P365 "Best" CCW - ?

NE Shooters members have a lot of great knowledge here and I've learned a lot from all of you.
My opinion on the "best CCW" is that there is none. What I mean by that is there is a "perfect" CCW for each individual which would be the "best" firearm for them. My thoughts on the P365? The greatest striker fire CCW to date. Is it the best? NO, not for me. Why? Because after 200 rds I cannot put 10 rds in the same group as I do with 6 rds from my G43. So, that also means for me that capacity does not trump accuracy which is what I learned here on NES. What is the BEST is this Forum.

BTW, some CCW that I think everyone should try that I have fired and have been extremely reliable.

M&P Shield
Kahr P9, PM9 ( P9 for bigger hands)
Sig 365,938,238 (I prefer 238 of the 3)
Glock 42,43,26 (G26, most accurate for me)
M&P Bodyguard (if you can accept the trigger)
Ruger LC9s ( heavy recoil IMO)

Others that are a bit larger and heavier are the HK P30sk, VP9sk (not MA compliant); M&P and Ruger compacts.

Of course there's always a Revolver

Thanks For reading!

Of course there's always a Revolver

I've been thinking of carrying a revolver since Kimber came out with the K6s DASA with 3" barrel. Made for EDC, light weight, 6 round capacity and smooth lines. Pricey ($850 - $900) plus hard to get in the PRM as Kimber will not submit to the AG's BS. I have a S&W 3" 686+ but CC'ing IWB is a show stopper - way to heavy and cumbersome IMO. I'll stick with my P938 for now.

Man Al - you’ve been starting a lot of threads related to the 365 recently. :p

I used to carry a P238, then a 45C, and now I EDC the 365. It works for me. I’ll still carry the other two from time to time. I also randomly throw in a G19.

Some people like chocolate ice cream, some like vanilla ice cream.
Liking one more than the other doesn't make you right or wrong, it's just what you like more.
I happen to like chocolate with nuts, and the 365.

I've been shooting for about 35 years and carrying since 1991.
I've been a Glock bigot since about 1998. When I sold my Gen 3 S&W 686 and bought a G26. I didn't want to. The 686 was beautiful. The Glock ugly. But I shot a friends and reality sucked. The Glock was lighter, easier to shoot, easier to take down and more reliable.

I own both a G43 and a G26.

I am selling them both because I have a P365 and like it a lot. I shoot it far far better than I shoot the 43 and a bit better than the 26.

I don't entirely trust the firing pin to last like a Glocks, through tens of thousands of rounds. (My Gen 3 G34 that I retired after shooting IDPA with it for 5 years had over 33,000 rounds through it with nothing changed other than the recoil spring assembly)

But a new firing pin assembly for the 365 is $35. So I'll replace it every 1000 rounds. That should be about once a year. Short money considering I'm getting a gun that shoots better than a 26 but carries as well as a 43.

In short, the P365 is a fantastic combination that is now pretty much the only gun I carry other than my Kahr P380 pocket gun.

Don

p.s. Lets all learn to say "carry gun" rather than CCW. CCW is a stupid term. More syllables than "carry gun" when speaking and just a few fewer key strokes when typing when you consider the need to press the caps key. Plus its meaning is obtuse to those who aren't the "cool kids". Making these threads less accessible to new shooters.

Ex - I was CCWing my CCW going to get my CCL when I got a DUI. But its ok. I was operating operationally.

Everyone is different. What works well for one may not work as well for the other. I like some Sigs, but the 365 ain’t one of em.

There is definitely a somewhat short list of good ccw pistols that will help newbies generally narrow it down. But every now and then I talk to someone, usually an old timer, but not exclusively, that carries something obscure, loves it, and would never do anything different. I say, good for them.

Man Al - you’ve been starting a lot of threads related to the 365 recently. :p

I used to carry a P238, then a 45C, and now I EDC the 365. It works for me. I’ll still carry the other two from time to time. I also randomly throw in a G19.

Yes ,because last year I fired my friend's. Of course he had to have one when they first came out. I shot it pretty well. Bought one less than two weeks ago and after 200 rds, I can't get a good grouping. Sold it to my FFL today.

BTW, my Friend's early 365 had real bad primer drag, my gun wasn't have as bad, in fact some of the cartridges didn't have any.

Some people like chocolate ice cream, some like vanilla ice cream.
Liking one more than the other doesn't make you right or wrong, it's just what you like more.
I happen to like chocolate with nuts, and the 365.

