Oxford Chief: Consider allowing teachers to carry

JJ4

This chief should be commended for saying this in public. I'm considering sending him a polite note of support.

Oxford police chief favors arming schoolteachers

Chief Saad said he is not adverse to licensed, competent, capable, trained individuals who are teachers carrying a firearm in school.

“I don’t believe all teachers should,” Chief Saad said. “If they’re not comfortable with it, they absolutely should not. But you might have someone who is a proficient, firearms-trained person already in the school. I don’t know.”

Selectman John G. Saad said there is always a danger that a child or an adult with bad intentions could take a weapon away from an armed teacher.

“Just having another weapon in that facility makes me nervous,” Selectman Saad said.

Chief Saad disagreed.

“All these events, the majority of the times, when the police are responding, we’re just cleaning up the mess. It has already occurred,” Chief Saad said. “To have some force in the school to prevent it, should it happen, I think is paramount.”

Police Chief Anthony P. Saad
Selectman John G. Saad

Not a common last name so I am guessing brothers?
They each seem to have opposing views

Good for the Police Chief for at least mentioning it - if in NJ he would have been put on suspension and ordered to have a psych interview

The chief is exactly right and anyone who thinks otherwise IMO is an idiot.....

not saying it needs to be teachers but good guys/gals with guns need to be there already or as the chief said earlier they are just going there to clean up the mess.

"That man is with a gun at your door wanting to get there at your kids. What are you going to do? Throw a desk at him? ... That person needs to be stopped.”

Most teachers are oxygen thieves to begin with. But even they should be allowed to carry.

Those who chose not to can know that their idea of "making a difference" is as much a lie as half the BS that they teach.

“If they’re not comfortable with it, they absolutely should not. But you might have someone who is a proficient, firearms-trained person already in the school. I don’t know.”

Sounds like he might know someone personally in the school he would deem qualified.

T&G Surveying police chiefs now:
Central Mass. police chiefs disagree on armed teachers

upload_2018-3-5_0-15-1.png

On Wednesday, Auburn Police Chief Andrew J. Sluckis Jr. said the schools would be a “much safer” place if there was an armed teacher — or “an armed anyone” he added Friday — on the premises.

“I would absolutely support arming any school employee that was willing and capable,” Chief Sluckis said. “The bullet coming from a gun, whether it’s a school teacher’s or a custodian’s is no better or less powerful than the one that I have.”

Chief Sluckis said communities need to be proactive in protecting schools.

Remember to vote in the poll: Facebook poll: Should teachers carry a firearm?

T&G Surveying police chiefs now:
Central Mass. police chiefs disagree on armed teachers

View attachment 224421

On Wednesday, Auburn Police Chief Andrew J. Sluckis Jr. said the schools would be a “much safer” place if there was an armed teacher — or “an armed anyone” he added Friday — on the premises.

“I would absolutely support arming any school employee that was willing and capable,” Chief Sluckis said. “The bullet coming from a gun, whether it’s a school teacher’s or a custodian’s is no better or less powerful than the one that I have.”

Chief Sluckis said communities need to be proactive in protecting schools.

Remember to vote in the poll: Facebook poll: Should teachers carry a firearm?

Impressive to have even one who isn’t afraid of showing their cards.

> “What would happen if I was that teacher who accidentally killed a student?” Mr. Lamarche said. “The scenario is unbelievable.”

That would be a tragedy but it's better than watching as the shooter kills your students one by one as you hide under your desk in your classroom... Hopefully with training, it reduces that risk. No scenario will be without problems.

Can SOMEONE get on that telegram.com page and comment? Such a bunch of know-nothings there. They really need some education about freedom and liberty, and that guns are not for hunting.

In FLA, it passed today as law . Teachers and school staff can and will be armed.

Training and funding approved.

They didn’t poll any sheriffs or drag their feet in finally protecting their students.

The school shootings will stop in Fla.

The gun free zone states will continue to lose lives.

I was kind of hoping more chiefs would come forward. GOAL should be reaching out to chiefs with support and to help them word their statements. I could guess a LOT of Western Mass chiefs would be favorable, and probably at least a half dozen more from Central Mass.

Last edited:
In FLA, it passed today as law . Teachers and school staff can and will be armed.

Training and funding approved.

They didn’t poll any sheriffs or drag their feet in finally protecting their students.

The school shootings will stop in Fla.

The gun free zone states will continue to lose lives.

Finally Florida is doing what celebrities and politicians have been doing for years, protecting their families with people that are armed.

So, it has been almost a month.

The other side has now had rallies and protests.

What has happened by our side to move forward on anything? We have some good people sticking their necks out to help. Has GOAL or NRA or GOA or anyone moved forward to engage these people, find other like-minded people, and actually bring this to fruition?

Just wondering.

If nothing else, does anybody know of other towns which might consider this idea? I have a couple things in mind. If someone else is interested, PM (or is it DM?) me.

> “What would happen if I was that teacher who accidentally killed a student?” Mr. Lamarche said. “The scenario is unbelievable.”
It's called breakage, and unfortunately, goes with the territory. It's no different that arguing one should not have MDs doing cardiac bypass operations because a patient dies once in a while.

I would really support repealing the gun free zone laws. I think in some cases the rest will work itself out.

Tantasqua school board member fine with arming teachers

STURBRIDGE – A Tantasqua School Committee member said that if a Parkland, Florida-like shooting ever took place at Tantasqua Regional High School, the human carnage would be done before any police could arrive.

In addition, the same school committee member said teachers who are properly trained and licensed to carry firearms should be allowed to bring guns to school for protection of themselves and students.

School board member William J. Gillmeister of Brookfield made the statements Wednesday at the monthly school committee meeting during a 12-minute discussion about school resource officers, which Tantasqua does not have. The topic wasn’t on the agenda, and the discussion ended with a vote on a motion to reach out to the police chiefs of the five towns in the school district.

Mr. Gillmeister referenced the mass shooting Feb. 14 at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. Seventeen people were killed.

“Parkland happened in six minutes. It would take at least six minutes, if not more, for a police officer from Sturbridge or possibly, closest would be Brookfield, to make it to this school and then it’s done. And I am very concerned about that,” Mr. Gillmeister said. “In my opinion, there is no way that police officers in our five communities can get here quick enough to stop a tragic event from happening here at Tantasqua.”

He said, “I feel if we have individuals and staff that are licensed to carry and if they have proper training that we should actually consider allowing those individuals, if they so choose, and with proper training and, of course, proper policies would need to be implemented and developed, for this type of a program.”

School board member Daniel Valcour of Brimfield called that proposal “insane.”

article continues...

Insane not to allow it.

Each and every person who opposes the possibility of armed teachers likely contradicts themselves. I don’t understand how one can argue I favor of leaving 20 kids in a room, alone, with someone they don’t believe is competent enough to simply carry a pistol.

Back
Top Bottom