"Over-scoping" / what's "too much" scope?

Hi all:

To expand on the subject line: I am picking up an Trijicon Accupoint in 5-20x50. I have several guns that I would consider mounting it on, including whatnis basically an SPR clone (5.56 18" free floated match barrel, match trigger,etc...), a Loaded model M1A, and a soon to be purchased bull barreled Remington 700 variant.

Apart from the obvious weight penalties, what is it I don't get about having "too much scope" on a rifle? I get the loss of CQB utility, but that's what mounting a small red dot (RMR) or cantilevered open sights are for, right?

I have an ACOG and an EoTech amd those are fine for what they are intended to do. I'm talking about "true" rifle scopes here.

Another way to put my question may be "why is 'too much glass", well, sometimes too much glass? Why wouldn't I want to always be able to get as close a look at my target as possible, especially out past 500 yards or so?

As always, thanks for your anticipated helpful input.

Steve

Another way to put my question may be "why is 'too much glass", well, sometimes too much glass? Why wouldn't I want to always be able to get as close a look at my target as possible, especially out past 500 yards or so?
Steve

First thing that comes to mind is field of view - the more magnification you have, the less you can see of what's around the target.

Weight and size are also factors.

First thing that comes to mind is field of view - the more magnification you have, the less you can see of what's around the target.

Weight and size are also factors.

And as a result, much easier to lose a moving target at intermediate distances.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Yep... For target shooting and long distance varmint, FOV isn't too much of an issue. But for a hunting rifle (with running game), a 2.5x to 4x scope is plenty at normal ranges (<200 yards).

What are you shooting at 500 yards in New England ??? [thinking]

[grin]Well, most of the time, CMP type long range targets, on private property in very northern New England. But I was hoping this scope would be good for more than just that.

Guys, thanks for the responses so far. Again, this may sound naive, but who then is using such a big piece of glass/for what purposes, apart from, say, ultra long distance competition shooters. In other words, what are the practical applications for a scope as described in the OP?

The rule of thumb I have used is that you need 1x of magnification for every 100 yards of distance you plan to shoot.

This is applied to two and four legged targets.

What this means to me is that if you are shooting at a dude at 100 yards, then irons sights or a RDS will suffice. If you hunt deer (or dudes) at 400 yards a 4x scope will do. Man sized targets at 1000 yards - go for a 10x.

Of course, certain disciplines, specific courses of fire, and disabilities might dictate you use something different.

It is not that you can't do more with less; I've made consistent hits on steel chest plates at 400 yards using a 2.5x IER scope. I probably could have done it at 500, but at that distance the vertical cross wire was obscuring the target and it made precise elevation holdover problematic.

Another issue is more magnification magnifies your wobble. I don't like shooting offhand at any more than 4x and I prefer to do it at 1x. If I'm shooting stationary targets from prone or the bench, I want as much magnification as possible. If I'm shooting offhand or from improvised positions (like in a action rifle or 3 gun match), I don't want too much because of field of view and wobble issues.

Another issue is more magnification magnifies your wobble. I don't like shooting offhand at any more than 4x and I prefer to do it at 1x. If I'm shooting stationary targets from prone or the bench, I want as much magnification as possible. If I'm shooting offhand or from improvised positions (like in a action rifle or 3 gun match), I don't want too much because of field of view and wobble issues.

Good point. I have a 4.5-14 on my 10/22 (Meuller APV) and at 14x, offhand, it's infuriating. Even though you move the same amount no matter how much magnification you're using, actually being able to see the crosshairs drifting all over the target is maddening.

Good point. I have a 4.5-14 on my 10/22 (Meuller APV) and at 14x, offhand, it's infuriating. Even though you move the same amount no matter how much magnification you're using, actually being able to see the crosshairs drifting all over the target is maddening.

Great stuff all around guys, thanks!

So what are scopes like 5-20x50 actually used for?

Long range "tactical" stuff (whatever that means these days [grin])
Super extreme bench rest work ?

Any real world practical uses?

Last edited:
gopher-siting1.jpg

Tiny targets at long ranges.....

Great stuff all around guys, thanks!

So what are scopes like 5-20x50 actually used for?

Long range "tactical" stuff (whatever that means these days [grin])
Super extreme bench rest work ?

Any real world practical uses?

Varminting, as KMM96 said.

The variables can double as spotting scopes at higher magnifications too. I have the same Mueller APV, and I shoot at 4x, and turn it up to get a look at the results.

Back
Top Bottom