I like Vanilla and my G26 and G43

I've been shooting for about 35 years and carrying since 1991.
I've been a Glock bigot since about 1998. When I sold my Gen 3 S&W 686 and bought a G26. I didn't want to. The 686 was beautiful. The Glock ugly. But I shot a friends and reality sucked. The Glock was lighter, easier to shoot, easier to take down and more reliable.

I own both a G43 and a G26.

I am selling them both because I have a P365 and like it a lot. I shoot it far far better than I shoot the 43 and a bit better than the 26.

I don't entirely trust the firing pin to last like a Glocks, through tens of thousands of rounds. (My Gen 3 G34 that I retired after shooting IDPA with it for 5 years had over 33,000 rounds through it with nothing changed other than the recoil spring assembly)

But a new firing pin assembly for the 365 is $35. So I'll replace it every 1000 rounds. That should be about once a year. Short money considering I'm getting a gun that shoots better than a 26 but carries as well as a 43.

In short, the P365 is a fantastic combination that is now pretty much the only gun I carry other than my Kahr P380 pocket gun.

Don

p.s. Lets all learn to say "carry gun" rather than CCW. CCW is a stupid term. More syllables than "carry gun" when speaking and just a few fewer key strokes when typing when you consider the need to press the caps key. Plus its meaning is obtuse to those who aren't the "cool kids". Making these threads less accessible to new shooters.

Ex - I was CCWing my CCW going to get my CCL when I got a DUI. But its ok. I was operating operationally.
You should not have to replace the firing pin every 1000 rounds... that’s ridiculous, that just proves that you really don’t trust the 365...and I don’t blame you

Very interested in trying a CZ 75 PCR. Might be selling my G19 to a friend and if so, I'll try to find a PCR to try before getting one.

I wouldn't trust the P365. Especially not if I had to replace the firing pin every 1000 rounds. If there's one thing a carry gun needs to have, it's utter reliability.

For me it's G19 (for now), or Makarov. The LCP II gets a lot of pocket carry time as well depending on the day's events...it's as light as my wallet. Heavy jacket weather means the P226 comes out sometimes, too.

It would be cool to try carrying my S&W Model 15 revolver but in the end if you are selecting a carry gun more for the lols or to be contrarian, you're doing it wrong. I'd rather put myself in the best feasible setup to save my life vs. being able to brag about carrying something exotic.

I like the 365, but not enough to buy one. Glock 19 is still my pick for a CCW piece, but I do have a G43 for flip-flops and board shorts carry.

I really like my Glocks. I carry a G19 often, but I still carry a Shield 2.0 9mm more than anything else. The P365 is nice, but it is too small for me. I'd like to add a G30S and a CZ or two to my EDC list. If someone wants a P365, I still think wait a year or two and they will be all over the place for sale at fairly low prices. More or less like the Shield is now. The 365XL is interesting, but again it's a newer Sig, and reliability will be questionable.

The best carry gun is the one you shoot well and is reliable, Whether it has 5 rounds or 10.
I use to be all hung up on capacity, im over it.
If I can shoot accurately, I won't need capacity. I'm not providing cover fire with my carry gun. It's only to get the scum bag away from me or off me. If I need to provide cover fire, then I'm in a world of shit anyway and will be looking for a rifle.

The best carry gun is the one you shoot well and is reliable, Whether it has 5 rounds or 10.
If I can shoot accurately, I won't need capacity. I'm not providing cover fire with my carry gun. It's only to get the scum bag away from me or off me. If I need to provide cover fire, then I'm in a world of shit anyway and will be looking for a rifle.
I look at my carry pistol as a tool to fight my way back to a better weapon. I REALLY like my 640 (5 shot in 357) because it nestles in a jacket pocket, pants pocket, IWB, and my palm. So I am always comfortable with it.

You should not have to replace the firing pin every 1000 rounds... that’s ridiculous, that just proves that you really don’t trust the 365...and I don’t blame you

What you said is ridiculous. I have absolute faith in it. IF the striker is changed every 1000 rounds.

I used to fly airplanes. Some parts are changed on "time" in other words, you change it after X number of hours regardless of its condition. Think of it like that. That didn't mean I didn't have faith in my airplane.

What you said is ridiculous. I have absolute faith in it. IF the striker is changed every 1000 rounds.

I used to fly airplanes. Some parts are changed on "time" in other words, you change it after X number of hours regardless of its condition. Think of it like that. That didn't mean I didn't have faith in my airplane.

