P.O.S. Jesse Ventura suing SEAL sniper Chris Kyle's widow

Serapis

Navy Veteran
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I've seen the claims but I also never seen any of them actaully proven untrue.

Some of those claims might be a result of PTSD as well

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you please explain? Maybe a cite?
Several of Chris Kyle's stories have been proven false.

The police department in the town that Kyle supposedly shot two robbers in has no record of such an event. There are also no witnesses, or evidence. You don't shoot two people dead without the police at least making a note of it.

Same with the looters...no records, witnesses, or evidence of it ever happening.

Jesse Ventura proved Chris Kyle lied about their whole interaction. If i remember correctly, he was able to prove that he was not anywhere near that bar at the time the alleged confrontation happened.

I'm sure a quick google search will find the articles on Kyle's embellishments.

I didn't read the book, but from watching the movie I want to believe that Kyle was a good guy, but there is some shit that just doesn't add up with several of his claims.
I have no doubt he was a good guy. He also was proven to have lied about several things.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were his 160 confirmed kills confirmed? Or were those also lies?

I am asking because just about every military man I have ever met was somewhere between 'he can spin a yarn' and 'he is full of shit'. I knew one guy who told everyone that he was shot in the chest with a .357 magnum three times. He lived, obviously. And he had no scars due to outstanding plastic surgery. He was a good old boy, and when you were on post with him, he would just tell stories the whole time. It was entertaining for a while, but after the 100th time, man, you really wish he'd make up some new stuff. This guy did some pretty wild stuff on his numerous(fictitious) deployments, but none of it was confirmed.

WRT Ventura, I don't recall the book mentioning him. Not that I care. But it makes me wonder how he can claim a share of profits from the book, unless the linkage is implied.

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
this thread is about POS Jesse suing, not who had served his country the best or who is a better character. Chris's record on telling stories isn't exactly perfect. The lawsuit is about defamation against Kyle's estate. If defamation took place and damaged was caused, POS or not, estate will be on the hook for some dough. I doubt that Jesse will be drinking champagne as most of his money will go to attorney's fees and I'm sure that at this stage that's the only thing that motivates this lawsuit. Lawyers will need to be paid.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
this thread is about POS Jesse suing, not who had served his country the best or who is a better character. Chris's record on telling stories isn't exactly perfect. The lawsuit is about defamation against Kyle's estate. If defamation took place and damaged was caused, POS or not, estate will be on the hook for some dough. I doubt that Jesse will be drinking champagne as most of his money will go to attorney's fees and I'm sure that at this stage that's the only thing that motivates this lawsuit. Lawyers will need to be paid.
How exactly does standing up for your name and reputation after someone else falsely states that you made a bunch of anti-American claims make someone a POS?

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Were his 160 confirmed kills confirmed? Or were those also lies?

I am asking because just about every military man I have ever met was somewhere between 'he can spin a yarn' and 'he is full of shit'. I knew one guy who told everyone that he was shot in the chest with a .357 magnum three times. He lived, obviously. And he had no scars due to outstanding plastic surgery. He was a good old boy, and when you were on post with him, he would just tell stories the whole time. It was entertaining for a while, but after the 100th time, man, you really wish he'd make up some new stuff. This guy did some pretty wild stuff on his numerous(fictitious) deployments, but none of it was confirmed.

WRT Ventura, I don't recall the book mentioning him. Not that I care. But it makes me wonder how he can claim a share of profits from the book, unless the linkage is implied.
160 were confirmed, 255 from his notes. Book publisher dropped the passage from the book.

As bikers use to say "the older I get, the faster I used to go"

- - - Updated - - -

How exactly does standing up for your name and reputation after someone else falsely states that you made a bunch of anti-American claims make someone a POS?
POS is the title of this thread. I don't know much about Jessy so I reserve my judgement.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does anyone have any new info on this ?
I looked up but only came up with old articles.

Is he really going to take 1.8M from a widow ?
Chris Kyle's widow is appealing the verdict. From what I've read and in following the case somewhat, I think she has a very good case. For one the decision was BS and secondly, how the heck is Ventura's reputation damaged? The guy is crackpot nut. The incident was a nothing in the book, it was meaningless.

