• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Outdoor shooting near Kingston, NH

I live in Kingston off of New Boston Road and can hear gunshots on a regular basis. Can anyone PM me and let me know if there is some kind of pit that I can go to nearby that won’t put me in a compromising situation dealing with the authorities rolling up? I left my club in Greenland as the range just wasn’t big enough for my liking. I’m considering joining major Waldron, but it’s a pretty hefty price for the first year. I know people don’t want to give up good spots because once the secret is out, it could ruin it for anybody that goes there. I just really want a good place to go outside plinking. Any info would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
It sounds like it’s coming from the south-southwest of where I’m located. I’m about a half mile from 125 and about 500 feet from new Boston road. Country pond F&G is a pretty good distance from me. About 2 1/4 miles as the crow flies.

Last edited:
It sounds like it’s coming from the south-southwest of where I’m located. I’m about a half mile from 125 and about 500 feet from new Boston road. Country pond F&G is a pretty good distance from me. About 2 1/4 miles as the crow flies.
I hear local clubs from further than that depending on wind and weather.

I suppose it’s definitely a possibility. Someone had mentioned a sandpit nearby to me that people shoot at, but I wasn’t really too interested at the time because I had a membership back then. Thanks for taking the time to reply. If anybody does have an idea of pits anywhere near Kingston, NH maybe as far as southern Maine, please do let me know by private message. I’m a responsible gun owner and would 100% pick up my mess. It would do me a lot of good right now to be able to get out and go shooting. Just got a Glock 29, 43x, and mossberg shockwave that I’d love to try out. I’d love to get my AR-15 style rifle with scope sighted in too. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Last edited:
I used to live in Newton about the same distance from Country Pond Fish and Game Club as the intersection of New Boston Rd. and Rte. 125. Depending on the weather, the shooting sounded like it was right next door.

I was trying to figure out the location of a hunter who got turned around in the woods without a GPS or compass. Before his phone died, I asked him to fire a shot. I guessed it was a half to a full mile away. Conservation Officers found him over two miles away.

BTW, CPF&G is a great club. I was a member until I moved away. They are serious about safety but pretty laid back about everything else. They did have a waiting list for membership by the time I left.

You cant just find a spot and go shooting in NH?
I live in SE MA normally I can hear gun shots from the surrounding bogs/pits . Last 2 weeks, nothing.
I have a small pit across the street that i could shoot pistol at about 20 yds max. I will at some take a walk over and shoot a few rounds. For now have the pellwwt gun gallery set up at home.

I used to live in Newton about the same distance from Country Pond Fish and Game Club as the intersection of New Boston Rd. and Rte. 125. Depending on the weather, the shooting sounded like it was right next door.

I was trying to figure out the location of a hunter who got turned around in the woods without a GPS or compass. Before his phone died, I asked him to fire a shot. I guessed it was a half to a full mile away. Conservation Officers found him over two miles away.

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised that the sonic boom “crack” could travel farther than one might think. Pretty crazy it can go that far considering all the trees and whatnot that I’d have assumed would deaden the sound a bit. I may have to check out that club once all this is over, I have a feeling the state will crack down on gun clubs at some point in the near future to further curb spread of novel coronavirus. How long is the outdoor range?

Last edited:
You cant just find a spot and go shooting in NH?
I live in SE MA normally I can hear gun shots from the surrounding bogs/pits . Last 2 weeks, nothing.
I have a small pit across the street that i could shoot pistol at about 20 yds max. I will at some take a walk over and shoot a few rounds. For now have the pellwwt gun gallery set up at home.

I’d really like to avoid the possibility of LE coming out and giving me a hard time, so I was asking about the tried and true areas that people might be taking their guns to. I’d like to avoid any confrontations or issues with neighboring residents.

Last edited:

I once got lost in Maine. Fired shot after shot till I ran out of arrows. No one came. Jack.

BTW, CPF&G is a great club. I was a member until I moved away. They are serious about safety but pretty laid back about everything else. They did have a waiting list for membership by the time I left.
There is no wait list at cpfg.

Oh, I forgot to mention, they have an indoor pistol range that doesn't have the shooting hours restrictions that the outdoor range has.
Correct we have an indoor pistol range that is 24/7 unless there is a meeting upstairs. The website is updated perfectly so you know exactly when it's closed well in advance.

Indoor range is 50 feet and up to 44 mag pistol. Rifles chambered in 22lr, 9mm and 38 special / 357 mag are also allowed indoors. The board of directors will be considering rifles in 45acp as well in the future. The backstop is very good.

I’d really appreciate any help people could be with finding a nearby pit for me to go shooting at. Not currently looking for a gun club to join given the circumstances. Please PM if you can help. Thanks!

Okay, so considering the country pond f&g is closed and I’m hearing these shots near me as I’m typing, there has to be a pit. Nobody has any clue? It sounds like it’s coming directly from the west. Located near circuit drive

You should probably have to join a club. Is Raymond close enough for you? Jack.

Raymond is pretty close, but I feel like any clubs will be shutting down soon if they haven’t already. I’ll probably look into it anyways. Thanks for the advice. It’s so frustrating because I know of so many good pits just over the border in mass, but I don’t have a license in mass.

Raymond is pretty close, but I feel like any clubs will be shutting down soon if they haven’t already. I’ll probably look into it anyways. Thanks for the advice. It’s so frustrating because I know of so many good pits just over the border in mass, but I don’t have a license in mass.
You also have the Chester club, which is close to the Raymond one. Check that one out also. Jack.

this actually makes me sick to hear that its easier to find places to plink in mass vs NH.

Found it. Private property, unfortunately for me. Oh well.

Lol did you find the owner? maybe make some friends.... [laugh]

This is the way the best informal shooting spots work anyways. Locals share them and keep them under their
hat. Or a landowner lets you use it with permission, etc. Obviously theres a trust burden invovled. Sometimes
it works.

-Mike

Okay, so considering the country pond f&g is closed and I’m hearing these shots near me as I’m typing, there has to be a pit. Nobody has any clue? It sounds like it’s coming directly from the west. Located near circuit drive
Could be someone shooting in their back yard. Just have to be 300' from an occupied dwelling, or on your own land, and not in a compact area of town.

Could be someone shooting in their back yard. Just have to be 300' from an occupied dwelling, or on your own land, and not in a compact area of town.

That’s what it ended up being, but it was the frequency that made me believe there were pits. Really wish I had land to shoot on. So jealous of people that can just walk out their back door.

Back
Top Bottom