Overhead Wires Question

Cut or call

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tuna

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
It’s me, Mr Safety Seventh. Mr “Eff it, let’s see what happens”.

Apparently, I don’t really have a death wish, despite driving on bald tires and swimming right after eating.

Anyway, a branch on our tree fell and landed on the wires to the house. It looks about 30 pounds, if that and is dead and dry, with most weight supported by a branch below. I grabbed my pole saw and was going to cut close to the wire so the branch would fall off to either side. Then I had a thought of EVERYONE saying never to do this.

52133668-EFC5-4989-9307-D967D9018B56.jpeg

I’d hate to call the power company and look like a wimp over something that’s really nothing. But I know almost nothing about electricity.

So. Literally trusting you guys with my life. Do I snip it, or call a pro? I’ll let this poll run a couple days and see how it turns out.

Just so you know, some of you will be taken much more serious than others.

Uzi2

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Its 240vac on the lines.

If you can cut from the ground with a pole saw and it will fall free, have at it.

I had branches that were encroaching in my service drop when selling my house. The buyers wanted them trimmed away.
So called a couple of places and I got prices of $300-500 to clear them. I said you people are out of your f'ing minds, its six small 2 inch diameter branches. Threw my fiberglass ladder up, trimmed the branches with a pole saw, lower to higher and was done in 30 minutes.

Asaltweapon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I remember a guy who was killed suspending a telephone cable with a voltage cable by a rope. The telco cable was in the way of his excavator boom.

How do you determine the condition of the insulation? Asking for your family members.

gscott

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I worked for a power company for years . I wasn't a linesman and am not a doctor but I know electricity will stop your heart from working quicker then shit and you'll never know it . Why chance it call your electric company

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
I’d hate to call the power company and look like a wimp over something that’s really nothing. But I know almost nothing about electricity.

So. Literally trusting you guys with my life. Do I snip it, or call a pro? I’ll let this poll run a couple days and see how it turns out.

Just so you know, some of you will be taken much more serious than others.
Look like a wimp? You look like a retard right now saying you want to use a pole saw near a electric line dude.

the weight of that is probably not an issue. Make the call to the company, it's their problem and they are paid to maintain the lines.

fencer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
How old is that wire? If the insulation on the wire is intact you will be fine.

Electricity is always looking for the shortest path to the ground. If the branch is charged and you ground it you will get poked. Less if the pole is fiberglass, more if it's wood. And it's not volts that kill you, it's amps.

new guy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I’ve seen bumper stickers saying that wiring is not a hobby but never one about utility work. Should be fine.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Cover your pole saw with aluminum foil. Stand in a filled kiddie pool. Screw pix - we want video.

Call - it’s their job. Bleep them.

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
With many companies, their responsibility ends at the pole.
For sure. That said is it worth damaging it? The phone is a low DC and the 240 isnt exactly a nightmare, but if he knicks any of that shit its going to be expensive.

240 blew a hole in a 2.5 inch hose I was running and then melted the pavement around for a few minutes. I personally would of preferred if I continued to not touch that. Would it kill me? Probably not. Would it hurt? Holy shit yes. Whats the phone? like 45ish v DC? not a horror show either but if you knick it, again, not going to be fun.

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
There was a loose top wire on a pole near my house. I called eversource and said I wanted to file a "safety report" for a "dangerous condition".

The repair crew was their first thing the next AM. The key is to complain about the danger, not your power delivery issues.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's the pole part of your pole saw made of ?
If it's fiberglass you should be OK, but I wouldn't try it with aluminum.
theoretically, the branch may have enough water in it to be a conductor. And if it is touching a spot where the wire insulation is damaged, you could get the hot foot.

Can you set up on a fiberglass ladder...so at least you are not standing on the ground?

Mr. Brownstone

NES Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Electricity is always looking for the shortest path to the ground. If the branch is charged and you ground it you will get poked. Less if the pole is fiberglass, more if it's wood. And it's not volts that kill you, it's amps.
Electricity takes all available paths back to its source. Transmission lines are grounded and the ground does act as a paralell path back to the source. If you get between an energized source, and the return path, you will get lit up.

Top Bottom