• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

P&R as background check?

tuna

NES Member
This is for NH.

My church wants anyone that deals with kids to have a background check done. They're willing to reimburse the fee for us, we just bring in a receipt.
The problem is, our town won't do it, so we need to go to the State Police barracks, which is about an hour away and the fee for the check is $25.

The form says who I'd be releasing the info to, does anyone know what info is in a background check that would be done? Does my church get every traffic ticket I've gotten? Do they get all the times I've been arrested for drug dealing but it could never be proved? Or do they just get convictions?

If they just get convictions, would it be the same if I went to the local PD and got a Pistol license for $10? It's two hours less driving and saves the church money.

Does anyone see any holes in my argument? My church is very conservative, and I don't see anyone arguing about getting gun permits, especially when it is simpler.

Hah you should try getting security clearance from .gov. I signed off my life to them for a job. Even my current employer runs a background check every year. Goodness knows what they are looking for.

I swear on the day I die there will be an entire filing cabinet filled to the limit with background checks. 100 years after I'm dead the only proof that I ever lived will be that filing cabinet filled with background checks lol.

If you're worried about what's in your background check then run one on yourself. Only once I was allowed to see my own background check. They checked several difference courts for various kinds of records. If you have a CWOF then who knows if it shows.

These are the times we live in, most activities that involve other people children require some short of background check.

It’s a cover your a** syndrome, if something should happen they can say we did a background check.

Again, given the times, although my kids are all adults now, I would appreciate a background check on who’s with them, does not prevent the unthinkable but it helps.

I wouldn’t worry about traffic tickets, badge of honor, speeding tickets sell cars, “See look I told you she can get up to 149 mph, I have proof”

Surely someone here has done the state police form- it’s required for all sorts of things including the Sig academy I believe. Hopefully someone with a non-conviction pipes up.

I just looked at the state police form and it discusses requesting by mail. You could do that, first to request it for yourself to see what is there. And then request again by mail with a notarized Section 2 to release to the church.

Yes that would cost you $25 extra but then you know what is there for the future.

Gosh, the MA iCORI system is way easier. I guess we have more demand for it, more Karens and more criminals.

Background checks for people who work around children and even general employment aren't new. I had to do them for 15 years to coach my kids in sports. Generally, they are looking for criminal convictions and anything that might suggest you are a risk to children (think district court records and sexual offender registries). I run them today for employment purposes. No one cares about speeding tickets and even arrests don't surface to me.... Nor do I care about those. I think there are more expensive ones that might show more but I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

OK - I thought I was clear, but I guess I wasn't. I'll stop trying to be funny.

I have no problem getting a background check. I had a TS clearance for 26 years from the time I was 17. I'm a current federal employee. I think that anyone that wants to work near kids should be made to have a background check, and fed into a woodchipper if it turns out you're a diddler trying to get next to kids again.

What I DO NOT like, is driving for hours for a 20 minute fingerprint and form session, I've got better things to do with my time. Town Hall, where we'd get our pistol licenses is literally next door to the church.

So, would being able to present a shiny new P&R license count as passing a background check? Or would the State Police form have info that might lead someone to think "this guy is a dirtbag and should never be near kids, but we can't prove it". If the end result for both is just looking at convictions, it would be way easier to get the P&R for everyone and be done with it. If there is more info in the State Police report, then I'm cool with getting that.

Also, this isn't just for me. There's going to be a dozen or so people doing this, I'm trying to make things easier on everyone.

My wife worked as an aide in public schools in NH and had to get one to be hired and periodically afterwards. Everyone working at the schools needed it.

Background check for a P&R is looking for things that make you a PP, ie felony convictions, domestic violence misdemeanors and restraining orders.

The state child worker check will look for things like that, but is mainly for sex offender checks- if you are on the sex offender registry for urinating in public, that won't make you a PP so it won't show up on a P&R check. But it will be found on the SP child check. Edit- it may show up on the P&R check, but since it doesn't make you a PP, you would still get a P&R.

It's certainly a requirement the church has to follow for their insurance, like any place that works with kids has to do these days. Insurance will insist on the SP check.

Further edit to add- You may want to check with the local school system to see how they are getting this done, since the issue is getting fingerprints might make sense to see if theres an alternative place that could do it (nearby police or county sheriff's office) that can take the fingerprints to send them along.

Last edited:
You need a background check for Sig classes???? LOL

Although, I guess with no pistol permit required in NH anymore. . . . OK, I could see that.

Hah you should try getting security clearance from .gov. I signed off my life to them for a job. Even my current employer runs a background check every year. Goodness knows what they are looking for.

I swear on the day I die there will be an entire filing cabinet filled to the limit with background checks. 100 years after I'm dead the only proof that I ever lived will be that filing cabinet filled with background checks lol.

