P229 or P220

I'm torn between these two great firearms...I am really partial to the .45ACP round at the moment. However, I have a chance to obtain a P229 in .40cal for a decent price. I will someday own both, but am having trouble making the decision of which one I'd like to own first. I need some help to push me over the edge. BTY my carry gun is a P245.

What do you want to do?

Another carry gun with a different caliber but has another three round capacity? P229.
A full size gun for HD chambered in the same caliber? P220.

I've always fancied the P245, but the low capacity is a big drawback, IMHO. I'll probably end up getting one though... [wink]

Both are great guns. Caliber aside- they are obviously different sizes- the 229 grip is a little chunky and the 220, although only a single stack is quite big. Which feels better in your mitts? Both are plenty accurate from my perspective. If you wanted another carry gun the 229 probably is better IMO (plus you already have the 245)... you may be able to find some preban mags for the 229 still... they are tough to find though.

I'm not too picky on the size. Sigs seem to fit in my mitts well. I think I am looking for accuracy. I am very accurate with the P245 and want something just as good. Will I get that from a Sig .40 cal?

As for the high-capacity, I like that feature as well.

I am inclined to think that the P220 potentially is more accurate than the P229 simply because the .45 ACP tends to be inherently more accurate (some may disagree). My sensing in your post is that you really are a "45 man" and that acquiring the P229 is merely an opportunity, so I'd say wait and get the P220 when you can afford one. You already have a very decent carry gun in the P245, so why go with another caliber that you don't like as well as the .45?

I personally like the P229 very much and carry one frequently, but that doesn't mean it is the right choice for you.

Mark L.

I would go for a P229 in .40S&W over a P220 for concealed carry but that's just me. I do have a P229 in .40SW and would however like to get a P220 someday.

If you've already got the P245 for a concealed carry, what does the P229 offer, except the need to buy another caliber ammo?
Seems like the P220 gives you diversity where it counts (gun type/frame size) but not where it doesn't (ammo).

I've done 1" groups at 50' with both... that's the best I can do. Point is they aren't target guns but both should be plenty accurate! I have smaller hands and couldn't quite get used to the 220ST so I sold it. Damn good gun though. Both are good guns.

I am inclined to think that the P220 potentially is more accurate than the P229 simply because

of the sight radius on the full size P220. Since you have the P245 there's no reason to get any of the compact P220's. That leaves the this comparison between the compact P229 and a full frame P220.

One consideration for going with this P229 over a P220 is if the P229 is a non-rail non-cutout used model. Anything new you can get in the state retail, for either design, will likely have a rail and the cutout loaded chamber indicator. If you particularily would prefer a non-rail version or the P229 you have an opportunity to get doesn't have the cutout, that gives it an availability premium over a new P220.

Thanks for the relevant information and opinions in this thread. I have a feeling that I will make a decision sometime on Saturday. Of course I should have both. However, the budget can only see one squeezed in this month.

Back
Top Bottom