Overcoming Cross-dominance (e.g. right hand/left eye)

Many folks who are cross-dominant find it easiest to shoot handguns with their dominant hand and long guns with their non-dominant hand.

I've never tried that. I can shoot a handgun and poke holes where I want them lefty, I was high left on my rifle though. New rifle, though, so it could be a few things.

Shooting righty just seems weird.

My wife is right handed but left-eye dominant. I've long thought my boy was the same by the way he naturally uses his left eye to look through rifle sights but it's been difficult to instruct him to test it.

We visited the Museum of Science this Saturday and they had an area with all sort of vision experiments you could try. Now I know for sure he's cross-dominant, just like my wife.

First Google hit had a really good discussion on the topic: http://www.northcarolinasportsman.com/details.php?id=519. It would appear that the best way is to teach a young person to shoot with left hand.

I'd love to hear from the NES folks your own experience of overcoming cross-dominance.

I would suggest you visit the Brian Enos Forum and read. There is a great deal of info there on this topic from world class shooters.

Many folks who are cross-dominant find it easiest to shoot handguns with their dominant hand and long guns with their non-dominant hand.

This is what I do. I really do not use my right eye in day to day life, as it is much weaker than my left eye (which is 20/20). I have found it much easier to shoot rifles lefty. Much more natural coordination between left eye/left hand with a left cheek weld. I did a ton of reading and it seemed that the vast majority of "experts" recommended that for long guns it's better to use the non-dominant hand. I am sure there's no one size fits all answer.

Jesus, I have no idea what eye is dominate. I just picked up my first gun (left handed), stood in what I later found out was a Weaver stance (or close enough), and have been shooting the same ever since. I guess I should have done research before shooting.

Back
Top Bottom