If you're worried about what's in your background check then run one on yourself. Only once I was allowed to see my own background check. They checked several difference courts for various kinds of records. If you have a CWOF then who knows if it shows.
Depends on who is conducting the background check and for what reason. Many if not most background checks are really credit checks to make sure you will not be a financial liability to an employer. If you are deep in debt and can't or won't pay your bills, some employers may be concerned that you may end up becoming desperate enough to embezzle company funds or steal merchandise.

Depends on who is conducting the background check and for what reason. Many if not most background checks are really credit checks to make sure you will not be a financial liability to an employer. If you are deep in debt and can't or won't pay your bills, some employers may be concerned that you may end up becoming desperate enough to embezzle company funds or steal merchandise.

No they definitely run criminal background checks, not just at the time of hire, but every year. This way if I commit a crime I might be a liability for the company and poof easy fire. That's why I suggested if one wants to know then maybe ask if you can see it or run one on yourself.

My wife worked as an aide in public schools in NH and had to get one to be hired and periodically afterwards. Everyone working at the schools needed it.

Background check for a P&R is looking for things that make you a PP, ie felony convictions, domestic violence misdemeanors and restraining orders.

The state child worker check will look for things like that, but is mainly for sex offender checks- if you are on the sex offender registry for urinating in public, that won't make you a PP so it won't show up on a P&R check. But it will be found on the SP child check. Edit- it may show up on the P&R check, but since it doesn't make you a PP, you would still get a P&R.

It's certainly a requirement the church has to follow for their insurance, like any place that works with kids has to do these days. Insurance will insist on the SP check.

Further edit to add- You may want to check with the local school system to see how they are getting this done, since the issue is getting fingerprints might make sense to see if theres an alternative place that could do it (nearby police or county sheriff's office) that can take the fingerprints to send them along.

The church will almost certainly be required to keep the actual background check on file. A scan of your P&R will not suffice for their insurers, etc.

Thanks - these are the answers I was looking for. Not the answers I wanted, but oh well.

Thanks - these are the answers I was looking for. Not the answers I wanted, but oh well.
Sadly, this kind of stuff is about checking boxes.

Because it does present a hardship to get a dozen volunteers to take an afternoon off work to go to the SP barracks, maybe the church can get someone to come to them to do the fingerprints? If everyone shows up with completed forms, it should take similar time to getting your P&R and get everyone done in an afternoon.

Is your church requesting both a NH and FBI CHRI background check? Because I don't think the NH State one requires fingerprints.

At least that's the way I read it here:

No they definitely run criminal background checks, not just at the time of hire, but every year. This way if I commit a crime I might be a liability for the company and poof easy fire. That's why I suggested if one wants to know then maybe ask if you can see it or run one on yourself.
You might want to pull a copy of your credit report from Equifax, Transunion and Experian. You are entitled to one free report from each company per year. Many companies do what is called a "soft pull" as part of a background check. A soft pull does not harm your credit rating.

Is your church requesting both a NH and FBI CHRI background check? Because I don't think the NH State one requires fingerprints.

At least that's the way I read it here:

I'm thinking this is the case. The local police can't do the digital fingerprints (preferred), which is why we're going to the State Police.

So much for making things simple.

Thanks all.

It’s a CORI check in Mass. I had to do it for work for a year when an Italian HS student was brought in.

When her parents came at the end of her stay to pick her up I was asked to bring them to the club to experience American gun ownership. They thought it was great (through an interpreter of course) and talked about it for years.
I’m sure I’ll never be forgotten in a very long time. 😂

RAP BACK is the most dangerous one in terms of jeopardizing a job or career. I feel sorry for those employees (and Hawaii gun owners) who are forced to participate in it.

You might want to pull a copy of your credit report from Equifax, Transunion and Experian. You are entitled to one free report from each company per year. Many companies do what is called a "soft pull" as part of a background check. A soft pull does not harm your credit rating.

I can run credit reports on myself any time I want. I have free lifetime identity theft protection courtesy of the US government when China broke into OPM in 2011 and stole the list of people with security clearances. I was impacted by that. So I generally check my credit report every month just for yucks. The ID protection goes a lot deeper. They mine for emails and passwords on dark web sites and let me know if there is a potential risk. It's actually a good ID protection. I even got informed by them when Equifax was broken into compromising my credit even farther.

Announcer voice-over: "For only $25 dollars, we will perform a Background Check..."
Me, for knowing what the Cops know about me: "Priceless..."

RAP BACK is the most dangerous one in terms of jeopardizing a job or career. I feel sorry for those employees (and Hawaii gun owners) who are forced to participate in it.
Should be called "RAT BACK"...

Back
Top Bottom