• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

OWB Carry in Warm Weather?

Quality clothing helps. Duluth makes a variety of nice short sleeve shirts that are heavier material, but still breathe well in heat and are longer.

I'm partial to Caarhart but that's just me [smile]

To expand on what others have said, a tucked undershirt with an untucked button down does the trick even for pretty large guns.

Have to 2nd the Crossbreed.

The Crossbreed is a great IWB holster. Its comfy and conceals great. I used one today to carry my Glock 19 around in MA with just a black T shirt over it.

BUT

Its nowhere near as comfy as an OWB. If your dress or build allows you to conceal an OWB, or don't really need to conceal, then go OWB. Thats how I carry the G19 in CT.

Don

Had no one heard of Hawaiian shirts?

IWB sucks for me. I dont like it, i don't do it.

A loose fitting shirt does the trick for owb. Hawaiian shirts are great because the pattern hides any bulge from the gun. Even a plain shirt is OK, because people don't notice things.

I think I'm going to go with oversized t shirts and dress shirts with a flat bottom and stick with OWB. Besides, if I get clothes at the "urban" clothing store, I'll be in gangsta style.

IWB sucks for me. I dont like it, i don't do it.

A loose fitting shirt does the trick for owb. Hawaiian shirts are great because the pattern hides any bulge from the gun. Even a plain shirt is OK, because people don't notice things.

I love Hawaiian shirts. And yes. You could conceal a Desert Eagle under one.

Maybe it's just me but... Every time I read these "open carry" discussions I always remember what an old friend (police lieutenant, 'Nam vet, and "street vet", etc) told me years ago and I've never forgotten it, to "Always try to think like a criminal - since there's so friggin many of them on the planet".... and imagine you are a lowlife looking around a convenience store/bar/liquor store bank/etc etc with full, absolute intent on getting the $$ now, today, at this moment, no matter what. Even if in your high/demented/evil state of mind that means having to kill someone today.... and as you're casing the place, about to draw, you notice a citizen who is open carrying....Where/who are your first couple of shots gonna be aimed at?

I know, I know, there's the "deterrent" factor where the scumball MIGHT wet his drawers seeing that someone else besides the owner or barkeep might have a weapon, but,for me, the element of surprise works pretty well in life. And nothing is more "surprising" than to be - unexpectedly - staring at the gaping muzzle of a .45 in the hand of some dude you thought was just in the store to buy the paper and a pack of smokes. Hence, I carry IWB, pocket, ankle.... and sometimes "all of the above" [emoji6].

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me but... Every time I read these "open carry" discussions I always remember what an old friend (police lieutenant, 'Nam vet, and "street vet", etc) told me years ago and I've never forgotten it, to "Always try to think like a criminal - since there's so friggin many of them on the planet".... and imagine you are a lowlife looking around a convenience store/bar/liquor store bank/etc etc with full, absolute intent on getting the $$ now, today, at this moment, no matter what. Even if in your high/demented/evil state of mind that means having to kill someone today.... and as you're casing the place, about to draw, you notice a citizen who is open carrying....Where/who are your first couple of shots gonna be aimed at?

I know, I know, there's the "deterrent" factor where the scumball MIGHT wet his drawers seeing that someone else besides the owner or barkeep might have a weapon, but,for me, the element of surprise works pretty well in life. And nothing is more "surprising" than to be - unexpectedly - staring at the gaping muzzle of a .45 in the hand of some dude you thought was just in the store to buy the paper and a pack of smokes. Hence, I carry IWB, pocket, ankle.... and sometimes "all of the above" [emoji6].

This thread isn't about open carry? [thinking]

I love Hawaiian shirts. ....

I recommend the Hawaiian shirt. Comfortable, light and one size larger than you usually wear with an OWB carry.

Yeah, but only if you want to stick out. I'd feel like I was always on my way to a Hawaiian party, and that everyone was looking at me because of my shirt.

Hawaiian style doesn't mean flowers and doesn't have to be silk. A quality shirt goes a long way. I also go appendix carry with either a GLOCK 27, 43 or a S&W 642. Then again depending on the shorts the 43 or 642 in the pants pocket.

Basically I don't want to loose too much comfort however I'll eventually have to loose the "cover garment" once it gets above 75 degrees, which in my case is a hoodie over a t shirt.
75 degrees? I thought this thread was about warm weather [wink]. In all seriousness though, I really feel like you're underestimating how easy it is to conceal a firearm carried OWB. I can conceal a HK P2000 in a pancake leather OWB holster with no problem at all just by wearing a casual button down shirt or polo shirt.

Back
Top Bottom