If you've seen Ventura talk about various things and this case in particular, you know he is as big an arse as there is. Ventura would walk over a dead kid to take $5 from the mother. He's that much of a POS.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Chris Kyle's widow is appealing the verdict. From what I've read and in following the case somewhat, I think she has a very good case. For one the decision was BS and secondly, how the heck is Ventura's reputation damaged? The guy is crackpot nut. The incident was a nothing in the book, it was meaningless.
Okay, that's what I was looking to hear, that there's going to be an appeal. And personally, I hope she wins.

I cannot go into Kyle Vs. Ventura because there's such a huge amount of hearsay that it's just above me.

But I'm sure about one thing, Kyle's wife should be just left alone with the estate, if Ventura has 1oz of honesty in him, which I hope he does, once the man that punched you (or not) and defamed (or not) gets shot dead, you let everything go. period. end of story.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0

If you've seen Ventura talk about various things and this case in particular, you know he is as big an arse as there is. Ventura would walk over a dead kid to take $5 from the mother. He's that much of a POS.
I'm not a big Ventura fan, he's a whacko, but how was his reputation not damaged by this? After the book came out but before he filed suit, there were threads allover the internet about what a piece of shit Ventura was, and if this never happened, it was undeserved.

- - - Updated - - -

But I'm sure about one thing, Kyle's wife should be just left alone with the estate, if Ventura has 1oz of honesty in him, which I hope he does, once the man that punched you (or not) and defamed (or not) gets shot dead, you let everything go. period. end of story.
By doing that, he'd basically be saying that it happened. Maybe you could see it as him just being a decent guy, but most people would not.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Also, as far as him not being a SEAL, he was UDT. At the time, both went through the same BUDS. Don Shipley has said he was just as much a Seal as anyone else and if he wanted to call himself a Seal, he had no problem with that.

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
No, he's going to take $1.8M worth of fraudulent book sales from the estate of a proven liar.
This article seems to lay out what happened pretty well:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...chris_kyle_told_lies_about_jesse_ventura.html

Chris Kyle, author of the runaway best-seller American Sniper, was a military hero who killed 160 people during his four tours of duty in Iraq and is now the subject of an Oscar-nominated blockbuster. He was also a fabulist. Before his tragic murder in 2013, Kyle told a number of extremely dubious stories. In one tale, Kyle claimed he killed two carjackers at a gas station southwest of Dallas, and that his driver’s license directed local police officers who questioned him to contact the Department of Defense. Kyle also claimed he traveled to post-Katrina New Orleans with a sniper friend, set up his gun atop the Superdome, and picked off dozens of armed looters.

The 160 kills are confirmed by the Pentagon. But there are absolutely no records of, or witnesses to, the latter stories. They are, perhaps intentionally, unverifiable. But it wasn’t these fantastical tales of vigilante justice that got Kyle into legal trouble. It was another, much less exciting story*one that wasn’t just unverifiable, but verifiably false. That tale, conveyed in a mere three pages of American Sniper, has put Kyle’s widow on the hook for $1.845 million in damages. And it may soon make Kyle’s publishers wish they approached the veteran’s claims with great deal of skepticism.

Kyle’s legal difficulties emerged from a subchapter of American Sniper titled “Punching Out Scruff Face.” In it, Kyle describes beating up a former Navy SEAL (“Scruff Face”) after the SEAL claims American soldiers deserved to die in Iraq. Early drafts of the book identified the SEAL as Jesse Ventura, former governor of Minnesota and famed professional wrestler, but Kyle’s publishers removed the name for fear of a lawsuit. Nonetheless, in a radio interview following the book’s release, Kyle admitted that “Scruff Face” was Ventura, and he repeated the claim soon after on The O’Reilly Factor. American Sniper shot to the top of Amazon’s best-seller list, becoming a smash hit for its publisher, HarperCollins, selling more than 1.5 million copies by July of 2014.

