• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

P3AT. What is close in weight and size?

I have a P32 and an LCPII. The P32 is the same size as the P3AT and it's an easy gun to carry size-wise. Nothing wrong with it. The LCPII is just as easy to carry and it's a very shootable 380 with a much better trigger. I would recommend an LCPII if you can get your hands on one.

I just picked up a used P3AT to pocket carry when I'm wearing a suit or a tuxedo. Ran some magazines of Critical Defense, went bang ever time, no FTF, no FTE no fail to anything. I won't be taking it to the range for a day of fun, but that is not its' purpose.

I normally pocket carry a LCR in 9mm, which was just a bit bulky for a suit.

Sig P238? too heavy?

wtf I checked Sig's site and they only list one model of this, a two-tone CA compliant version that's absolutely hideous. maybe there are some nice-looking used ones out there?

Last edited:
Pocket 380s = beats not taking a gun at all
Well, gotta get something soon. Was walking the dog out at Hodges Dam in Oxford, and was on the far side, long dirt road, after dusk. Dog looked into the woods. I shined my light there, and saw 2 sets of eyes, and maybe 2-4 coyotes all running and writhing with each other, probably planning us for their next meal. I had pepper/mace spray, knife, a long rope for dog, and a road full of rocks. I picked up about 4 rocks, made some noise, and tossed the rocks at the coyotes. They skedaddled, but then I had to keep checking both sides, forward and back for the next mile. Plus, on top of that, my light was getting dimmer and dimmer. My dog is no wuss, in fact, she's pretty tough, but she's about 70 pounds, and they were probably 6 inches higher than her, I'm guessing 90 pounds; about the size of a big German shepherd or husky at least, reddish in color. The dog and this overweight old fart jogged and threw stones for the next mile while shining a weak flashlight into the woods. Gotta get something soon. Not going to get anything as big as a Glock 43 or Sig 365; too heavy and too big for pocket carry in shorts. Maybe a belt pack, but would have to try it out. Leaning towards a LCPs or S&W 642/638 for the moment, and a P3AT when I can find one. Don't really know much about the LCPII right now.

I had a 642. I sold it. I shoot the Kahr PM9 better. 9mm > .38 Spcl. Faster to reload. Real sights (if you can still use them). Both can be equipped with a laser.

Well, gotta get something soon. Was walking the dog out at Hodges Dam in Oxford, and was on the far side, long dirt road, after dusk. Dog looked into the woods. I shined my light there, and saw 2 sets of eyes, and maybe 2-4 coyotes all running and writhing with each other, probably planning us for their next meal. I had pepper/mace spray, knife, a long rope for dog, and a road full of rocks. I picked up about 4 rocks, made some noise, and tossed the rocks at the coyotes. They skedaddled, but then I had to keep checking both sides, forward and back for the next mile. Plus, on top of that, my light was getting dimmer and dimmer. My dog is no wuss, in fact, she's pretty tough, but she's about 70 pounds, and they were probably 6 inches higher than her, I'm guessing 90 pounds; about the size of a big German shepherd or husky at least, reddish in color. The dog and this overweight old fart jogged and threw stones for the next mile while shining a weak flashlight into the woods. Gotta get something soon. Not going to get anything as big as a Glock 43 or Sig 365; too heavy and too big for pocket carry in shorts. Maybe a belt pack, but would have to try it out. Leaning towards a LCPs or S&W 642/638 for the moment, and a P3AT when I can find one. Don't really know much about the LCPII right now.

1662003830180.png

May want to consider a 'Squach costume/ghillie-suit...

'Squatch is an Apex Predator and Yotes are what's for dinner...

1662003783410.png

for pocket carry coyote defense an 8 shot .22 mag Ruger LCR would be about perfect. Coyote's aren't that tough and .22 mag will more than do the job. Even an 8 or 10 shot .22LR would be fine really.

Consider the relatively new Ruger LCP MAX 380. 10 shot flush fit mags, 12 shot with pinky rest in normal states.

It has GREAT, real, usable sights for a micro gun, tritium front dot. Can actually hit most stuff.

Yeah...it still sucks to shoot, but it sucks notably less than average as far as pocket 380s go. I'd much rather have a G19 or similar, but boy is this a lot more comfortable to carry. Higly pocket-able. Unless you are a large guy with big pockets, the P365 isn't really pocket-able IMO.

1662008230828.png

Last edited:
Maybe you should change your avatar.....

Won't fit in shorts. [laugh2]

Heck, they are already overloaded with light, phone, keys, dog treats. I have guns to kill coyotes, if that's what I was out to do. I just want to walk, and not get attacked or even bothered by them. Bad enough I am going to now bring an extra battery with me. Heck, I leave the chapstick at home to save space.

