• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Over a month and a half on waiting list to schedule interview in MA, still waiting

In very early October I called to schedule an interview, PD told me it was not possible then, and was put on a waiting list to schedule an interview due to October being filled. Called back in early November and they said there was still 7 people ahead of me and I would be LUCKY if they called me back in late November. Is this normal? Have heard that it can take really long for the application to be processed, but never heard of scheduling an interview taking this long.

Ummm, I THINK he is talking about a non-required "appointment" for his MA firearms license.

Clippy, is this a first time application? You SHOULD be able to drop off the application and check. Have prints/pics taken, and then sit back and wait for the license to be processed.

In very early October I called to schedule an interview, PD told me it was not possible then, and was put on a waiting list to schedule an interview due to October being filled. Called back in early November and they said there was still 7 people ahead of me and I would be LUCKY if they called me back in late November. Is this normal? Have heard that it can take really long for the application to be processed, but never heard of scheduling an interview taking this long.

I would call, email and send certified mail to the chief, letting them know that this is unacceptable and that you are going to let the world now of their games.
And GOAL as mentioned above.
Unbelievable.
Which town, if I may ask?

Absolutely not normal, licenses are taking about 3-4 weeks to be processed by the state. Process should take maybe 30-40 days from start to finish to get your card. My town's PD does appointments to stop in and drop off your form and check, mostly so the officer that does the licenses can look it over and make sure you didn't miss something or mess it up, but it's never more than a a couple days to wait for a time to stop by when the licensing officer is in his office.

Ummm, I THINK he is talking about a non-required "appointment" for his MA firearms license.

Clippy, is this a first time application? You SHOULD be able to drop off the application and check. Have prints/pics taken, and then sit back and wait for the license to be processed.

"Applications will only be accepted during your appointment"

And yes, it is my first time application.

Unfortunately, every town is different. And some are better than others. Good luck with sending the COP a certified letter telling him how to run his licensing dept; although it can't hurt to reach out to GOAL so they can keep a pulse on this type of activity. Best advice is to hurry up and wait.

Their application is bizarre, like this bit:

"For naturalized citizens, a copy of your Naturalization documentation."

A passport isn't sufficient?

Comm2a I believe already successfully addressed this in court, but apparently some towns still haven't gotten the clue.

My old town tried to claim I was jerking them around and committing fraud by using a passport and not a naturalization document. I had to spell it out barney style to them that as someone who had a derivative naturalization, I don't have a a naturalization document period.

"Applications will only be accepted during your appointment"

And yes, it is my first time application.
I'd be curious how many they actually issue, just because they do them ALP doesn't mean they don't deny whenever they can. And you can bet your chances of an unsuitable go up if you push them on their extra legal process.

They need a public info request; Over the last 3 years how many LTCs were issued, unrestricted, with restriction(s), denied disqualified under the law, denied based on suitability. They don't like giving out info but they are absolutely required to do so, might try to charge you, but none of the 9 I filed a request with did.

Contact your Town Selectmen and ask what needs to be done about speeding up the licensing process... and then mention it is for an LTC...

Update: called the pd today and still have 3 people ahead of me. Told me they would call back tomorrow to schedule (probably). They said I may have to wait until January for my booking!

Sounds to me like they have a long list of excuses to drag this out till you give up. I would make an appointment with the CoP and ask why?

This whole thing is bullcrap. How long does it take their officer to type some information in on the computer machine? The dumbest cop on the planet should be able to bang out 3/hour. This is nothing other than a way to discourage citizens from obtaining a permit. Sad.

When I did mine it was about 2 weeks to get a call back and the first appointment was 6 weeks out, and I’m in a green town, I had an unrestricted class a in my hands 3 weeks after the interview to the day, I chalked it up to the town being busy, my interview he didn’t even question what I wanted or why I wanted it, he asked if it was ltc or just fid and then asked me to read him all my information so he could type it in lol, waiting to schedule an appointment is ridiculous, the long wait seems like some towns are just busy

Comm2a I believe already successfully addressed this in court, but apparently some towns still haven't gotten the clue.

My old town tried to claim I was jerking them around and committing fraud by using a passport and not a naturalization document. I had to spell it out barney style to them that as someone who had a derivative naturalization, I don't have a a naturalization document period.
Looks like that was only against Boston, and Boston didnt give a sh*t:

Back
Top Bottom