There was, however, a problem: The Ventura story wasn’t true, and Ventura meant to prove it. So he took Kyle to trial, suing him*and, after he died, his estate*for defamation and unjust enrichment. In the United States, defamation cases are extremely difficult to win, thanks to the First Amendment. When allegedly defamatory statements pertain to a public figure, the plaintiff mustn’t just prove those statements were false. He has to prove the defendant made those statements with “actual malice”*that is, knowledge that they were false*or with “reckless disregard” for their falsity. Very few defamation plaintiffs can make it over the high bar of actual malice.

Ventura made it. On July 29, 2014, a federal jury returned from six days of deliberations to award Ventura $1.845 million in damages*specifically, $500,000 for defamation and about $1.345 million for unjust enrichment. (In other words, Kyle unjustly profited from defaming Ventura, and so his estate must give Ventura some of that money.) Kyle’s widow, Taya Kyle, promptly filed for “judgment as a matter of law,” asking the trial judge to reverse’s the jury’s verdict because the jury clearly got it wrong. Failing that, she asked for an entirely new trial. The judge denied both requests, defending the jury’s verdict as legally and factually justifiable. Kyle’s widow is currently appealing the decision; her odds of winning appear quite low.

All of this presents a very big problem for HarperCollins.

For the Kyle family, then, the legal tribulations surrounding American Sniper are probably wrapping up, and Taya Kyle will likely pay some damages but walk away from the affair with many millions of dollars left to her name. (HarperCollins’ libel insurance, in fact, will cover her defamation damages.) But for Kyle’s publisher, HarperCollins, the nightmare is just beginning. Several months after the verdict against the Kyle estate, Ventura brought another lawsuit for unjust enrichment, this time against HarperCollins. The lawsuit explains that while Kyle is the one who defamed Ventura, HarperCollins played up those defamatory statements in order to boost its sales*and with reckless disregard to the truth of Kyle’s claims.

This suit is the second of Ventura’s one-two punch, and from here, it looks like a knockout. During the first trial, Ventura’s attorneys uncovered records of HarperCollins’ negligence in fact-checking Kyle’s book, as well as evidence that HarperCollins specifically touted the Ventura story to drum up publicity. Kyle’s ghostwriters spoke with only one person who claimed to have witnessed the fight, a friend of Kyle’s who told a different version of the story that lacked Ventura’s offensive remarks. No one from HarperCollins contacted Ventura or his representatives to verify the story. And though Kyle claimed Ventura appeared at a SEAL graduation afterward with a black eye*where “everybody was laughing” and asking “Who beat the shit out of him?”*HarperCollins never asked a member of the graduating class whether they saw Ventura’s injury. (A photograph from the event shows a clear image of Ventura*with no black eye.)

It gets worse for HarperCollins. Despite the tenuous source of the Ventura story, HarperCollins quickly saw it as a publicity gold mine. After Kyle identified “Scruff Face” as Ventura in a radio interview on The Opie & Anthony Show, HarperCollins editor Peter Hubbard wrote in an email that the publicity from the story was “priceless.” HarperCollins publicist Sharon Rosenblum described the Ventura kerfuffle as “hot hot hot,” immediately arranging for Kyle to retell the tale on The O’Reilly Factor. Sales of American Sniper*which, up to that point, were fairly modest*spiked dramatically, apparently in conjunction with interest in the Ventura story. After the O’Reilly appearance, Ventura publicly denied Kyle’s accusations. Yet Rosenblum arranged for Kyle to tell the story again on The Opie & Anthony Show, and HarperCollins printed several new editions of the book that still featured the “Scruff Face” section. (It was finally removed after Ventura won his suit.)

Pete G

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much of Ventura's lawsuit is based on the book vs based on what Kyle said on the radio. Before I read the book, I had heard the story about Kyle punching out Ventura (did not know whether it was true or not). At least in my copy of the book, it seemed to only refer to the person he supposedly punched as "scruff face," and "a well known former seal." It did not seem to directly say it was Ventura (I was actually looking for it at the time because I had heard the story prior to reading the book).

