• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

P226/P229 .22 conversion owners question??

Just received my .22 conversion in the mail. Can't wait to try it out. So out of the package and installed I really like the sights, also how much lighter it is versus the centerfire. Well my question and it's no big deal. Is your mag a bit loose side to side? One thing I'm not a fan of is there's is no load assist button on the mag. but on the flip side at the price of ammo it's probably a good thing that it a slow loader. All in all I'm very happy with this purchase. Just hope it shoots a well as my Mosquito.

I don't recall my P226 conversion magazine being all that loose, it might not be exactly snug but nothing to the point that I would have said offhand "mine is loose too." Mine is a 9mm P226 though, I seem to recall someone saying the .40 cal frames are a little more generous in the magwell.

Consider getting the "sigpower" replacement followers. Neither will enable the slide lock, but the aftermarket followers will help keep you from dry firing on an empty chamber as the slide jams on the follower. Dry firing this kit will supposedly damage the barrel over time. Hope this helps!

I bought one for my 229 and have shot thousands of rounds. I have four mags for the conversion kit and never noticed. (Just checked and all of them are loose side to side). Worry only if it malfuctions when shooting the gun. Make sure the FIRST FIVE HUNDRED rounds are CCI Mini Mags for the break-in then switch to Federal Bulk.

I bought one for my 229 and have shot thousands of rounds. I have four mags for the conversion kit and never noticed. (Just checked and all of them are loose side to side). Worry only if it malfuctions when shooting the gun. Make sure the FIRST FIVE HUNDRED rounds are CCI Mini Mags for the break-in then switch to Federal Bulk.

I'm using one with my 229, I have no issues with the Mags, I did the 500 + rounds of minimags and have
switched to remington cheapo. stove pipe or not firing about 10% of the time.

Rich

mine is a little loose, no worries. I had to shoot 75-100 rounds to break it in, got occasional ftf's until then, then flawless.

Thanks I work 12 hour night shift but this thing is going to the range in the morning. I'll sleep when I'm dead. I have thousands of .22 rounds in CCI mini mags,federal bulk and tons and tons of Remington Yellow Jackets. That's what runs through my Mosquito. Does it have to be run wet or normal lube?

Last edited:
Well cleaned the slide and oiled it then as suggested racked the slide a few hundred times. Then cleaned the rails and reoiled and proceeded to run about 500 flawless rounds through it today. I was holding off on selling my Sig Mosquito ( also excellent gun) but no more. I'm loving this 229 and also the .22 conversion.

Back
Top Bottom