• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

P226 Failure to Feed

Hi--

Yesterday I took my new sig 226 out and put 300 rounds through it with my brother, cousin, and uncle. There were a few (maybe 5) failures/jams. The jams happened on the 8th or 9th round of the magazine. I thought it was a fluke after watching so many rave youtube videos of the gun. I took the gun home cleaned it and re lubed it. I put Milcom25 or whatever comes with the gun on the rails and hoppe's elite gun oil on the barrel and everywhere else that needed it. Took it out again today and on the first magazine it jammed on the 8th round. This happened from there on out for both factory magazines. I wanted to throw my gun down in anger!

Has anyone encountered this? I'm a new gun owner so maybe i'm doing something wrong?! Any thoughts or advice is appreciated.

Matt

Same magazine?

Don't throw it in anger.

Good grip on it?

Some of the more knowledgeable guys will be along shortly I guess.

Sig changed to an American made mag. I forget the name of the company. The mags were either made in Italy by Mec-Gar or in Germany until this change. I have heard that the newer mags could by problematic. Don't know if that's your problem. If you could try out a different brand of mag that would be good. Whatever, if you can't remedy the problem you'll need to call Sig customer service.

I would try another mag, perhaps someone can let you borrow a known good one to test. I've never experience a FTF with the P226.

Sig changed to an American made mag. I forget the name of the company. The mags were either made in Italy by Mec-Gar or in Germany until this change. I have heard that the newer mags could by problematic. Don't know if that's your problem. If you could try out a different brand of mag that would be good. Whatever, if you can't remedy the problem you'll need to call Sig customer service.

I've experienced issues with the newer mags. The mags didn't seat quite right and would cause issues. The quality of the new mags sucks too - I have Mec Gars (which cost less too BTW) that have 10k rounds through them, while I just broke the entire plastic baseplate of the cripple mag on my Sig mag after 2k.

I'd try replacing this first.

The magazines that came with a friends 226 are all horrible. He can't get the 10th round into half of the new ones, but all his older prebans work like a charm.

Ye Gads another horror story about Sig. Get some Mec Gar Mags muy pronto. Also too, some guns require a break-in period, but this is probably a magazine issue. Sorry you have had problems.

If the problem ends up being the mags be sure to let Sig customer service know. Maybe if they get enough complaints they'll go back to the Mec-Gar mags. In any event, they will owe you two mags that work. Don't let them off the hook.

If the problem ends up being the mags be sure to let Sig customer service know. Maybe if they get enough complaints they'll go back to the Mec-Gar mags. In any event, they will owe you two mags that work. Don't let them off the hook.

Damn, you're an optimist. While I don't doubt that they might replace the mags, I can't see them going back to Mec-Gar just because of customer complaints, but then again, I'm jaded and have generally lost faith in most firearms companies to be consistent. They seem to rise and fall, take two steps forward and one step back, change management, go down the tubes, then get back on track, only to falter again.

Last edited:
It sounds like as the mag empties, you are having a nose dive or something similar. Is it always on the 8th or 9th round?

check the spent brass for scratches. or remove the barrel and see if the round goes in and out easily. if not run a brush through there a few times and recheck. i had an issue like that a while back and that fixed it.
if the round fits in too snug it wont cycle correctly.
my 2 cents.

I have a slight problem with my p226. I fed it a steady diet of mostly sellier & bellot 115gr fmj, but also Speer lawman 124gr and Remington umc w/o problems. I tried to load Remington golden saber 147gr, and it gets hung up in the locking block. I load the mag, pull the slide back, release it and it gets stuck. I don't "ease" it forward either. I also tries to lock the slide, load the mag, and hitting the slide release with the same results. I havent shot em yet bacause I was using them for home defense, but am not convinced. Is anybody else having this issue with this ammo? Idk if they would cycle and I don't want to be in the heat of the moment and find out the hard way.

Does it do it with other ammo? Is your P226 new or an old one?

Usually 226's eat nearly everything, so this is kind of out of character.

-Mike

It's new, I does eat everything I've thrown at it with out a problem, but picked up a box of those Golden sabers, and they don't chamber. I tap the mag, and it goes into battery

I mean it's been 100% reliable at the range. No failures whats so ever, but thd golden saber don't agree with the sig. I notice the bullets are very diffrent in the sense of the design/ shape.

You said when you tap the mag it goes into battery, try loading 1less round in the mag and give it a go

I see where your coming from, but I believe I shouldn't have to do that. I will give it a try with one less round in the morning. Other hp work good like the Pdx-1, like I mentioned before, maybe it's the bullets design. Does anybody else have experience with this perticular ammo. Remington golden saber 147 gr NOT bonded ammo?

Let me start this with one caveat, I have shot a LOT of 40 and 357SIG rounds from my 226.

In that time, I have found that there are several bullet profiles that do not feed properly. I have used Truncated Cone bullets that feed every time but also have some that occasionally do not feed.

It is NOT the gun or mags it is the bullet design. Some are not sized properly, some have sharp edges, some factory rounds are loaded a little long. Some brass has a thicker case head.

Yes, a carry gun should feed anything (In a perfect world) but this is not a perfect world. The best way to figure what is happening is proper explanation of the actual failure. Is it hanging on the ramp? Is it nose diving and not leaving the mag? Is it climbing the ramp and catching on the hood? Is it going into the chamber and not fully seating?

All things are different problems. Some mag, some bullet, some brass, some ammo design. As a shooter, you will need to diagnose your problems and see what the cause is.

Example: I have some ammo that was purchased and the bullet design does not work well in my Sig. BUT, the design also did not work in a STI. The manufacturer agreed they were bad bullets and took care of the problem so I am using these up in practice.

So, figure out what the rounds are doing, figure out how to solve the problem, and solve it. If it is only one brand/type of ammo, stop using it. If it is many types and brands, get the mags or gun fixed. If you were closer, I would let you borrow some mags but you are at the other end of the state from me.

Back
Top Bottom