• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Owl vs. owl: Should humans intervene to save a species?

No.

I guess that changes to Maybe if we really need the losing species, or if we committed some grave but reversible injustice that caused the problem in the first place

The AP is garbage. Whole article is wringing its hands over climate change but doesn’t actually attribute the owl problem to climate change.

The AP is garbage. Whole article is wringing its hands over climate change but doesn’t actually attribute the owl problem to climate change.

No, it doesn’t.

The whole article was about one owl out naturing another owl. But I suppose it’s easier to just ignore the article and claim it’s about something it isn’t on the basis you dislike the source. That’s rather illogical, guy.

No, it doesn’t.

The whole article was about one owl out naturing another owl. But I suppose it’s easier to just ignore the article and claim it’s about something it isn’t on the basis you dislike the source. That’s rather illogical, guy.

Did you read the article? Sure I’m exaggerating by saying the article was entirely about climate change, but it goes out of its way to invoke it as irrefutable fact in a story that has nothing to do with it.

Starting with the first in-story ad:
Restoring landscapes and species in a world damaged by climate change. Explore AP's in-depth series: What Can Be Saved

Then this:
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service experiment, which began in 2015, has raised thorny questions: To what extent can we reverse declines that have unfolded over decades, often due partially to actions by humans? And as climate change continues to shake up the landscape, displacing species and altering how and where plants and animals live and thrive, how should we intervene?

and this later in the story:
“It’s going to be very common with climate change,” Harris said. “What are we going to do — pick and choose the winners?”

So your against coyote hunting in principal?
I've killed many a nuisance critter when I was living on the farm. Coyote, crow, woodchuck. Really it's the mindset that bothers me. Protecting the herd from predators is the farmers job. The lazy farmer petitions the government to kill every single coyote on his behalf so he doesn't have to mend his stock fence and keep guard dogs or guard mules. The occasional killing of a couple coyotes is just an unfriendly reminder to the coyote population that this area is dangerous. Please find food elsewhere.
As for the spotted owl, those little f***ers have been dying off for decades and nobody actually knows why. Many many years ago when I was in HS, it was the logging operations that were destroying its habitat. So I did old fashioned research for a class project and this was back before AL Gore invented the internet so good research was work and plagiarizing a Boston Globe article meant a failing grade. Come to find out, only like 2% of all the land in Oregon is logged or developed at any one time. So 98% is still available for the spotted owl to habitate. Why is it dying off? My research comes to the conclusion that it's just a sensitive little shit and nothing anybody does can save it. But that doesn't make a good headline and doesn't sell copies of National Geographic.
To call the barred owl an invasive species is just plain irresponsible. Humans are the invasive species. If the "nature lovers" really want to save the planet, humans need to go.
And the spotted owl is still going to go extinct because it is weak and the dominant species is going to dominate. Selected by nature.

Hold on. We didn't move Barred Owls to the PNW? They just found their way there? (Much like how coyotes found their way to New England.).

And the seals on the West Coast eating salmon, we didn't import those either, right????

So what we want is to maintain what someone (or someones) believe is the "right" balance of biodiversity? Not letting Mother Nature take her course but to alter it to adhere to what WE want to see.

Wow. So much for conservation.

Back
Top Bottom