if you have a jig built for it. But yeah, you can still do it the quick and dirty way with the drill and dremel so long as you're careful.

Agree about the jig. I have a router jig from 5Dtactical. Just thinking of what would work for the OP, if he was doing it with just what came with the polymer 80 (ar15/308) if that was what they had.
A router with an end mill works nicely for the AR lowers, especially if you have a jig built for it. But yeah, you can still do it the quick and dirty way with the drill and dremel so long as you're careful.

Back
Top Bottom