• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

P365

I'm still confused as to why somebody would ever want to put an RDS on a handgun that small.

The current trend seems to be trying to make the 365 fit every application, instead of keeping it as a small compact handgun.

on other topic - the mag release lever - is it worth trying taking it off and, dunno, may be polish it? or, is it overall futile to try make it move any smoother?
it is not too bad, but, after glocks it really feels, how much worse it is.

The current trend seems to be trying to make the 365 fit every application, instead of keeping it as a small compact handgun.
I literally was dumbfounded when I discovered that there's actually a f***ing Glock 43X MOS... like "but y tho?" Etc. The whole point of that class of handguns is to be smaller. In every
dimension. I can't see the point of putting an RDS on anything smaller than like a G19, frankly.

I literally was dumbfounded when I discovered that there's actually a f***ing Glock 43X MOS... like "but y tho?" Etc. The whole point of that class of handguns is to be smaller. In every
dimension. I can't see the point of putting an RDS on anything smaller than like a G19, frankly.
as i dry fire it at right this moment, actually, i can say again - the front sight is so crazy UGLY fat - it is not easy to see anything well nor align it well - trying to hit 1/2" bullseye laser target at 20ft.
i can see how an rds would eliminate most of that problem.

still, i would agree 100% - hitting bullseyes at 10+ yds is not the primary objective for this weapon.

I had my 365 milled for a shied RMSc dot, which has a really small footprint and weighs just over an ounce I think. My problem is I can't see the front sight any longer.

So I kind of agree with you. Guns that are small enough that you can’t get a full firing grip I would never bother getting a RDS because it’s counterintuitive entirely to go for the smallest package available.
The 365 definitely straddles that line. But anything like the 365XL and 43X are basically single stack slightly reduced frame of original compacts like the 19. (in size at least for the 365XL since it’s stack and a half) They lose a lot of the grip “fullness” and a little bit of barrel, but the biggest thing is savings of width. Allowing people who struggle with the larger guns to have something very close to a full-size/full-size compact option.
So having a red dot sight on something mildly comparable to a full-size compact (more accurate description of a 19 equivalent)
So guns like the 365XL and 43X are more the new compacts while the 365 and 43 are micros.
The issue in practice is that all of the options for micro RDS have unreliable track records at best.
romeo zero has problems
Shield RMSc has problems
The holosun micro has problems
Trijicon’s entry is too new to really have an answer
1608819510920.png

I received tlr6 module and zeroed it. Vertical adjustment is good, stiff and precise, horizontal is quite bad. But, I zeroed it reasonably well for 10yds, and with the laser it has no need for rds.
Stock sights are still quite horrible. With laser I can do dry fire hit 7 out of 10 tries, with sights it is barely 2. With rds on Glock I hardly do 2 misses out of 10.
But, overall, tlr6 laser/light is manageable size wise and I think I will keep it.

Having lasers on now I confirmed that a stock rear sight should be moved left 3/4 mm or 1/2 mm. I tried to hammer it as usual, but, it seems to be sitting in there much tighter than Glock ones do.

With all that said - this gun does not need rds nor would benefit much from it, in my opinion.
I have one laying around, so, I did a mock-up with some tape and looked how it will fit and it is totally counterproductive.

On a safety topic - it is a no issue as it is designed well enough and when disabled it stays disabled and well out of the way.

I dunno. Frankly I can't imagine having the option of a dot sight....and not taking it.

In thinking on it...
For ~20 years I've been shooting a dot gun in the various speed shooting sports... starting with a tube style Aimpoint on a P9 Springer in 9x21, C-more...todays minis. For ~ 20 years I've been listening to guys who were better shots, more experienced, more athletic, better grasp of the game etc. etc. etc. whine how I wouldn't have beaten them but for the dot...and you know what? They were all correct........ 20201224_164838[1].jpg

Last edited:
You probably didn't want the shit version with the safety on it. That's why they had them there. The unf***ed ones are harder to come by.

I just ordered an XL with the safety. I'll never carry it with the safety on but in a "mixed crowd" of friends / wives plinking, it's nice to hand it off to a n00b with the safety on.

So I kind of agree with you. Guns that are small enough that you can’t get a full firing grip I would never bother getting a RDS because it’s counterintuitive entirely to go for the smallest package available.
The 365 definitely straddles that line. But anything like the 365XL and 43X are basically single stack slightly reduced frame of original compacts like the 19. (in size at least for the 365XL since it’s stack and a half) They lose a lot of the grip “fullness” and a little bit of barrel, but the biggest thing is savings of width. Allowing people who struggle with the larger guns to have something very close to a full-size/full-size compact option.
So having a red dot sight on something mildly comparable to a full-size compact (more accurate description of a 19 equivalent)
So guns like the 365XL and 43X are more the new compacts while the 365 and 43 are micros.
The issue in practice is that all of the options for micro RDS have unreliable track records at best.
romeo zero has problems
Shield RMSc has problems
The holosun micro has problems
Trijicon’s entry is too new to really have an answer
View attachment 426840

The other problem on the micros is the window is the size of a f***ing thimble. So you're looking into a TV set that was basically designed for ants, mounted on the top of a
handgun. Every time I pick up a gun with a small micro RDS on it, my gut reaction is "blech".

Like I can see how someone would think a normal sized handgun RDS was "kinda cool". I get that... but on a 43X, or a 365, etc? Blech. Vomitar! [laugh]

The other problem on the micros is the window is the size of a f***ing thimble. So you're looking into a TV set that was basically designed for ants, mounted on the top of a
handgun. Every time I pick up a gun with a small micro RDS on it, my gut reaction is "blech".

Like I can see how someone would think a normal sized handgun RDS was "kinda cool". I get that... but on a 43X, or a 365, etc? Blech. Vomitar! [laugh]

I think this is more a factor for those who squint or shoot with one eye closed. If you shoot with both eyes open, it shouldn't matter as much outside of the thickness of the frame around the lens. That said, some of these micros are not as small as you'd think.

Holosun 507K X2 has a lens aperture of 0.58 x 0.77". For reference, a type I RMR is 0.63 x 0.87". An Aimpoint Micro T1 has a circular aperture of 0.71". That would actually be a smaller surface area to the 507K X2.

Back
Top Bottom