Later after reading the book I heard the story about Kyle shooting two robbers who tried to steal his truck. The whole thing sounded quite suspicious to me immediately: two idiots attempt to steak a truck from one of the most lethal men on the face of the planet and get shot in the process and it wasn't reported by any major news source? A quick google search of that story led to a few others and it seems Kyle was imperfect like the rest of us and had a tendency for bending the truth. I see why he got sued. I also suspect his wife will be fine after the suit, the book was a big success and the movie is an even bigger success. This does nothing to diminish the exemplary manner in which Kyle served his country. He was a brave hero and warrior, but also human.

JCV

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Mehh, read the book, saw the movie.
He told a few white lies in the book, none of which made the book any better and none of which take away from the things he has done for this country.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I guess anyone interedted in this story should read the above link, or this snip from it.

For the Kyle family, then, the legal tribulations surrounding American Sniper are probably wrapping up, and Taya Kyle will likely pay some damages but walk away from the affair with many millions of dollars left to her name. (HarperCollins’ libel insurance, in fact, will cover her defamation damages.) But for Kyle’s publisher, HarperCollins, the nightmare is just beginning. Several months after the verdict against the Kyle estate, Ventura brought another lawsuit for unjust enrichment, this time against HarperCollins. The lawsuit explains that while Kyle is the one who defamed Ventura, HarperCollins played up those defamatory statements in order to boost its sales—and with reckless disregard to the truth of Kyle’s claims.

This suit is the second of Ventura’s one-two punch, and from here, it looks like a knockout. During the first trial, Ventura’s attorneys uncovered records of HarperCollins’ negligence in fact-checking Kyle’s book, as well as evidence that HarperCollins specifically touted the Ventura story to drum up publicity. Kyle’s ghostwriters spoke with only one person who claimed to have witnessed the fight, a friend of Kyle’s who told a different version of the story that lacked Ventura’s offensive remarks. No one from HarperCollins contacted Ventura or his representatives to verify the story. And though Kyle claimed Ventura appeared at a SEAL graduation afterward with a black eye—where “everybody was laughing” and asking “Who beat the shit out of him?”—HarperCollins never asked a member of the graduating class whether they saw Ventura’s injury. (A photograph from the event shows a clear image of Ventura—with no black eye.)

It gets worse for HarperCollins. Despite the tenuous source of the Ventura story, HarperCollins quickly saw it as a publicity gold mine. After Kyle identified “Scruff Face” as Ventura in a radio interview on The Opie & Anthony Show, HarperCollins editor Peter Hubbard wrote in an email that the publicity from the story was “priceless.” HarperCollins publicist Sharon Rosenblum described the Ventura kerfuffle as “hot hot hot,” immediately arranging for Kyle to retell the tale on The O’Reilly Factor. Sales of American Sniper—which, up to that point, were fairly modest—spiked dramatically, apparently in conjunction with interest in the Ventura story. After the O’Reilly appearance, Ventura publicly denied Kyle’s accusations. Yet Rosenblum arranged for Kyle to tell the story again on The Opie & Anthony Show, and HarperCollins printed several new editions of the book that still featured the “Scruff Face” section. (It was finally removed after Ventura won his suit.)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Taya Kyle will likely pay some damages but walk away from the affair with many millions of dollars left to her name. ​(HarperCollins’ libel insurance, in fact, will cover her defamation damages.)
This is what I think of every time some mouth breather manages to string together some sort of sentence along the lines of how this "bad bad man" is targeting that "poor helpless woman" and taking her house away and leaving her penniless.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not a big Ventura fan, he's a whacko, but how was his reputation not damaged by this? After the book came out but before he filed suit, there were threads allover the internet about what a piece of shit Ventura was, and if this never happened, it was undeserved.

- - - Updated - - -

By doing that, he'd basically be saying that it happened. Maybe you could see it as him just being a decent guy, but most people would not.
Because he had no reputation to harm. If someone trashes OJ Simpson with lies, is his reputation harmed? You need to have something to harm and Simpson nor Ventura have a reputation. Ventura claims his stupid tv show on conspiracies on a low tier cable station was cancelled because of this. No, it was cancelled because it was stupid, ventura is an unlikable tool and had horrible ratings.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Slate is a real sheety source. I believe some of their writers are trashing the military and American Sniper ala Michael Moore this week. It's a liberal rag and the writer in the post above is obviously biased as he opines numerous times. It's not a factual piece, it's a opinion piece more than anything.

