OWB Carry in Warm Weather?

Been carrying the Browning Hi Power I bought recently for a week now in a Galco OWB holster. I like carrying it this way and it's comfortable.

How do you all OWB carry though once the weather is too warm for a hoodie or jacket?

I live in a college town and I'm a college student. I prefer to not be thrown out of college or tazzed.

Don't go on school grounds and if they tazz you ...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Just where a shirt that reads "fu3k your feelings"

Then you should stop OWB carrying, get a Crossbreed Supertuck and wear long shirts.

FYI, I OC all the time in Keene, several time a week. No one bats an eye.

Then you should stop OWB carrying, get a Crossbreed Supertuck and wear long shirts.

FYI, I OC all the time in Keene, several time a week. No one bats an eye.

I'm not trying to be confrontational, but do you OC on Keene State and in Keene State classrooms?

No, I'm not a student and have no reason to go on campus. But I do OC on Main Street, in restaurants there, in the Co-op, etc, etc.

If you don't want people seeing your gun, there is zero reason you should be OWB carrying.

I've been OWB carrying all winter with an untucked flannel, but that's just because I've put on a few lbs. and I can't IWB. [laugh]. Bigger pants or looser shirts and I should be GTG in the summer. I like it better, especially while driving.

I usually owb carry, even in pretty warm weather. For me, as long as my tshirt is one size larger than I might normally wear i can conceal a sw shield or g19 just fine. I do this in mass with only a small amount of reservation and if I was in nh I wouldn't care at all. As far as carrying on a college campus in nh, I can't comment on how the law might look upon this practice or having a gun at all.

While you can certainly conceal OWB, it sounds like you are looking for a better deeper concealment based on your situation. OWB doesn't really suit that. I carry almost exclusively OWB but IWB when I really don't want anyone catching a glimpse, with colleges specifically at mind.

While not illegal, when people planned to OC at Plymouth State it started a shitstorm of moonbattery.
Prior to doing so they were served a court order basically saying if you carry on the public school ground they'd face contempt charges. Total unlawful BS.

So not wanting to be seen carrying despite it being totally legal is a valid concern.

If you don't want people seeing your gun, there is zero reason you should be OWB carrying.

Huh? I can think of at least one.

I can't comment on how the law might look upon this practice or having a gun at all.

Not prohibited by law, but we don't live in a place where that matters much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not trying to be confrontational, but do you OC on Keene State and in Keene State classrooms?

If you are going to carry on school property, then you should probably make more of an effort to conceal. I don't know if NH prohibits firearms on college campuses. (surprise, CT has no law prohibiting you from carrying firearms on campus)

But even if they don't, I'd bet the school has a policy prohibiting it. Which means that you open yourself up to expulsion if you are "made" on campus. So here is how I'd work it.

1) On Campus - concealed means concealed. Either carry IWB or if you don't find that comfortable either get a smaller gun that can be carried comfortably IWB or get a pocket gun.

2) Off campus - carry OWB and just put your T shirt over it.

I don't OC in CT because I normally wear untucked shirts. But I also make no effort to conceal. I'm technically concealed carrying when I carry a G19 OWB but I print like the NY times. For me true OC (an OWB holster and a tucked in shirt) is a pain in the ass. My most comfortable way to carry is OWB with an untucked shirt. Its technically concealed, but not really. I'd never carry this way in MA. But in CT, I do it all the time.

I call it "casual carry". If you casual carry off campus, great. Just conceal when on campus.

Don

While you can certainly conceal OWB, it sounds like you are looking for a better deeper concealment based on your situation. OWB doesn't really suit that. I carry almost exclusively OWB but IWB when I really don't want anyone catching a glimpse, with colleges specifically at mind.

While not illegal, when people planned to OC at Plymouth State it started a shitstorm of moonbattery.
Prior to doing so they were served a court order basically saying if you carry on the public school ground they'd face contempt charges. Total unlawful BS.

So not wanting to be seen carrying despite it being totally legal is a valid concern.

Basically I don't want to loose too much comfort however I'll eventually have to loose the "cover garment" once it gets above 75 degrees, which in my case is a hoodie over a t shirt. I really don't want to ditch the Browning because I specifically bought one because I shoot them very well.

How comfortable are Milt Sparks holsters, like the Criterion, Nexus and Versa Max 2? Assuming I go up 2" in pants size from a 32 to a 34.

Basically I don't want to loose too much comfort however I'll eventually have to loose the "cover garment" once it gets above 75 degrees, which in my case is a hoodie over a t shirt. I really don't want to ditch the Browning because I specifically bought one because I shoot them very well. How comfortable are Milt Sparks holsters, like the Criterion, Nexus and Versa Max 2? Assuming I go up 2" in pants size from a 32 to a 34.

I've purchased a number of expensive holsters, including a VersaMax 2.

I've found that the Crossbreed is more comfortable than any of them.

Basically I don't want to loose too much comfort ... I really don't want to ditch the Browning because I specifically bought one because I shoot them very well.

I understand but you may want to consider making a concession, either in concealability, comfort, clothing or firearm. What are you most concerned with?

I think in your case I would probably just settle for buying bigger shirts to cover it up, plain and simple. I'm personally a button up (casual) shirt guy most of the time, so it would be fairly easy for me to cover it up that way. But if you're just a t shirt kinda guy, then yea...bigger shirts.

I carry owb in summer. High rise leather holster......gets the barrel up higher.......wear dark colored t shirts with "thicker" material helps hide the bulge and avoid printing. After you dress......lift your arms up high while looking in a mirror to be sure the gun does not "peak" out of the bottom of the shirt. Done.

I carry owb in summer. High rise leather holster......gets the barrel up higher.......wear dark colored t shirts with "thicker" material helps hide the bulge and avoid printing. After you dress......lift your arms up high while looking in a mirror to be sure the gun does not "peak" out of the bottom of the shirt. Done.

Quality clothing helps. Duluth makes a variety of nice short sleeve shirts that are heavier material, but still breathe well in heat and are longer.

Back
Top Bottom