1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Outdoor solar lighting

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JayMcB, Jan 11, 2019 at 1:51 PM.

1. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

Has anyone gotten any modern outdoor solar lighting they're happy with?

I'd like to add some, but would rather do it right than end up with crap I'll have to replace in a year. 110v isn't anywhere nearby where I want to put it (remote gate with surveillance)

stuff from truelumens.com keeps popping up on my phone when web browsing

2. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

Yes, I bought some at Costco's a few years ago. One on my small front porch comes on reliably throwing light on the stairs (assuming we had some sunlight that day). Every year they sell a slightly different model. I just bought one of the newer models that I'm going to install at my new NH home to cover the top of the driveway so we can see as we drive up at night. Likely BJ's has something similar if you aren't near the Waltham (or heading to Nashua) Costco.

3. Woodsy

Woodsy NES Member

The ones I bought were mid priced on a amazon and are in their 2nd year. I’ve never got more than 3 years out of them.

Could you drop a low voltage line under the grass nearby?

4. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

it's over 600 feet, and not friendly to wiring, so that's a stretch

5. Woodsy

Woodsy NES Member

Yep gonna have to go solar. Good news is they are getting better! They used to last only a year

6. ReluctantDecoy

ReluctantDecoy

Is it the battery that dies or some other part? Only reason I'm asking is because 3 years sounds like the typical life span for a cheap rechargeable battery.

7. Woodsy

Woodsy NES Member

Yeh the battery and I found it was easier to just upgrade as the lights seemed to have gotten brighter over the years in terms of lumens

8. ReluctantDecoy

ReluctantDecoy

Got it. May have something to do with more and more devices switching to LED or using upgraded LED lamps. Should make the batteries last longer as well.

Woodsy likes this.
  9. Chris

Chris NES Member

Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
    Installed this last month.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TOCDXDQ

[​IMG]

Shows a low light all night long and it pops to full bright on movement. Solar is in a good location. Even with the cold, dark days, etc it has not ever been out when I've left the house at 5:30am. No idea how long it might last, but the battery is replaceable.

Can also set it to not trigger on movement and to Only light on movement. Solar, lamp and trigger are all separate. Lamp and trigger attach to solar panel. Trigger cord is shorter than lamp cord. Maybe 25ft for lamp and 20 for trigger. Allowed me to mount lamp up high for a good wide coverage and the trigger down low so it picks up animals as well as cars around the dark corner of the house.

10. Bt74

Bt74 NES Member

I've installed a bunch of MPOW 20 led lights around my house and up my driveway. LOVE THEM! I just ordered 4 more, but I think the ones I have are out of production, as it took a while to find the same ones. The first ones I ordered showed up within a few days, but these last ones are being shipped from Thailhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/192597547948and.
    The link sucks, but I paid less then $10 apiece for this last order. Earlier orders were about $15 each.

11. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

I have an older variant of this light and it and the batteries have lasted well over 5 yrs now.
    Costco Wholesale
    Costco usually puts them on sale for $10 or $15 off this price. Also check Amazon for the same or similar thing to see who is cheaper.