HarperCollins publicist Sharon Rosenblum described the Ventura kerfuffle as “hot hot hot,” immediately arranging for Kyle to retell the tale on The O’Reilly Factor. Sales of American Sniper*which, up to that point, were fairly modest*spiked dramatically, apparently in conjunction with interest in the Ventura story.
Uh, maybe they spiked because of the massive publicity from being on the highest rated show on cable news. No sheet the sales spiked. I bet the sales spiked for lone survivor, etc. after appearing on major shows. Heck the sales for lone survivor and the AS book have increased over the past week due to the focus on these types of stories. The interest was for the book as a whole, not a few pages. What makes AS book and movie is the story of Chris Kyles life, not a throw away paragraph about a washed up loon.

And Chris Kyle was on the today show and many other media venues to promote his book. The sales increased with the increase in marketing it. Only Ventura, who thinks the world revolves around him, thinks he had anything to do with the sales of the book. Look at the movie, nothing about Ventura, it's all about Kyle and it's a massive hit.

Last edited:

EJFudd

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Chris Kyle's widow is appealing the verdict. From what I've read and in following the case somewhat, I think she has a very good case. For one the decision was BS and secondly, how the heck is Ventura's reputation damaged? The guy is crackpot nut.
Okay, that's what I was looking to hear, that there's going to be an appeal. And personally, I hope she wins.
As I understand it, the verdict and award were upheld: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/nov/26/judge-rejects-kyle-widows-request-for-new-trial/

Perhaps the widow has other options? I just don't know. [thinking]

And yes, Ventura *is* a crackpot nut.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As I understand it, the verdict and award were upheld: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/nov/26/judge-rejects-kyle-widows-request-for-new-trial/

Perhaps the widow has other options? I just don't know. [thinking]

And yes, Ventura *is* a crackpot nut.
That article mentions the judge who heard the case refused to allow a new trial. That isn't surprising, he held the trial, allowed the evidence and testimony and if he thought the verdict was unjust, he would have set it aside the day of the verdict. The appeal is ongoing and it's not settled.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is what I think of every time some mouth breather manages to string together some sort of sentence along the lines of how this "bad bad man" is targeting that "poor helpless woman" and taking her house away and leaving her penniless.
Kyle's widow says the insurance only covers $500k. And yeah, that piece of sheet dragged her up to MN for several weeks, and many depositions and other meetings, etc. instead of her taking care of her kids and healing from Kyle's murder.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2014...esse-Venturas-defamation-award/4981419620802/

So yeah, Ventura is scum and should not have continued to sue the estate/widow. He's also taken shots at Taya Kyle and is generally an a hole. She isn't broke but Ventura certainly continued the raw pain she has from the murder and Ventura could not care less that he continued and added to that pain. The woman is still crushed at her lose (of Chris) and dealing with some loon is the last thing she needed.

I guess you miss his loony show, huh?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't imply that Kyle's widow won't be hit by the award in Ventura's lawsuit.
Was it the quote I selected from the article, which you still have in your reply, about how she'll "likely pay some damages" that made you think that was what I was implying? Perhaps the "millions of dollars left to her name" part was confusing.

Hoover said:
I guess you miss his loony show, huh?
Nope, never seen it. I'm not into bad TV.

ISOTOX

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
N of the Rebublic. SE of Alba and W of Ling Ling
Was it the quote I selected from the article, which you still have in your reply, about how she'll "likely pay some damages" that made you think that was what I was implying? Perhaps the "millions of dollars left to her name" part was confusing.

Nope, never seen it. I'm not into bad TV.

And welcome, Walmart shoppers.....

Last edited:

EJFudd

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
If I misinterpreted the point of your post, I apologize.

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think everyone needs to accept that we had two POS's in this case. Ventura is everything that everyone says about him -- at least the things that are true. And Kyle was just as despicable.

Top Bottom