• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Overwhelmed by upper options for my NES Lower

Left the Communistwealth for Live Free or Die!
Well, I finally decided what to do with my NES Lower. I bought a 2nd Generation Night Vision Scope to make a night-time coyote hunting rifle for hunting the night season in Maine, chambered in .556.

I am looking for a COMPLETE upper, scope-ready (weaver) but there are so many options, manufacturers and prices, I just don't know what to choose. I would say my maximum potential range needed based on the terrain near my place in Maine is about 150-200yds. A 200 yd shot being VERY rare. Most likely shots would be between 100 and 150yds. I have a stock M&P 15 with a nice traditional scope on it and a 16" barrel that is very accurate. However, it does not have a muzzle break and my Bushy does and it does make a difference to have the muzzle break in terms of decibels and recoil, though the recoil is not really bad either way compared to my 30-06. deer hunting rifle. I also wonder how long of a barrel I should get.

It seems most varmint uppers don't have a muzzle break and I often wonder why. My budget for the upper would be up to $600.

Do any of you have any suggestions based on your experience and my needs? I haven't shopped for AR-15 parts in a couple years so everything just seems new to me again.

Thanks in advance.

so I;m assuming the link to the night vision scope is not the one you have because it would seem silly to have a $600 budget when you've already spent over $4000 in optics.

I just ordered a 20 inch rock river kit whole package was $739 shipped upper stock and buffer assembly and lower pack incising national match 2 stage trigger had I already shot it I could tell you more but looks like a very good deal! Hope this helped

I don't think a "bull barrel" is what a coyote hunter wants. Too heavy for hauling and swinging around quickly.

so I;m assuming the link to the night vision scope is not the one you have because it would seem silly to have a $600 budget when you've already spent over $4000 in optics.
That link was put there by SkimWords, a thing that inserts adds into web pages, supposedly based on context. Clearly it didn't work correctly here.

White Oak, end of story

Heck yeah. If their varmint uppers are as good quality as the service rifle uppers (I'm sure that they are), then you absolutely can't go wrong. They have a bunch of options right around the $600 mark.

To the OP, make sure you get the right twist rate for the bullet weight/length that you intend to shoot. if you are going to be shooting the 40-45 grain rounds, 1:7" will be too fast and can actually result in the bullet breaking apart in flight.

Last edited:
You want:
flat-top upper
free-float tube (the round ones are simple and work great)
probably a stud on the tube for a bipod
barrel length of 16"-20"
1-9 or 1-8 twist

Basically a "varmint upper" from any of the better manufacturers.

My neighbor got a 1st Gen NV scope for his birthday in October. We set him up with pretty much what I just described. It was a 24" Stag barrel we cut down to 18" and recrowned. No muzzle device. Flash at night was almost non-existent.

Heck yeah. If their varmint uppers are as good quality as the service rifle uppers (I'm sure that they are), then you absolutely can't go wrong. They have a bunch of options right around the $600 mark.

To the OP, make sure you get the right twist rate for the bullet weight/length that you intend to shoot. if you are going to be shooting the 40-45 grain rounds, 1:7" will be too fast and can actually result in the bullet breaking apart in flight.

Definitely worth watching out for.

On a 24" varminter, I don't think anyone offers 1 in 7" - velocities are high enough out of those barrels that 1 in 8" or 9" will give similar rpm to 1 in 7" in the shorter barrel. WOA offers varminters in fast (1 in 7" or 8", for heavy bullets) and slow (1 in 12", for light bullets) and lengths from 16" to 24". I don't know what ammo you use for 'yotes though.

Back
Top Bottom