• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Outers Foul Out review

rep308

NES Member
I shoot a lot of lead and cleaning out the lead has always been a major pain. I have brushes, the Lewis Lead remover and they do ok, but I love my Outer's Foul Out. It works on a basic principle that lead has a lower electrochemical potential than steel and without going into the science here it is easy to use.

Clean and remove any oils from your barrel. Put the rubber stopper on one end to make a water tight seal. Pour in either the lead or copper removal solution (electrolyte). Put the stainless steel rod down the barrel, careful not to position it to short the rod to the barrel. Put an O ring on the top of the rod to keep it from touching the barrel. Attach the clip that says "gun" to the barrel (anode) then attach the clip that says "rod" to the rod (cathode). Turn the unit on and wait. I pull the rod out a couple of time in the first hour to wipe off the lead that plates from the barrel to the rod. There is an indicator light that goes off when the barrel is clean. Total time is less than an hour.

I reuse the solution (electrolyte), and immediately clean the barrel with brushes and patches after disconnecting it from the foul out. There is often a lead film that is easily removed with standard cleaning.

The unit runs about $100 and you will be shocked on how much lead come out of your old barrel. There is no damage to the barrel at all. I have not use it to remove copper from barrels, but it should work just the same but may take more time.

They work quite well on copper, with a different solution. I didn't buy an Outers one - the price scared me off, and when I found out it was really just a low voltage DC power supply, and I was working in an electronics shop, I built one. The toughest part was getting the chemicals to make the lead and copper solutions.

I think I've used it on 2 rifles that were heavily fouled with copper and had accuracy issues. Took a couple of runs through the process, but worked fine. I haven't tried it with lead yet, but should work the same.

Scroll down to Electronic Fouling Removal.

The schematic from the same page is a better one than I built.

MassMark - let me know if you have something that needs serious unfouling. I know where you work....[smile]

i have had alot of luck using foaming borecleaner and letting it soak for a half hour and the patchs will come out purple. all i have to do is scrub with a brush and clean with clp then im set to go.

I don't own one of these machines, but I have heard good reviews from friends that do. They use them to remove copper jacket fouling and swear by them. For lead removal a "Chore Boy" copper pad and a decent bore cleaner is a much cheaper solution and just as effective. 99% of my pistol shooting is done with lead bullets so I can speak from experience.

Back
Top Bottom