How many firing pins have you change in your other firearms after 1k rounds?

All of a sudden changing parts in firearms to maintain operation is ok, at least on a Sig.?
Cleaning is the only thing anyone should have to do.

Last edited:

I don't know, I expect if I'm ever in a shooting situation, my accuracy will go out the window. At the range nobody is shooting back.

I know most here think the idea of having a piston operated Ar15 is just more maintenance and more parts to break, basically just a nuisance from what I've discovered over the years here.
But now parts changing is acceptable on certain firearms. ?

I don't know, I expect if I'm ever in a shooting situation, my accuracy will go out the window. At the range nobody is shooting back.
Exaclty, so If I suck at the range, I'll be even worse during a stressful situation.
Therefore I'm going to keep shooting and carrying the gun I'm most comfortable with.

How many firing pins have you change in your other firearms after 1k rounds?

All of a sudden changing parts in firearms to maintain operation is ok, at least on a Sig.?
Cleaning is the only thing anyone should have to do.

Most of us NESers just shoot 50 rounds and put the gun up in the classifieds.

Most of us NESers just shoot 50 rounds and put the gun up in the classifieds.

So that makes it acceptable for sig to make a gun that needs a firing pin every 1k rounds?..lol.
Would if it breaks before 1k rounds, how do I know it wont break it the wrong time. ?
That's absurd. Sig apologizers.
All I know is, if that was Glocks issue. There would be threads dedicated for how bad Glock has gone down the shit pipe. And youd be the guy to post it.
So the 365 is that magical where parts maintenance is acceptable...lol

So that makes it acceptable for sig to make a gun that needs a firing pin every 1k rounds?..lol.
Would if it breaks before 1k rounds, how do I know it wont break it the wrong time. ?
That's absurd. Sig apologizers.
All I know is, if that was Glocks issue. There would be threads dedicated for how bad Glock has gone down the shit pipe. And youd be the guy to post it.
So the 365 is that magical where parts maintenance is acceptable...lol

I’m not sure I’m getting that from his post. All guns have wear and tear items.

Many Ferraris require an engine-out service every 15K miles to change belts and some other things, but that doesn’t stop people from buying them. Think about the maintenance on the old air-cooled Porsche 911s. Not a direct analogy, but wear and tear happens.

Is 1,000 shots too few? Yes, in my opinion, but it’s not like every 365 is being sent back for an “engine out” service either.

As far as Sig fanboys and Glock fanboys, that’s a Ford/Chevy debate that no one wins.

I’m not sure I’m getting that from his post. All guns have wear and tear items.

Many Ferraris require an engine-out service every 15K miles to change belts and some other things, but that doesn’t stop people from buying them. Think about the maintenance on the old air-cooled Porsche 911s. Not a direct analogy, but wear and tear happens.

Is 1,000 shots too few? Yes, in my opinion, but it’s not like every 365 is being sent back for an “engine out” service either.

As far as Sig fanboys and Glock fanboys, that’s a Ford/Chevy debate that no one wins.

We arent talking about ferraris. We are talking about carry guns that are made for self protection when that time comes. They are designed to be affordable and reliable. Honda civics and Toyota Camry of the gun world.
Not until the 365 was it acceptable to change firing pins as normal maintenance on a carry weapon. And now the 365 is categorized as a Ferrari in the pocket carry gun market??
Is it well known to change certain parts at certain intervals, as low as a 1k rounds in firearms?

This is good stuff...lol

We arent talking about ferraris. We are talking about carry guns that are made for self protection when that time comes. They are designed to be affordable and reliable. Honda civics and Toyota Camry of the gun world.
Not until the 365 was it acceptable to change firing pins as normal maintenance on a carry weapon. And now the 365 is categorized as a Ferrari in the pocket carry gun market??
Is it well known to change certain parts at certain intervals, as low as a 1k rounds in firearms?

This is good stuff...lol

I didn’t liken the 365 to a Ferrari. I merely stated that other types of “tools” can be a pain in the rear to maintain. Don’t try to read between nonexistent lines. I even note it’s not a direct analogy, but that the focus of wear and tear is ubiquitous in all tools.

I shot the 365 for the first time last night. I was looking for a concealed carry gun last Christmas and picked up the Springfield XD-S 3.3. I shot them both back to back last night. The 365 felt like a smaller gun and I found it a bit more accurate than the XD-S 3.3. Both will get the job done very well at 7-10 feet.

Back
Top Bottom