• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Oversized Finished Cartridge.

Neptune Cat

NES Member
I've been reloading .45 ACP on a single stage RCBS with RCBS dies.

I check the brass after resizing and all is well. However, after seating the
bullet the brass seems to get very tight about 2/3 of the way into the
chamber. Am I doing something wrong? what can I do to correct this?

It doesn't seem to take much force to seat the bullet (I know there is a huge
mechanical advantage on the press). Is the bottom of the case bulging?

I initially had some minor problems with my RCBS setup at home, but all I did was crank the crimp up a bit and it cured it. (I use what is likely a similar setup to yours... I have the rock chucker supreme and RCBS carbide .45 ACP die set. )

Also, when resizing make sure your resize/decap is set so that the shell holder will actually kiss the bottom of the die so that it will resize as far as it can go. (you probably already did this, though).

If your brass is badly damaged, you might need an EGW "U" die to get it
within specs, but if these cases gauge fine after a resize it could be just a
crimp issue. In my case I found I wussed out on the crimp too much... [laugh]

FWIW seat and crimp doesn't take that much force most of the time, you'll just feel a little
resistance, if any.. Sometimes you will note this resistance to vary especially if using mixed brass... some of
it is more out of spec than others.

-Mike

Last edited:
Your problem can be caused by too little or too much crimp.

Too little:

crimpnone.gif

Too much:

crimpsevere.gif

Last edited:
Check your crimp die for built up bullet lube if your using cast/lead bullets. I set my crimp die up in this fashion,take a sized case and bring it up to the top of the ram's travel
with the bullet seater out of the die screw the die in till it touches the case mouth lower case and turn die in 1/8 of a turn and lock it. That should give you a nice crimp without over crimping.

Back
Top Bottom