Won't fit in shorts. [laugh2]

Heck, they are already overloaded with light, phone, keys, dog treats. I have guns to kill coyotes, if that's what I was out to do. I just want to walk, and not get attacked or even bothered by them. Bad enough I am going to now bring an extra battery with me. Heck, I leave the chapstick at home to save space.

Time for a fanny pack.

If y'all considering 380s, would you consider a 38 snub instead? A LCR or 642/442 would contour more smoothly in a leather pocket holster and draw smoothly as well. or do 5 shots not make you feel warm and safe inside?

If y'all considering 380s, would you consider a 38 snub instead? A LCR or 642/442 would contour more smoothly in a leather pocket holster and draw smoothly as well. or do 5 shots not make you feel warm and safe inside?
I find that my Kahr PM9 conceals better than my 642 ever did. It is also easier to shoot accurately, has larger capacity, has a better trigger, is faster the reload, and has real sights. The claim that a revolver "contour's more smoothly and draw smoothly" compared to a small auto is not something I've ever found to be the case. The 642/442's cylinder is significantly thicker than a small auto. The grip is larger than a small auto as well. It just doesn't fit as easily into a pocket nor does it conceal as easily for me as the Kahr PM9. That's why I still carry the PM9 and why I sold the 642.

I find that my Kahr PM9 conceals better than my 642 ever did. It is also easier to shoot accurately, has larger capacity, has a better trigger, is faster the reload, and has real sights. The claim that a revolver "contour's more smoothly and draw smoothly" compared to a small auto is not something I've ever found to be the case. The 642/442's cylinder is significantly thicker than a small auto. The grip is larger than a small auto as well. It just doesn't fit as easily into a pocket nor does it conceal as easily for me as the Kahr PM9. That's why I still carry the PM9 and why I sold the 642.
I had the opposite experience and sold the opposite. The 642 in a Galco pocket protector doesn't look like anything noticeable at all in my pants pocket while I used to own the poor man's PM9, a CM9 and every time I put that in a pocket it looked like I was carrying a very oversized wallet or a massive power bank. Probably the CM9 holster was just shit and added unnecessary bulk. Something in my pants pocket pointing at my femoral I am more than happy with a 12 lb trigger vs 6 lb.

I had the opposite experience and sold the opposite. The 642 in a Galco pocket protector doesn't look like anything noticeable at all in my pants pocket while I used to own the poor man's PM9, a CM9 and every time I put that in a pocket it looked like I was carrying a very oversized wallet or a massive power bank. Probably the CM9 holster was just shit and added unnecessary bulk. Something in my pants pocket pointing at my femoral I am more than happy with a 12 lb trigger vs 6 lb.

I bought a 642 as well to try pocket carrying it and it just didn’t work for me either. I have to imagine it all depends on what kind of pants your wearing as well. I wear Levi’s and they have medium depth pockets and the revolver patterned to much for me to be comfortable with it. If I wore cargo type pants with deep loose pockets I would bet the 642 would pocket just fine.

I have to imagine it all depends on what kind of pants your wearing as well.
Nylon Adidas gym shorts. No structure at all, whatsoever; very loose and flimsy. Really doubt even pocket carry would work here, most likely would try the belly band, which will suck because of sweating. Too bad the P3AT or CW9 is not stainless. Maybe leaning towards a S&W alloy/stainless revolver for that fact alone.

You my friend might be the perfect applicant for "The Gun Diaper" aka Thunderwear...

1662081423357.png

This would be more like it, but overkill for a small pistol. I guess that would end this thread, since I could carry whatever I wanted in one of these. Other thing is, any bird-watcher Karens and Army Corps of Engineer people would flip their lid seeing this.

1662083275903.png 1662083384036.png

Last edited:
I had a 642. I sold it. I shoot the Kahr PM9 better. 9mm > .38 Spcl. Faster to reload. Real sights (if you can still use them). Both can be equipped with a laser.
Odd. Even though I have a p3at and love it, my LC9 was replaced with a similar 637 jframe.

I don't find it bulky. Even though the round count is less, I pocket or ankle carry the j frame almost continuously.

Ive probably carried the p3at maybe 15 days out of the last 365 vs 330+ for the revolver.

The year I had an LC9, those numbers were the same.

I think I need to go buy an LC9s. ;)

Edit: ya M1911. I think as we get older, sights begin to matter more. Unless we are Jerry M.

I'm still really comfy with my jframe. Thing is super accurate if I do my part. That said. I'm thinking a 43x with a red dot may be in my future. Even though. I really like the LC9 feel.

Back
Top Bottom